Let's see your bicycles and talk about your builds.

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
So BMX is going through the 29er identity crisis that MTB went through over the last decade? Hmm.

That said, I owned a 29r for a few years and absolutely loved it. Still own a 26. and I do own a 24 BMX.

I have four bikes and every one of them is 26". Not because of any ideological trip but just because the last bike I bought new was the last of the 26ers in the category and I haven't bought a brand new bike since. I am in the market for a new 29" all mountain hardtail like a Kona Honzo but word on the street is that my household isgoing to have a whole new line of expenses soon so new bikes might be a luxury soon.

^^Someone has a bun in the oven!!

Weird. I love the 24s I've owned and ridden. Maybe they've changed geometry a bit in the last couple decades (I haven't bought a new BMX bike since standard chainrings stopped being a 43 or 44 tooth). I actually just packed my 24 and 26 in the moving truck and realized that wheelbase is almost exact axle to axle. (94 Redline 444 and a 99 Schwinn Homegrown).

Yeah, same for me on owning the old bmx bikes... I say "old" but in the past 10 years bmx's have gone from being either a super light race bike or a super heavy indestructible tank to ..... and indestructible light bike w/ different geometry. The new kids are doing the following:

*Frames have higher bottom brackets now/shorter seat tube. This has your centerline for the crank spindle higher off the ground.

*Super huge bus driver handle bars.

*2" long seat posts for seats. I actually had some young kid at Empire BMX tell me that all the new seatposts are like that because you're "not supposed to sit down on a bmx bike". Fucking kids.

*Light frames that have reinforcement in the right places.

*Odyssey makes a ton of "lifetime warranty" parts now that are meant to be abused.... and they're not lifetime warranty because they're cheap and break... they're that way because they're not supposed to break and Odyssey doesn't mind replacing them when you do.

*22" tall wheels/frames/forks.

*Spanish/euro bottom brackets for weight.... they're much smaller than an American bottom bracket and the parts in turn are lighter.

*Smaller chain rings and free wheels that don't bust chain rings or chains when you do grinds (frame grinds are a thing now)

*Cassette hubs that click way louder than I like. I was always a quiet freewheel kind of guy.

Those are the major changes I've seen happen in the scene recently. My younger brother keeps up with it a lot more than me these days. Oh, another thing I've noticed is there are a lot of people riding "DJ's" now. This is basically a mountain bike that they jump the bmx dirt jumps with. I don't know what is different about the geometry but the wheels are huge and they have full suspension. Some riders call them "squishes" because they have squishy suspension front forks. I really don't know how you can jump with the suspension sucking up your pump when you go off a lip. You wont see anyone doing 360 barspins on these.

My next bicycle will be something like this: https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/mountain/downhill/demo/sworks-demo-8/106995

I have to save a lot of lunch money to get it though. It costs more than a lot of people's shit box cars they drive.

• Like 1

There is.... this was one of the first fixes to fucking up chain rings/chains when doing and/or missing grinds. If your chain ring is on the standard right hand side of the bike and you grind with pegs on the right hand side of the bike, your drivetrain is in constant risk of being damaged. Of course a lot of BMX'rs will wear broken parts as a badge of honor but I think as people get a bit older they opt to not destroy their shit or their bodies. So, someone came up with the clever idea to move the drivetrain to the other side of the bike to prevent it from being ruined when street riding (grinding ledges and rails). That's the only "good" reason I've ever known anyone to go through the trouble of running a setup like that for. The parts are also limited because I believe you have to get rear hub that is threaded on the other side and a freewheel that freewheels in the opposite direction of any other free wheel.

• Like 1

They did in the 80s lol. I think they moved away from them because the weight required to make them strong enough to stand up to the constant abuse being put on them wasn't worth it. Another thing that was popular for a while was using motorcycle chains that wouldn't break as easily.... these were obviously a lot more heavy but would still break when you have a 200lb rider slamming himself, the weight of the bike, plus whatever extra momentum from motion down onto a coping with a disaster stall/grind. Now people use half-link chains (like what's on my bike) because they allow more precise adjustment of chain length.... and the strength of it doesn't matter much because I don't beat the crap out of my stuff that I pay for like kiddos do when their parents pay for everything.

• 3 weeks later...

