Weight Training - Not Weight Loss

Poop Man Bob

This question is a little more specific than Aser1ne's.

I have no desire whatsoever to lose weight. I'm about 6'1" and weigh upwards of 145 lbs - mostly due to Crohn's disease, this thing affecting my small intestine.

Anyway, I've started working out (lifting weights) but what to know what to eat that will help spur along the process of putting a few pounds on my frame. I want to stay as natural as possible because of the previously mentioned problem, so no GNC weight gainers or shit like that.

Plus, any help in the area of weight training would be swello - such as how often to work out, anything basic to do, etc. I've been working out in my apartment complex's shitty weight room, which has little more than a few machines. Bench press, butterflies, shoulder pull-down thing (these are the correct names. Ha.)

So. Yeah. Help. Please. :cool:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Eat rich foods that have a lot of carbs. Basically the opposite of what was in the "I'm Fat" thread except for the sodas. To bulk up with some muscle, you would want to lift big weights with smaller reps. Work out every other day. Don't work out everyday. Your muscles need time to repair, they get bigger when they repair after being torn during the workout. To get cut lift smaller amounts of weight but keep those reps high.

+weight -reps=Big Muscles

-weight +reps=Cut ,definition

ok.... simple.....

carbs on your day off. lift every other day (unless you want to lift daily, but i doubt you are going to be pounding creatine with some sort of chrons or whatever.) on my day off i pump carbs... tons of pasta, bread, cereal, etc.... on the days i actually lift i do the protein overload. Egg whites for breakfast with a big protein shake. Then a protein bar right before im about to go lift. Then I hit the gym and ride stretch. I then ride the bike or run the treadmill for 15 minutes. This starts up my system ya heard. Then its onto actual weight training. Lift a weight that is easy for you to do 5 reps of the first 3 sets, and then starts to get heavy on the 4th and fifth time. On the fourth time, add 10 lbs, then on the last set take 10 lbs off. this is a fast way to add more weight and bulk up bigger. Always mix up your routine to "trick" your muscles and make them hurt more. fuck i dont wanna type anymore. Protein on days you lift. carbs on days off. dont mix. OH....eat TONS of mashed potatoes and chicken and eggs on days you lift.

simple. and always stretch good.

chicken.

pasta. lots of it.

carbs.

when i put on a to of weight, it was basically from a steady diet offast food cigaraettes and beer. seriously, i just got fat and then went from there. fat turns into muscle no matter how you look at it. that was my route, might as well enjoy it.

When I want to put on mass I lift heavy and of course intake more carbs. but I also take Nlarge weight gainer its made by pro lab I think besides taking it as a drink I put it in my oatmeal. I also do dead lifts and its a hell of a way to get a massive back.

dont pass off weight gainer formulas as being 'un natural'... they are totally natural, just more of the natural stuff that puts on weight. also, i was on creatine for a while and dont front, that shit hooks you up. i bulked up alot faster after i started that. i didnt notice any side effects or strange shit either, and normaly im a freak about taking stuff so i would have noticed...

i copied this from my reply in aser's post. i hope it helps:

I work out 6 days a week, here's my routine:

Monday/ Friday: chest, triceps, shoulders, abs, 30-45 min. cardio

Tuesday/ Saturday: biceps, back, 30-45 min. cardio

Wednesday: Legs, abs, 30-45 min. cardio

Thursday: Rest

Sunday: 30-45 min. cardio, abs

for cardio i do the EFX

Monday workout:

bench: warm-up set, pyramid sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps

military press: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

french curls/ nose breakers: 3 sets x 8-10 reps, 10 presses after each set (this helps build your triceps and lower/ inner pecs)

incline bench press: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

shrugs: 3 sets x 15 reps

tricep pull-downs: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

cable cross-overs OR decline bench press: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

dumbell lateral raises: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

overhead tricep extensions with dumbells:3 sets x 8-10 reps

abs

cardio 30-45 min.

