Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fox Mulder

Rolling Nowhere

Reading a good book is like having the author right there in your room telling it to you. That's why I don't read good books.

Originally posted by EL MASKO

Reading a good book is like having the author right there in your room telling it to you. That's why I don't read good books.

HAHAHA

i started reading a friends a while ago, i just picked up my own copy the other day. the book is really good, i reccomend it!!

Guest me IS cool

Get yourself a book called BOMB THE SUBURBS, it has a good segment on the fr8 movement... I read it and it wasn't the best but you do learn some useful information... well I did anyway. :D

I have also read freight train cars... decent stuff, even though it feels like a childrens book....

also I am currently reading: classic american railroads and the rail lines of southern new england and a book about sailor tattoos... all at the same time

Guest rolldafukout

i hate big books with little words! hah

Guest professor poopatronic

can we get any author names?

Rolling Nowhere is by Ted Conover, an excellent book. He even mentions one of his riding buddies doing "phantom strikes again" streaks on boxcars, some of that guys stuff is still visible on old southern pacific cars. The book came out around 1981 and is still probably the most up to date book written about factual hopping experiences.

Guest fr8lover

im about halfway through the book and its really interesting...but i cant get it out of my head that a lot of it seems like he may have embellished in parts, as far as conversations and people go it seems like theres quite a bit of creativity going into it...who knows.

Guest professor poopatronic

do they carry it in major bookstores? and would it be in the fiction section or something else?

Guest fr8lover

i got it in the borders sociology section under anthropology i believe

If you want a neat book about the railroads...

www.deskmap.com check out the Professional Railroad Atlas of north america.. its fucking expensive, but its got a ton of good info.. and maps.. maps .. maps.. Me and some freinds pooled money to get it, and I can say its been semi worthwhile.. the best part is being able to look up the call #'s on anything and find out where its from. (what company that is)

Guest 455

check out "The Mole People" and "The Guide to Riding Trains"..no joke.it shows you the do's and don'ts...very interesting.

Just ordered "Rolling Nowhere"

Just took a trip down to my local suburban wasteland mall and ordered "Rolling Nowhere," by Ted Conover. Barnes&Noble don't carry it, but they can get it, unlike "Hopping Freight Trains in America," which I had to order from the publisher. My wife was back in the Music Section while I was perusing some books about the 1968 Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War. She bought a Travis Tritt CD ("Down the Road I Go") that has some pretty good cuts on it. I know that probably very few of you guys listen to country & western, and frankly, I find a lot of it pretty boring. But I do enjoy the really old stuff (Bob Wills especially--western swing) and "crossover" country. Here in Houston there is a country station that plays ten songs in a row that "Sound Like Texas"--every song has either some direct connection to Texas (Texas artist, recorded here, the subject is about Texas or SOMETHING) and they play blues, rock'n'roll and '60s and '70s tunes that "sound like Texas." They play the hell out of old Travis Tritt. One of these tunes, "Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde" has some haunting ass Dobro licks. I like a couple of the other cuts too, especially a hot rock 'n' roll version of "Southbound Train.". Anybody out there like bluegrass? I love bluegrass music. I was astounded to discover bluegrass musicians in Okinawa and mainland Japan, and damn good ones, too.

Kabar, have you read Rolling Nowhere in the past ? If not then you're gonna love it. I know it was out of print and hard to get for a while but have heard its recently become available again. Conover's other books are also very interesting, especially "NewJack" and "Coyotes". He always places himself in these forbidden and/or most undesirable situations, lives through them (luckily),and then proceeds to write extremely interesting books about them. Definitely one of my favorite authors.

My copy of "Rolling Nowhere" finally showed up, and I think it's a great book. Conover did a good job. I'm about halfway through it, and so far I'm enjoying it immensely. The only drawback is that Conover is essentially a tourist with good camouflage, but that still doesn't detract from the story. While many of the guys I knew (including myself) could have probably written a book like this, I doubt any of us could have successfully gotten published. Thanks for the suggestion---it's WELL WORTH the cover price.

I actually really like bluegrass. Most people find that weird that a 15 year old skateboarder would. I like ralph stanley, doc and richard watson, e.t.c. Doc watson is one of my favorites.

Guest wakassOATH

Re: Just ordered "Rolling Nowhere"

Originally posted by KaBar

Just took a trip down to my local suburban wasteland mall and ordered "Rolling Nowhere," by Ted Conover. Barnes&Noble don't carry it, but they can get it, unlike "Hopping Freight Trains in America," which I had to order from the publisher. My wife was back in the Music Section while I was perusing some books about the 1968 Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War. She bought a Travis Tritt CD ("Down the Road I Go") that has some pretty good cuts on it. I know that probably very few of you guys listen to country & western, and frankly, I find a lot of it pretty boring. But I do enjoy the really old stuff (Bob Wills especially--western swing) and "crossover" country. Here in Houston there is a country station that plays ten songs in a row that "Sound Like Texas"--every song has either some direct connection to Texas (Texas artist, recorded here, the subject is about Texas or SOMETHING) and they play blues, rock'n'roll and '60s and '70s tunes that "sound like Texas." They play the hell out of old Travis Tritt. One of these tunes, "Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde" has some haunting ass Dobro licks. I like a couple of the other cuts too, especially a hot rock 'n' roll version of "Southbound Train.". Anybody out there like bluegrass? I love bluegrass music. I was astounded to discover bluegrass musicians in Okinawa and mainland Japan, and damn good ones, too.

hey kabar.. i saw on one of yer posts that you were in the marines.. did you fight in the vietnam war? man it was fuked up. im in saigon at the moment

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this