help a brother out!

Guest imported_sofarok

Guest imported_sofarok

I'm currently doing a dissertation for my degree on graffiti and the way that it has been influenced/appropriated by mainstream culture (design, advertising, art).

I would be grateful if you take a few minutes to complete this questionnaire, forgive me if some of the question are rather trite and you have heard them before.

rough geographic location:

What level of education have you received:

Are you/ have you been a graffiti writer:

has graffiti influenced any creative work you have undertaken, if so how:

is there a difference between a ‘creative1 with a graffiti background using graffiti in commercial work and a non writer doing the same, if so explain:

what are your views on graffiti1s aesthetics and techniques being used in main stream media, art, fashion etc:

how do you feel about ‘pseudo graffiti1 finding its way into the media etc:

How would you differentiate between ‘good1 graffiti and ‘bad1 graffiti:

can you cite any examples of bad or good appropriation of graffiti:

what does graffiti mean to you:

Anything you like to add:

Thank you for time.

sofarok@yahoo.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You should put you e-mail up for the responses!

2.northeast

3.employed

4.college

5.yes

6.by creative you mean art right, and your graffiti or others? i don't think so, assuming i did a whole lot of it.

7.no, commercial art is commercial art, only a select few would ever get recognition anyhow and it would be industry people or their peeps who would know. no one signs commercial art if you haven't noticed.

8.mixed

9.could care less, as long as it is cookie cutter wild style shit who's ever going to notice that it's graffiti? put some fuck you's in there. . .

10.that's a tough question, i don't really believe in bad graffiti. i got beef with writers who break the rules, and who do it for the wrong reason. it's not my place to judge what's good. i LIKE some stuff better than others. i take lots of flicks of other peoples work, and there are times when i am like, oh, whoops, i didn't really mean to take that, and there are times when i look back and say why, but i wouldn't have pushed that button if i didn't see something there i would like to see again (location, some hallucination). i guess i hope that is what i truly remember about it deep down.

11.i really liked the levi strauss store sale sign they had in downtown frisco they did the inner outline as dashes like bluejeans. what i like is seeing old school cats, and newjacks with an easily recognizable style exploiting themselves, or getting exploited. however, not in a commercial way for the latter i mean music videos, cd covers, movies, tv, etc. i mean it can only be one of three things there right: they're getting up like mad on location, the artist or production people recognize, or they've purposefully exploited the system. and that's all good.

12.writing on other entity's shit

13.fuck, um up here in new york we have this thing called reality check, it's pretty cool, yes2 is on board with it (pardon the pun). it's premise is that kids are getting hit with tobacco adds so it's time to take something back. seeing the graffiti as counter advertising and generally subversive they figured, what better way than to give kids some spraypaint and do it right. i went to the ithaca one, change from ithaca, and pen from brooklyn were there helping kids out. it was truly beautiful, i just wish they had some latex paint there, seeing twelve year old girls with paint stained fingers just tends to scar the mind. that said, i really think more older cats in new york state should get on board with this it's really giving something back. they are doing it in every county so call amy up. man, i am so psyched about my state's appropriation of tobacco funds right now even if phillip morris is saying we blew all their money.

rough geographic location: USA, NJ suckah

What level of education have you received: High School (freshmen)

Are you/ have you been a graffiti writer: yeah i am a writer

has graffiti influenced any creative work you have undertaken, if so how: well, i look at things a little diffrently now

is there a difference between a ‘creative1 with a graffiti background using graffiti in commercial work and a non writer doing the same, if so explain: yeah there is.. commercial people get paid, they usually some fat ass loser punk who stays at home and use's oil paints or somthing like that...

what are your views on graffiti1s aesthetics and techniques being used in main stream media, art, fashion etc: I think graffiti Influenced a lot of stuff.. just look on somthing like a cerial box or somthing.. the letters look more like whats on the street more and more every day

how do you feel about ‘pseudo graffiti1 finding its way into the media etc: Well media can only lead to bad things.. i would rather graffiti stay underground

How would you differentiate between ‘good1 graffiti and ‘bad1 graffiti: Well graffiti can be great.. when you complete a mission, have a great night, paint what you wanted, and dont have to run or anything..

graffiti is bad when you get arrested, spotted, paint fucks up, you have a bad night, dont complete what you want to, get chased by a dog, some asshole writes 'joe was here' on someones piece and just toys trying to go all wild.. makes everyone look bad

can you cite any examples of bad or good appropriation of graffiti: well either way people think graffiti is bad.. so there really isnt

what does graffiti mean to you: it was what influences me to wake up in the moring, to draw everyday, to take flicks of the hottest writers out there to get up as much as i can, to live freeeeeeeeeeee

Anything you like to add: not really, just paint for yourself

Archived