~That thing on the subway....

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

OK, some of you seen it some of you heard about it. I'm talking about that animation patent thats been instaled in the london subway(at first) and in many euro subways later.

It works like this:

You're on the train lookin out the window, and on the wall at your side there are these lighting signs, each one is a frame and as you see them with the speed of the train and your eye focused on the only bright thing, you see a lil movie. I hope you know what i'm talking about.

Now, i know some people in here work with movies and know stuff(ghhhhhmm, zesto?) some others may have read about it or even have a nice link/book/article whatever.

I'm mostly interested in the frame rate and the number of frames(signs) that is required,

anyone? thanx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

its the tube on the subway, cheesedick

Akaline, so i think 12 would work. Now...what about the frequency?

lets break it down, we have 5 secs of filmed material which is 60 frames and the train is going at about 60km/h(30miles?) how much length that should have, what would be a good spacing between the frames?

Now...what about the frequency?

lets break it down, we have 5 secs of filmed material which is 60 frames and the train is going at about 60km/h(30miles?) how much length that should have, what would be a good spacing between the frames?

oh my god i just had a flash back to the dreaded fourth grade word problems....dont ask me im hiding under my desk waiting for recess....

Okay, I think I might have figured this out ... At 60 km/h (37.28 mi/h), with 12 frames/second, for 5 seconds, you would need a total length of 273.4 feet. Each frame would be 4.557 feet long.

You are going to have to do some kind of prototype or test of some kind to see if this actually works right, but I think that should do it. Go to the library and check out a couple of books on animation. I'm sure there are tons of books that teach you how to make a slot wheel animation (I don't think that's the traditional term for it, but I think you know what I'm talking about). Since that's basically what you are doing with this subway tunnel, this could be a really good way to test your animation on a scaled level. I dunno ... do some experiments.

Also, there has to be a company that is making and installing these advertising frames in the tunnels. Try to get in contact with them. Say that you are running a story on the science and design of these ads for your "design school newspaper." Ask tons of questions. This will be a good way to get information.

• 4 months later...

man, I can't believe I missed this thread... I remember hearing about this about 6 years ago, when it was in the planning stages... ever since I have dreamed of the 'live action bomb'... perhaps one day...

Guest imported_Tesseract

Dude! I cant believe you found that thread!...Btw, same here, i see these coca cola ads everyfuckin day in the subway, i want that spot so bad!...i even though about doing it legaly..but that just doesnt cut it...after the olympics maybe...

Guest deadlydnut

Here's what you do, you go to your tubes if their running this shit, go to the frames on the tube, then instead of figuring out the math and shit, Just make your own frames and go right over theirs, then you dont need to worry about spacing / other shit, you just measure how big the frame needs to be and how many you need...

Originally posted by deadlydnut

Here's what you do, you go to your tubes if their running this shit, go to the frames on the tube, then instead of figuring out the math and shit, Just make your own frames and go right over theirs, then you dont need to worry about spacing / other shit, you just measure how big the frame needs to be and how many you need...

brilliant

x

the patco speedline from philly to jersey has one right before the ben franklin bridge when your going from philly to jersey, its an add for dasani bottled water. its a pretty cool idea im sure someone made alot of money of it.

Guest --zeSto--

http://www-groups.dcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~history/Miscellaneous/JCMBhouse/Zoetrope.jpeg'>

yep... I missed this thread... because I was asleap!

I know all about frame rates and the effects of shutter speed,

but this bit of math all comes down to distance and velocity.

I say... sneak into the tunnel after the last train and remove all the signs,

then you'll have a working template! Just dont get squashed!

I think that, in the planning stages at least, there was some sort of 'vented' window covering attached to the train itself... this is just an arbitrary number, but you could only see out the window from a 35 - 50 degree angle or something... kinda like the kinetiscope up above...

is that a kinetiscope or something else? I have to go to work... I'm a couple hours late...

Guest --zeSto--

it's a zoetrope, the first EVER moving picture machine.

They shot a series of stills of a horse running, then put them together

and make the first action-movie-chase-scene.

the Kineticscope was WAY more adwanced. It was built by Edison

and it was a combo camera/peep-hole projector.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/edhtml/scopeopsm.jpg'>

then along came the Lumiere Bothers from France and the world changed...

yeah, I had a feeling I was using the wrong word... thanks man :)

as I recall the Zoetrope was developed using candles as a light source and Edison put an electric bulb into the kinetiscope... but I could be wrong about that as well...

one of the things you "go and check it out on foot" folk may be overlooking is that, the frames are split up over several rectangular surfaces and reassembled by the viewers eye into a full 'frame'... but somewhere in between the 4 (let's say) panels that make a 'frame' are a couple panels from the next 'frame', this is how they create the smooth motion animation... anyway, when you get down there it might be so confuckulated that you can't tell where one thing begins and another ends...

oh yeah... work... time to find a clean shirt...

Guest --zeSto--

there's no light source with a zoetrope.

You're thinking of the classic 'pin-hole-camera'.

The "footage" for the zoetrope is simple a series of pictures,

held on the indside of the drum. There's no further light or lenses.

It's about a basic as a cartoon flipbook.

Archived