Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirty_habiT

Scariest Movies

On 9/26/2017 at 9:18 PM, Fist 666 said:

I'm def interested in finding an actually scary movie to watch. so much shit today is reliant on jump-scares which are a real cop-out, and while they have their place, if those are the only scary moments in the "horror movie" its a failure.

Funny, my thoughts as I was clicking on this thread.  Seems like the formula became jump-scare, and when that was too predictable it became setting up predictable jumps but timing them a minute after the audience expects.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

@KultsThat looks amazing. 

I've refused to recognize that douche from the vampire movies as a real actor, but it seems he's actually earning his place.

It was hard for me too. Check out Good Time or The Rover. Those two convinced me. 

• Truth 1

Bump. Couple of timeless classics that are still scary af to this day. I’ll drop some modern jams later on that I think make the cut..

First and foremost.....DUH.

485ACBB7-F476-4C3E-8C34-C774DCA06848.jpeg.8acd91336aa1af3cbf45f4a3425de7fa.jpeg

This movie is still the scariest shit on earth to me over every thing ever.

I had nightmares for years and am still afraid of mirrors today. NolieOner. 

6A2D3222-D2F4-4FBD-B61C-C83EB1D480EF.jpeg.b9c56cca7d15dd71a90571bfe405b894.jpeg

EF424622-BE5F-46E5-ACE2-3099FD4B5E53.jpeg.aa735caa40f318fe7b831faf4ceaa4a3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Candy man and Cabrini Green terrified me. Miss the days where they shot on location in dangerous areas 

• Truth 1

Something about africa, ancient demons, witch doctors and plagues really did it for me. Also, James Earl Jones in a locust costume was hilarious in an offsetting way. Most hated it, I applaud them for trying something different. The sound Pazuzu makes too.. yeeesh

B892BCF4-146B-43FF-874C-1E228268710F.jpeg

• Like 1

This ones all kinds of fucked up. Kinda obscure for a Wes Craven movie. Think its based on a true story. Some Ivy Leaguer goes to Haiti to investigate claims that voodoo practitioners have figured out a way to make people zombies. Pretty freaky stuff

Clairvius Narcisse (January 2, 1922 – 1994) was a Haitian man said to have been turned into a zombie by a Haitian vodou preparation, purportedly a combination of psychoactive substances (oftentimes the paralyzing pufferfish venom tetrodotoxin and the strong deliriant Datura). The single greatest proponent of this possibility was a graduate student in ethnobotany at Harvard University, Wade Davis, who published two popular books based on his travels and ideas during and immediately following his graduate training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvius_Narcisse

serpent_and_the_rainbow.jpg

serpent and the rainbow still 3.jpg

• Truth 2
  • Props 1

5 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Watched HellHouse LLC recently.  It was pretty good, I wonder how accurate it was.

Even the second one was scurry. 

Come own people. I know niggas get scurry still. Dig deeper into your souls. 

The original amityville horror and the shining terrified the shit outta me as a kid. 
This scene from “summer school” scared the shit out of me when I first saw it as a child channel surfing on old cable. I’ve never seen the full movie (it’s a comedy and a bad one from what I can tell) but this scene was all I saw and was completely without context or a frame of reference when I saw it. It looked like bill and Ted massacred their classmates. It was this year I found said movie and scene after years of wondering what it was from. 

Edited by MrSirius
  • Like 2
  • LOL! 1

not gonna front. shit had me goin for a while. most likely will not return to a haunted house for another year after this one. Same shit that got me with that god damned “house October built” 😒

B163E89A-0659-46AF-BCFB-2387B89C73F5.thumb.jpeg.aa3096bf9d98dc40249e680a5ed0a35d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, Kults said:

This ones all kinds of fucked up. Kinda obscure for a Wes Craven movie. Think its based on a true story. Some Ivy Leaguer goes to Haiti to investigate claims that voodoo practitioners have figured out a way to make people zombies. Pretty freaky stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvius_Narcisse

serpent_and_the_rainbow.jpg

serpent and the rainbow still 3.jpg

I loved this movie as a kid - might have look and see if I can stream it again.

