Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
breakfast menu

in debt, out of debt, back in debt

I'm an example of someone who didn't go to college and managed to "make it". I'm going to be 35 in August and by myself I'm bringing in well above the average family income in Austin, TX. It really happened because I self studied and always liked to nerd out on linux stuff in my free time. I've done a ton of jobs that weren't my specialty getting to where I am now. It took a lot of work on my part that nobody could do for me or help me with. I was a diesel mechanic, a photo lab technician at Eckerds, my first job was a cook at KFC, I resurfaced counter tops and bath tubs using tools and techniques used to paint cars, I poured concrete with a good friend for a year, and I finally got my foot in the door at a web host back in 2002.

I'll share a good resource that I've been reading the daily newsletters from lately that has great work place advice. Ladders.com (no I'm not being paid for advertising) used to specialize in 6 figure and up jobs only. It was a job search site and still is but I think they're under different owners now. Anyway, the point is they have some really great tips that they email out several times a week that I thought was click bait in my email box to begin with. I finally looked at one and realized, holy shit, this info is good info. For anyone having trouble finding direction or trying to figure out how to improve their chances of moving up the ladder there are some great mentors that have been writing articles for their emails on that site.

On the subject of college: I never could figure out what I wanted to go to school for because I never could figure out what I'd be happy doing for any long period of time. Doing all the odd jobs I did taught me about working and getting along with people. A job is almost what I'd describe to be like jail, you're forced to be here because you have to pay bills, and you may not like everyone that is here but you still have to be here. The better you are at getting along with others and positioning yourself for success the easier time you'll have getting where you want to go. I know that's going to be a far fetched analogy for some people but it makes sense to me after dealing with coworkers that are annoying to me in a place that I want to be successful at. Today I'd like to attend some community college classes, but I want to do it by paying for the classes straight up out of pocket. I want to learn welding so that I can make things that I can potentially sell or do welding services for people that are willing to pay for them.

In any case, I hope this is inspiration for someone that is reading and feels stuck. Keep working. Oh, one last thing, the biggest pay raises you will ever get are not going to be within the company you're currently at. It will be from jumping ship to a new job. Never be afraid to negotiate salary because employers want to lowball you and get good work for cheap when their budget usually allows for more than they're offering up front.

Good thread and I hope to hear more good stories here.

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I graduated high school a year later than planned, joined the marines seeing as I didn't want to be where I was at and if I was going to do it might as well do it all the way. Fast forward to now I am now out of the military 1year and 6 months, mid twenties without a clue as to what I want to do with myself I've been working jobs here and there, barbacking and warehouse jobs, just to make ends meet. I'm currently enrolled in college only really doing it for the money and I guess a education wouldn't be bad either. Still I can't see myself wasting another four years on an education I won't be using. Also currently on third round hiring process of fire rescue for the county.

I guess what I'm trying to say is should I do this college thing or this fire rescue thing?

I pologize for my shitty sentences and stuff

@TPWF2021

GI Bill was a great experience for me. But you get out what you put into it.

There is a new version of the Gi Bill (from montgomery or post 9/11) called Forever Gi Bill or some shit that could get passed within the next few months--with some variance on what type of schools it can be used for, such as coding bootcamps, if you're looking for something different than the traditional undergrad experience. Pick a city with a high cost of living and get some high BAH. Denver is about 2200/mo nowadays, Boston and NY are several thousand/month. Make it work for you.

• Like 2

Nice thread.

Hella mad fitting-like for whats going on in my life right now, it's also pretty interesting to see where some of you folks have gone with your careers & lives over the years.

I feel like I am at a critical point, a junction in my own life. School or Keep on with my trades. I dunno. My situation is hard as fuck to explain -

I have been heavily, and deeply entrenched in Humboldt. All facets, 2010 is when I got to manage my first property. Agricultural Manager is what my resume says just to alleviate a 5 year employment gap. I began a transition back to the legitimate side of things and suddenly found myself working HVAC in the Bay Area. Those warehouse grows in Oakland, all the ducting, climate control and ventilation. Yeah HVAC. Meanwhile my little brother is graduating from UCSC (Santa Cruz) with a heavy environmental degree and it's like the race is on.