Tuesday:

barbell curls: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

seated rows: 3 sets x 15 reps

seated hammer curls: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

lat pull-downs: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

preacher curls: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

reverse crunches: 3 sets x 25 reps

cardio

Wednesday:

squats: warm-up set, pyramid sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps

leg extensions: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

leg abductions: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

calf raises: 3 sets x 20-25 reps

lunges: 3 sets x 10 reps (each leg)

abs

cardio

Thursday:

REST!!!

Friday:

dumbell bench presses: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

french curls/ nose breakers: 3 sets x 8-10 reps, 10 presses after each set

incline dumbell presses: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

abs

cardio

Alternate Friday:

close grip bench press: warm up set, 3 sets x 8-10 reps

french curls/ nose breakers: 3 sets x 8-10 reps, 10 presses after each set

close grip incline press: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

abs

cardio

Saturday:

repeat Tuesday

Sunday:

cardio

abs

basically my DONT'S in eating:

never eat fried food

no candy whatsoever

no pop at all, very minimal juice...like 1 OJ for breakfast

nothing high in saturated fat, i.e. butter!

no fast food

just think to yourself before u eat: does this serve any nutrirional purpose, or is it empty calories that will make me fat?

what i try to eat:

protein protein protein

drink nothing but water, skim milk, protein shakes

ALWAYS eat breakfast, breakfast is seriously so good for you, it speads up your metabolism better that any other natural thing

i eat very often, i have like 5-7 small, nutritious meals a day...less also speads the fuck out of your metabolism

supplements:

the ONLY shit i use is Pro Performance 100% whey protein supplement; no hydroxycut, creatine, or anything else along those lines. i have a very strong ethic about my body, i do everything on my own. i dont want to rely on shit to do it for me.

well dude that basically does it. i hope u appreciate all this fuckin typing. but for real, my routine works. i dont mean to sound cocky but: im 19 yrs old, i weigh 164 ish, and i bench 300 lbs. i have nothing but dedication for working out though. my whole schedule is designed around working out and i spend 2-2.5 hrs. in the gym on most days. i act as a trainer to my friends that lift and my routine has shown drastic improvements for them. well that's it. good luck dude. remember: effort, dedication, time, and be positive.

any questions, hit me up on AIM: oldirtywilliams or email: oldirtywilliams@aol.com

i've gained 20 pounds since i started taking Cell Tech creatine. I was on a GNC creatine before.

You don't need weight gainer if you have access to a lot of food. But if you work during the day and shit, then you may want to consider a weight gainer. Weight gainer usually just has a lot of carbs, protein, and calories. I'd say just eat til you can't stop. Eat a shitload of food before you go to sleep. Eat a shitload on your off days.

Originally posted by seeking innocence

dont pass off weight gainer formulas as being 'un natural'... they are totally natural, just more of the natural stuff that puts on weight. also, i was on creatine for a while and dont front, that shit hooks you up. i bulked up alot faster after i started that. i didnt notice any side effects or strange shit either, and normaly im a freak about taking stuff so i would have noticed...

I know that a lot of the whey protein and weight gainer formulas are natural ... unnatural was a bad choice of words on my part. I'm just trying to stay away from anything like Creatine because of my previously mentioned condition.

I was on Creatine for about 4 months before I got sick, and I honestly think it lowered my immune system. I was getting sick all of the time - just colds and sore throats, but they never went away regardless of whether I stopped working out or what not. I suppose, much like everything else, that everyone's body reacts differently.