• Props 1

Ok so I've watched, because of this thread, Haunt, The Descent, and the Serpent and the Rainbow.

Here are my ratings and why.... these are my opinions.  They were all "good" but I'm super picky about these kinds of movies.

Haunt - this was a pretty good slasher/thriller.  Lots of jump scares.  Lots of situations where the characters are doing things and you are asking yourself "why in the fuck wouldn't you do xyz instead?"  I theorized that people like these kinds of movies because they make the viewer "feel smart" because the characters are doing stuff that's so dumb that anyone "smart" would be able to stop the bad things from happening and getting out of the situation.  I'd give this movie 3.5/5 stars or a 7.5/10 stars.

The Descent - this movie had a pretty good premise, pretty good story, good special effects for the monsters.  What pissed me off is that I feel like the women made so many dumb mistakes.  There are a lot of moments that will make you cringe from bones breaking and gashes in peoples' flesh.  I'd rate this movie 3/5 or 6.5/10.

The Serpent and the Rainbow - this movie was really pretty good.  I like older movies, but not too old.  I told my gf that the age of this movie meant  that it would be heavy on the acting and light on the cheesy special effects.  I was right because movies were made differently before computers were so heavily involved.  The acting was decent, the story was good, and they didn't beat you to death with crap effects.  I'd give this movie 4/5 or 8.5/10.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - this movie was good, they kinda rolled all the stories from the books into one movie.  I think they left it open at the end to make a sequel.  The special effects/monsters were on point IMO.  I'd say this was 4/5 or 9/10.

I'm not bad at math, I just wanted to give different ratings for a 5 point and 10 point scale.

I just purchased "The Void" on Amazon Prime, and I'm going to watch it.

Does anyone have any good scary tv shows they want to recommend? 

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) --> this is _really_ good IMO.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 12/30/2017 at 10:11 AM, Hua Guofang said:

The Thing.

The basics of the scenario as well as the way the alien manifest itself did it for me when I was 13. As did Hellraiser when I was about 12 and somewhat psychotropically tropiced.

I really liked this movie.  Both the old one and the new one.  I think my gf and I watched both in a row, or at least one day after  the other.  Would recommend both.

• Props 2

On 11/9/2019 at 2:20 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

I really liked this movie.  Both the old one and the new one.  I think my gf and I watched both in a row, or at least one day after  the other.  Would recommend both.

Some of the special effects in development:

image.png.9b9772a94b310aadacbf14734d280e3c.png

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 1:45 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

The Serpent and the Rainbow - this movie was really pretty good.  I like older movies, but not too old.  I told my gf that the age of this movie meant  that it would be heavy on the acting and light on the cheesy special effects.  I was right because movies were made differently before computers were so heavily involved.  The acting was decent, the story was good, and they didn't beat you to death with crap effects.  I'd give this movie 4/5 or 8.5/10.

I couldn't find it on any service over here dammit. I've got a recollection of them burying him with a tarantula and the scene of it crawling over his face in the dark. Amiright?

• Truth 2

2 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

I couldn't find it on any service over here dammit. I've got a recollection of them burying him with a tarantula and the scene of it crawling over his face in the dark. Amiright?

I believe so

Yep.

I finished watching Winchester and The Void.  Both great movies.  The Void was a little bit difficult for me to follow the plot but it kinda all came together at the end.  The special effects and creepy mutant monsters were pretty good.  I'd say the production quality was pretty solid.

Winchester was pretty good, the special effects were good, the story was good.

I'd recommend both movies to people that like scary movies.

I need more suggestions from you guys, I've ran out of stuff to watch and as you are probably aware there is a sea of bullshit scary movies out there.

• Like 1