An upgrade I did today on a 20 dollar, thrift store score. The bike was complete except the front spring and bracket. The fork crown was just resting against the head tube? It was already as you see it in these pictures painted that green and the rust pitting overall. A lot of this will be changed eventually. I just want to get it a little more ride-able.

Today I switched out the 3" cranks for 5" cranks.

pl5zexc.jpg.472f6b1cd9e978865dd608851702ff97.jpg

^ Notice that 3" crank. Makes riding beyond a single residential city block very difficult.

GXrTIer.jpg.89eeec37ba16a572b366d4afb0f23e11.jpg

^ purchased a used Lucky 7 with 5" crank set.

jFm5PbM.jpg.a5407f5db6f142aa0fa00c715c788226.jpg

^ First I removed the chain guard but then lost two of the mounting screws so I wont be reinstalling that today.

2vjRphk.jpg.ead607dca4eae7b0a381a2c15d4aa227.jpg

^ Left side = righty-loosey, lefty-tighty

VdTMSkC.jpg.dae92e801c415c293297fd7e44706a29.jpg

^ The 36mm wrench is too big so it must be a 30mm nut. I don't have one of those in 30mm so an adjustable will have to do.

P18ce3M.jpg.67a1daf2db0bf829b7ee6be50cee8d26.jpg

^ Remember, lefty-tighty

9AC5x88.jpg.bf2fd5d5796427fe8c55fabe2506091e.jpg

^ There are left and right side pedals

XkwT8iy.jpg.6768eb7e06458be10d6066f485114118.jpg

^ There is now more efficiency from each rotation of 5" cranks

lgkUT5N.jpg.bd67f71a68214c998de7cbeb7d6b0515.jpg

^ I'll dig around in the screws jar to install the chain guard again

• Like 2

Just found out the headset on my DH build is shitted.

There goes another couple of hundred on what was supposed to be a cheap build.....

Was able to get a new Nukeproof Warhead for $50 and an Easton direct mount length adjustable stem for $35 - both on sale. Stoked.

Also picked up a headset removal tool and will make my own headset press like this:

69e40ada8fce9280f9bc2b930b4b64a0.jpg.136e08188f1c1a2fff27d02cbd0856a0.jpg

Should be bombing runs by Sunday if things go to plan.

• Like 2

Yeah, wow, those original cranks are tiny! That would be very difficult to ride. Great pick up on that new cranks set though. The tyres look to be still in pretty good condition.

Don't all bikes have opposing threads on the drive train? Every bike I've owned has.

Ok, That's what I figured and knew most bicicletas thread contributing 12oz members here would know that but I had to look at the crank set threads to remind myself ahead of time. Then described it here for those who may not have known that.

I've been trying to remove the bottom bracket on this Rocky Mountain without success. Any advice? Is the left side reverse thread, and the right side right hand thread?

xei81qu.jpg.8f8ff890138f1980fdad058ff161f784.jpg

PJyDOWK.jpg.aea18d00923f38c6695b2fa78b43dccc.jpg

^ left side pictured

Most BBs have arrows to show which way to turn them (can't recall off the top of my head but can check the directions when I get home tonight).

On the right hand side of the bottom bracket as pictured, is that an arrow I can see there?

IT may also be that it's been rusted in over the years. Flushing it with some thread loosener (M3, WD40, etc.) and letting is sit for 24 hours can halp if it's seized.

• 1 year later...

8F74E96A-4776-4991-8393-19C0D2707289.thumb.jpeg.267ffae2e08883a1452f12bedeb19904.jpegMan, I totally forgot about this thread.  I have stuff to add since it's been a while since I've been here.  I have acquired and begun riding dirt bikes in enduro/off-road scenarios.  One of the critical things to riding off road with friends is this:

https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/packtalk-bold/

There are other brands that do similar, but this specific one came highly recommended by friends.  One thing that you will require to use one is a full face helmet because it has to be installed in the helmet.  It's nice, however, because even if you ride alone you can answer calls and listen to music through your helmet from your phone.  Being able to communicate with other riders without stopping or yelling is fantastic.... and after using this on dirt bikes, it made me wonder why you don't see the mountain bike and road bike communities using something like this.

I think the road bike guys probably won't wear a full face helmet because of it's weight.

Another thing I wanted to tell you guys about, Texas has a ski lift downhill mountain bike park now.  It's about 1.5h north of me/Austin, TX.  I haven't ridden there yet, but my friends that have say it's awesome.  My brother's friends in the BMX circle here are the ones that are building all the trails out there.  It's called Spider Mountain. 

https://www.spidermountain.com/

If any of you guys ever make your way down here I can probably show you around.  I know where all the good off road trails are in town..... or most of them anyway.