These would be my last years to go beast in school on grants and test out ASAP just to have the piece of paper... that ironically doesnt seem to mean much.

And with a lot of the trades I'm looking towards- I just dont want to go Union. Fuck the union.

I've had people tell me to create two separate resume's, one for the cannabis industry and one for the rest...

I am trying to walk both sides of the fence...this strange grey area the industry sits within. Federally fuckable, and state tolerance is so unpredictable.

Hmm. Irons in the fire, I gotta sort my shit out.

I graduated high school a year later than planned, joined the marines seeing as I didn't want to be where I was at and if I was going to do it might as well do it all the way. Fast forward to now I am now out of the military 1year and 6 months, mid twenties without a clue as to what I want to do with myself I've been working jobs here and there, barbacking and warehouse jobs, just to make ends meet. I'm currently enrolled in college only really doing it for the money and I guess a education wouldn't be bad either. Still I can't see myself wasting another four years on an education I won't be using. Also currently on third round hiring process of fire rescue for the county.

I guess what I'm trying to say is should I do this college thing or this fire rescue thing?

I pologize for my shitty sentences and stuff

Tight pants wearing faggot 2021? Haha

I suggest using GI bill to get your Master Blackbelt LEAN Sigma Six certification and using it to get a GS job with the govt. You can take the classes online from various unis. They can't find enough people to full the jobs.

• Like 1

I was just reading back through this. I had to go look up what Master Blackbelt LEAN Sigma Six was. I kept scanning information thinking I was going to see some reference to martial arts somewhere and was wondering to myself what that will do to pay the bills. I was wrong about my initial thinking on what that was.

I gave some consideration to some other things that can help people looking to grow and advance in the job market. If you intend to stick to one type of job, like I have, networking can be one of your biggest assets. I mean networking with people. Do NOT burn any bridges if possible even with people you do not like or get along with. The reason for this is simple.... if you work in an industry where the best people doing it are only a small handful you're GOING to run into these people again. One day you might get hired at a new company and find out that person you didn't like is now your manager or a senior engineer on the project you're working on. If you did things previously that caused strife in the work place you can bet your ass that the office politics will not play well for you under someone like that. I've seen it happen a ton of times and I work with people at my current job that I've worked at two other jobs in the past with.

A good example of how networking pays off: I have a buddy that I worked with 6 years ago that I've kept in touch with. We are currently working on a project together that leverages new technology in a market that has an absolute shit ton of money to spend that has been stuck in the stone ages technology wise. If I had treated him like just another co worker that didn't matter after I left the company we worked at together we wouldn't be exploring an opportunity like this together today.

These salaries are likely private sector. You may only be contracted for a short term project or possibly long term position, but if you don't produce results you'll be released. If you use your cert and go GS for govt you may make less but will have extreme job security and full benefits. This certification gains you a GS-12 position most times. Check out the wage breakdown for whatever they make this year.

Screenshot_20170901-140607.thumb.png.dcc8635c94fb4a976602d69a68c3a853.png

• Like 1

Fuck it, this new image hosting is so easy why not.

OP, other than a med or law degree this may be the best use of your GI Bill. You likely already have yellow belt certification from your military time. I would like to reiterate: they cannot find enough people with this cert to fill positions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot_20170901-142607.thumb.png.e2a9e9fc0aca233f0c5e6e87b8da37f5.png

• Like 1

General schedule, 12.

Scale only goes to 15. Dudes at the pentagon are 15s n shiet.

I can't see any sigs on mobile!? There are still sigs? Thought they were gone.

Are there tic tacs and post count on desktop too?