breakfast menu

let's take turns. i'll start. whoever likes and defends [bAD FOOD THAT IS NEARLY INDEFENSIBLE] may then pick one of their own.

water chestnuts. they are a flavorless and limp ingredient that burden or ruin any dish. they taste like a packing material that someone hastily converted to a food. they are the color and nutritional content (starch, carbs) of all lives matter supporters. there is nothing you can do to make them delicious or enjoyable in any way. i do not pick through food that's served to me, ever. i will do this for one exception: water chestnuts.

if you like them, defend them, pick something new

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I Like them. they add a very Asian feel to Singaporean dishes like Popiah and some pork free bulk to Sang Choy Bow

Smoked salmon - lox or whatever you Americans call it.

Truly has all flavour of wall insulation pickled in salt. spongy texture. waste of good salmon.

makes me quesy thinking about putting it in my mouth.

Lox and Smoked Salmon aren't interchangeable terms. Lox is brined salmon where as Smoked Salmon is obviously smoked, typically cold smoked.

If the lox you're eating is spongy you've gotten a truly shit batch, it should have bite similar to a firm tomato without skin. I've never eaten wall insulation, but if it tastes anything like some good salmon I might be tempted to give it a shot...

Baby Corn (specifically the canned variety found in asian restaurants). That shit smells like baby spit up.

• Like 2

Won't defend the canned shit, but I will eat it. The fresh stuff in an Asian salad or heaps of asian dishes for that matter is special - the fuck you on about?!

Nice crunchy texture, sweetish taste, makes a dish taste fresh and is full of stuff that's good for you..., I'm going to assume.

Celery, on the other hand is what I like to call "get that fucking shit out of my food plant". It's one of those things that I hated as a child and have never grown into. And that's simply because it is shit, no matter what any one says because you can't defend the indefensible.

/thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

White mushrooms are good when caramelized slightly before adding to a dish rather than thrown in.  Varieties that are much harder to find fresh (Oyster mushrooms) have much more flavor, along with lobster, hen-of-the-woods, chanterelles, etc, which can all make a great combination with a steak or meat dish as they have stronger flavors.  Oysters can be found and identified properly in almost any wooded area if you read up on them. 

I'm going to carry on with sweet potato, since I like almost everything else.  The only dishes I've had that it tasted ok in were also so rich or sickly sweet that I couldn't eat very much of them.  Still waiting on an edible one to show up.

You guys are just some picky little girls.

Peas? Mushrooms? Sweet Potatoes? are you eating dented cans from the discount grocery of this shit? Any of these things are delicious when fresh.

Grow up and stop getting all your nutrients from mac and cheese and pbj's... ?

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

I have yet to find something I like from those two ingredients. Not sure why though everyone seems to enjoy the fuck outta them.

I’ve tried sweet potatoes in every shape or form. I’ve ordered it at restaurants, grandmas pies (other people grandmas) but it still doesn’t do it for me 

As far as mushrooms go I just don’t like the earthy flavor and textures. 

Ive ate my fair share of weird foods. I use to shoot for a chef who would hook it up pretty often.

lol. 

Every once in a while from korean recipes which involve fermenting raw shellfish...  getting some exotic oyster-bourne disease brought on by bad fermenting conditions is up there on the cooking mistakes I'd rather not make list.  I've eaten small game I hunted and cleaned an hour before, which takes some effort after you've smelled the inside of a rabbit.  Somehow though, every time a sweet potato is introduced, it ends up being some fucking mess like this:

https://addapinch.com/sweet-potato-casserole-pecan-topping/

They're called sweet potato for a reason motherfucker.  They're already sweet.   Now you've added enough sugar to make a fucking cake.   Get that shit away from my turkey. 

Edited by GnomeToys

What about sweet potatoes in a thai curry? fuck they are good that way.

I've got a couple thai cookbooks that have some fermented recipes that I absolutely will not fuck with, I would eat them if offered in Thailand, but I'm not gonna touch pork sausage fermented in banana leaves in the Appalachian foothills... Nope. 

• Like 1

^Ya, i tried it when I was young and didn’t like it. I had already convinced myself I wouldn’t like it before trying it. Same with jackfruit. Would try again since my tastes have changed over the years.

As for fermented foods, I enjoyed natto. It surprised me after being told that I would hate it.

I like to slice and steam sweet potatoes. Cuts down on cooking time and I put them in anything from salad to ceviche. It’s a vegetable I feel great/energized after eating.

Edited by LUGR

Natto is fucking rough. I've only tried a couple times, and I basically felt like I was the girl in cum omelette trying to choke it down. And no homo, obviously.

Never had the opportunity to try durian, would if given the chance. Jackfruit is whatever, don't see the hype 

• LOL! 2

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

What about sweet potatoes in a thai curry? fuck they are good that way.

I've got a couple thai cookbooks that have some fermented recipes that I absolutely will not fuck with, I would eat them if offered in Thailand, but I'm not gonna touch pork sausage fermented in banana leaves in the Appalachian foothills... Nope. 

I'm going to try it in thai curry, sounds like it would go good. 

On the fermented stuff, the korean ones (kimchi, pickled radish, etc) tend to have enough salt in them that there's near-zero chance of them going bad, and if they do you'll get mold and be able to tell quickly.  Toss everything in a tupperware, leave on the counter for 2-3 days, and into the fridge pretty much until you finish eating it...   So far no mold has shown up and no issues with the raw seafood in about 6 batches over the years.  Fermented dill pickles need an airlock on containers and such, haven't messed with them yet.

Fermented meat...   well.  I mean it makes sense if you have a deer and need to preserve some or whatever...  Add on the need for a dedicated meat-hanging area and bacterial cultures...   Lots of effort when salting and drying it works for preservation too. 

3 hours ago, +plus+ said:

i never seen it in a curry

idk about fermented shit for the most part

yall tried durian?

I would, it's never been for sale around here and I didn't grab any last time I saw it. 

2 hours ago, LUGR said:

^Ya, i tried it when I was young and didn’t like it. I had already convinced myself I wouldn’t like it before trying it. Same with jackfruit. Would try again since my tastes have changed over the years.

As for fermented foods, I enjoyed natto. It surprised me after being told that I would hate it.

I like to slice and steam sweet potatoes. Cuts down on cooking time and I put them in anything from salad to ceviche. It’s a vegetable I feel great/energized after eating.

Had natto once, little bit on something else at a restaurant.   It wasn't bad I guess.  Kind of a less nasty version of the soy sauce fermentation. 

Anyone ever tried 1000 year egg or Balut?  I think Balut might be over the line for me, but I'd try the 1000 year eggs. 

Also, DEFEND THIS IF YOU DARE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

The dish is prepared by first soaking the eggs in the urine of young boys. The urine is sourced locally by each vendor.

Well, as long as the urine is sourced locally from all-natural organic young boy urine instead of that hormone-filled factory farm young boy-urine...   ??

One of my buddies geowing up was from the Philippines and he has me over for dinner. Food smelled awesome but he was like you gotta try this. So he hands over an egg and I take a big bite. I feel the texture of feathes and bones and right away spit it up. He and his older brother start laughing their asses off immediately because obviously it grossed me out when I was a kid. I tried it again last year, ehhhhh not so bad.

vr3xc8nr6h0llpor98qe.jpg

I’ve gotten two  ex-girlfriends pregnant from blowing heavy loads in them  they craved foods they never liked before for instance tomatoes. Described them to be  One of the most disgusting fruits.

These girls were about 2 to 3 months pregnant tops at the time and  they would wake me up with tomato cravings I’m so happy they didn’t have my babies  anybody who does not like tomatoes is weird.