I am also building a 20" bmx race bike.  I never got into racing when i was younger but always wanted to.  My parents could not afford to cater to that hobby, it is quite expensive to buy competitive equipment and spend all the time up at the track practicing constantly.  In any case, now that I'm an adult, I can build whatever bike I want.  My racing division would be 35-40yr old men if I race in the ABA.

Anyway, my bike I'm building is a Standard Bikes 125R w/ 21.25" top tube and custom powder coated flame red w/ silver flake clear coat.  It looks fucking awesome.  I did kinda buy the frame and set it in my room though.  I need to start getting parts together for it and build it.

• Like 2

Here's my newest build.  The handlebars for BMX by Renthal are pretty hard to find.  I had to order these ones from a European vendor because there were none available in the USA.  In the box behind the candle are the rest of the parts for the DX v-brakes.  I am not sure why BMX racing still uses v-brakes.  I can only guess it's because they're light and stop really well?  I dunno.  All of my other bikes have 990s on them.

162A72B5-2AFE-41AD-B276-18D6F3B23743.thumb.jpeg.13fdc9923e851cf735900e337615ef46.jpeg2F320353-9698-4E5A-978C-FB17CDF4AED0.thumb.jpeg.f7b68211fd9a14047dd852e5d1020618.jpeg

• Like 1

Helmet comms are a very efficient way of communication. Like you said, yelling just doesn't cut it, all the time. I just use FRS on bicycle rides and they're good enough for the way we ride. With exceptions of navigation into a left turn in a busy intersection, using one hand to PTT isn't really a problem. 

Spider Mountain looks RAD!

I've only acquired 2 bikes since my last post. One was from a bike builder friend who needed money more than bikes at the time, so it was already built. I'll post pics later because it's nice! And the other was a raffle win score from a radio station. SUN beach cruiser.

I'm down to two BMX bikes right now. Had 3 but it was stolen some years back.  None of which are performance like yours posted above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

snap some FIXIE FOO pics while moving apts 

KHS Flight 100 in Merlot paint. 60 cm Clydesdale  edition 😎 lol

741BEBF2-E8F3-40F6-A206-927E4C1689A6.jpeg

FSA chainring, OMNIUM cranks, ORIGIN 8 pedals and cheapo clips. BMX chain with #trackslack

FC195D07-0A68-4E87-BF18-B1AA82F4F541.jpeg

RITCHEY X DELUXE stem, CINELLI pepper risers, MASH donut top cap, BONTRAGER mtn bike grips, No name front brake, handle and copper bell

D32F0D59-DAE9-425A-85DD-B06BFA2FC384.jpeg

80639CBE-6714-4F1E-B70C-AA2BC0CC0619.jpeg

Stock saddle, seat post and clamp. Stock rims. GATORSKIN in the front. Cheap Chinese tire in back (hella tight skids brah). Sticker care of @earmuffs

CCC1920C-CF19-448E-81C0-77D0F4D793A5.jpeg

• Like 2

My last  build.  

56cm cinelli vigorelli frame

H+sons archetypes laced to Phil wood hubs

phil wood bottom bracket

phil wood cog

deda pista drop bars

thomson Eliot seat post

fizik saddle

sugino 75 crank set

gator skin tires 

cinelli mash stem

really miss this bike. 

63E62EAF-DC02-40BD-8E0D-6CE052029515.jpeg

B45044D9-42F1-4419-A466-E12B1B2015A6.jpeg

7D5142DE-7CFD-43AC-B77D-6A3CC87568EA.jpeg

9F9B876B-B366-4F76-BB0E-8A7F473198A3.jpeg

Edited by earmuffs
  • Like 2
  • Props 1

• 5 months later...

I have 3 bikes, only one on the road. The other two are passed their use by dates but I can't bear to part them out as they both have deep sentimental value for me and have ridden in countries and places that I can barely explain (take, for instance, through a 'prison-like suburb on an Estonian island', 'on 'networking' trips in scary countries', etc. etc.).

They now hang on my garage wall as art.

Going to hit the trails today - no CV19 cases in my state and the hospitals can afford to deal with my broken body parts when I fuck up into the dirt!!!

• Props 1