Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Where Are They Now, prelude to a 12oz Reunion Thread

misteraven

You lost me at "not want to live like a hermit."

I can't wait til I'm financially able to do just that comfortably. I think I'm about 5 years out. Looking at Tennessee or surrounding. Prefer a longer growing season and a less harsh winter, and my dollars will go pretty fucking far there compared to Colorado.

Ha!

Definitely heard good things about TN. So looks like things are going to drag out. The response to our offer wasn't good. That said, the seller is in really bad health and we've been told to be patient. Between that winter coming, it's possible they'll be more flexible in a few weeks. Guess shit can never be easy...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That dude is a savage... He got mauled by the same grizzly twice and still walked 3 miles to the car and drove himself to the hospital. He posted it in Facebook before getting into his car.

Here's his Facebook post:

sup dudes, old man beards checking in

saw that old screen shot on IG and figured I should probably swing through.. good to see some familiar handles.

plus, I haven't really painted in any meaningful way for years, but I've got a couple days to kill on a trip coming up and figured I might as well knock the dust off a couple cans... and where else was I supposed to turn to find a spot/guide?

raven.. bruh.. montana? I can't imagine leaving LA right now and heading face first into that winter.

• Like 2

You lost me at "not want to live like a hermit."

I can't wait til I'm financially able to do just that comfortably. I think I'm about 5 years out. Looking at Tennessee or surrounding. Prefer a longer growing season and a less harsh winter, and my dollars will go pretty fucking far there compared to Colorado.

Let me know when you do, I'll chuck a bike on a plane and come over for some trail riding.

we're also looking at a five or so year plan

but we plan to leave the US for awhile.

atm i am pretty torn about whether to buy some land out west

Wow, big move to leave the USA. I actually did a year in Berlin myself. Had an amazing time and appreciate the fact that we did it, but wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Oddly, it was the little things... TV, shopping for groceries, etc. The stuff I loved doing when visiting cause it was so different ended up being the thing that became frustrating when you really had to do it as a chore. Definitely worth trying though, IMHO.

Wow, big move to leave the USA. I actually did a year in Berlin myself. Had an amazing time and appreciate the fact that we did it, but wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Oddly, it was the little things... TV, shopping for groceries, etc. The stuff I loved doing when visiting cause it was so different ended up being the thing that became frustrating when you really had to do it as a chore. Definitely worth trying though, IMHO.

word. i know exactly what you mean.

having travelled so extensively, i'm hoping we are prepared well for the shift in culture.

mainly though, i just wanna experience life in another place.

it's still gonna be awhile bc it may coincide with my 'retirement' from molecular biology, and i wanna stack a lotta cash before then

i would think i'd miss tv big time. overseas, tv can be so so much different.

but with globalization and netflix, it isn't too hard to get a fix nowadays.

but with globalization and netflix, it isn't too hard to get a fix nowadays.

Not sure if things have changed, but my experience is that most major sites have geotracking that disables access outside the USA. I was unable to use any of those streaming video services at all. The international versions, of those services, if they existed, often had local content instead so all the TV shows were different and usually not in English. On most sites, instead you get a splash page saying that due to licensing, the content is only available in the USA. Likewise, most major sites, including Google, Amazon and CNN would default to the foreign version of it. Made it a real pain in the ass to figure out how to access the USA versions (if they allowed it at all) since you need to know the language.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just sharing my experience with this. The only way we could access TV and movies all year long was if we got lucky and found one of those bootleg streaming sites. Even then, it was really difficult so mostly we did without.

Lived 5 years in China, access to material can be a real thing when you don't have it. My advice is that you understand and invest in VPNs (and depending on the country you go to, keep well up to date on the evolution of that technology because shit is a fast moving feast).

Learn the language. IT's hard and takes a lot of work. But, it's one of the greatest skills you will acquire.