ODW, I'll IM you later tonight. Thanks for the info.

the Nlarge stuff that I mentioned before works I went from 200 to 215,

I was also eating pretty good. And with the heavy lifting I do. It bulked me up good, I dont use creatine just because I didnt notice much of a difference with it. But a lot of other people have.

i used to take creatine and the shit worked. but like theres so much speculation on it like kidney failure and muscles turning to water when u get off it, its like u cant go wrong if u go natural. when i got out of the hospital from surgery, i was a lot weaker than before so i figured id start over naturally. that was prolly the smartest choice id made in a while.

first off your body produces Creatine.. at a rate of roughly 3grams per day, but your body also uses that 3grams per day. So basically what your doing when your taking Creatine, is your causing an abundance of it in your body...it keeps your muscles saturated with water which in turn keeps all the lactic acid flowing out(your muscles start to burn from a build up of lactic acid) and protein and other nutrients flowing in.. it works well for me, I've noticed gains in strength, stamina and size..

second.. fat does NOT turn to muscle...fat stays as fat, and muscle grows..ther'es no fat to muscle transformation.. they are different types of tissue, it's like a salmon turning into a trout.. does'nt happen..

on my lifting days, I eat a protein shake about half an hour before I lift, and then immediately afterwards.. like while I'm changing, or showering.. liquid protein is essential because after you lift, your muscles are ready to receive anything you put into your body.. but the window closes fairly fast. If you eat whole food, the amount of time it takes to digest is too long, and your muscles won't take full advantage of the protein your giving them..

if whey bothers your stomach, try a liquid amino acid, you can get them at GNC, and the ones I take are called Liquid 2222..anyways, they have all of your essential and non-essential amino's and 22 grams of protein..so that would be sufficient.. alright bro get to it..

chills

• 3 months later...

bump for weightlifing...

i have been trying all differnent kinds of protein suppliments, and am thinking about taking creatine, but I don't know how sure I am about it...

do you only take in on the days you work out?

do you only take it just before you work out?

has anyone stopped taking it after a while and noticed their muscles returning to their smaller form? I have heard actually through a doctor that they have seen people "creatine loading" and then watched their muscles shirnk considerably after they stop taking it...

anyways......if you have advice, product names....shit like that..

help me out. thanks in advance

oh also..........if i really don't want to gain fat or look bulky, but I want to stay lean and gain muscle......what are the right suppliments (i.e. not weightgainer 5 million)

I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS AND I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT EVERYBODY WHO OFFERED ADVICE IS PRETTY MUCH ON SPOT. ODW'S ROUTINE LOOKS GOOD. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO GAIN WEIGHT TRY TO EAT MORE PROTEIN AND CALORIES (HEALTHY) BECAUSE THE CARDIO WILL BEGIN TO TAKE ENERGY FROM MUSCULAR CELLS RATHER THAN FROM THE FAT. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, REDUCE THE CARBS. ONCE YOU GET GOING I'LL SEND THE BEST BENCH WORKOUT I'VE EVER HAD. IN 13 WEEKS I WENT FROM A LITTLE MORE THAN A 345 LB. ONE REP MAX. TO 382 LBS. GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

Guest willy.wonka

i got the BOWFLEX!!!

I drink lots of water...

workout for a good while..then i eat...BOWFLEX works baby!its fun to use too.

Re: i got the BOWFLEX!!!

Originally posted by willy.wonka

I drink lots of water...

workout for a good while..then i eat...BOWFLEX works baby!its fun to use too.

no shit! i have a bowflex too...yea...

what about creatine? anyone gonna respond to my last question?

OOPS, I MISREAD THE QUOTE. ANYWAYS, SINCE I DONT HAVE A SPOTTER I'M FORCED TO GO WITH LIGHTER WEIGHT AND A FEW MORE REPS. I DO 3 SETS OF 8 REPS ON BOTH FLAT AND INCLINE BENCH. IF I CAN FIND A SPOTTER I ALSO ADD IN SOMETHING CALLED "STATIC CONTRACTIONS." WITH THAT I HOLD AN AMOUNT OF WEIGHT I KNOW IS DIFFICULT TO LIFT JUST BELOW THE LOCK-OUT POINT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS TO FURTHER SHOCK THE MUSCLES.

Archived