The Where Are They Now, prelude to a 12oz Reunion Thread

misteraven

Wow, big move to leave the USA. I actually did a year in Berlin myself. Had an amazing time and appreciate the fact that we did it, but wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be. Oddly, it was the little things... TV, shopping for groceries, etc. The stuff I loved doing when visiting cause it was so different ended up being the thing that became frustrating when you really had to do it as a chore. Definitely worth trying though, IMHO.

word. i know exactly what you mean.

having travelled so extensively, i'm hoping we are prepared well for the shift in culture.

mainly though, i just wanna experience life in another place.

it's still gonna be awhile bc it may coincide with my 'retirement' from molecular biology, and i wanna stack a lotta cash before then

i would think i'd miss tv big time. overseas, tv can be so so much different.

but with globalization and netflix, it isn't too hard to get a fix nowadays.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
but with globalization and netflix, it isn't too hard to get a fix nowadays.

Not sure if things have changed, but my experience is that most major sites have geotracking that disables access outside the USA. I was unable to use any of those streaming video services at all. The international versions, of those services, if they existed, often had local content instead so all the TV shows were different and usually not in English. On most sites, instead you get a splash page saying that due to licensing, the content is only available in the USA. Likewise, most major sites, including Google, Amazon and CNN would default to the foreign version of it. Made it a real pain in the ass to figure out how to access the USA versions (if they allowed it at all) since you need to know the language.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just sharing my experience with this. The only way we could access TV and movies all year long was if we got lucky and found one of those bootleg streaming sites. Even then, it was really difficult so mostly we did without.

Lived 5 years in China, access to material can be a real thing when you don't have it. My advice is that you understand and invest in VPNs (and depending on the country you go to, keep well up to date on the evolution of that technology because shit is a fast moving feast).

Learn the language. IT's hard and takes a lot of work. But, it's one of the greatest skills you will acquire.

Not sure if things have changed, but my experience is that most major sites have geotracking that disables access outside the USA. I was unable to use any of those streaming video services at all. The international versions, of those services, if they existed, often had local content instead so all the TV shows were different and usually not in English. On most sites, instead you get a splash page saying that due to licensing, the content is only available in the USA. Likewise, most major sites, including Google, Amazon and CNN would default to the foreign version of it. Made it a real pain in the ass to figure out how to access the USA versions (if they allowed it at all) since you need to know the language.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just sharing my experience with this. The only way we could access TV and movies all year long was if we got lucky and found one of those bootleg streaming sites. Even then, it was really difficult so mostly we did without.

I use a service called privateinternetaccess. It's a VPN service and most **good home routers can configure a connection to use only the VPN. It will log in for you using your credentials and make your endpoint somewhere in the USA. This will allow any set top boxes (PS4, XBox1, Roku, etc) to think they're using a USA connection.

I use a Juniper Netscreen right behind my cable modem so all of my home access goes through that, rather than bleeding every bit of info to my cable modem. I don't have anything to hide but I'm also not a fan of reading fine print or data scraping. It does happen and it's very prevalent in today's age. I'm not suggesting be a tin foil hat person or live in paranoia, it's more about protecting yourself and your data. Privateinternetaccess is pretty cheap, I pay by the year. I also use it on any of my wireless devices and my laptop when I visit other places. I never ever ever ever ever use a free access point without connecting to my VPN first. Also, I use it in hotels.

I hope this helps some of you that have had similar troubles or live in other countries and want to watch American shows/TV. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Just a heads up that if you obfuscate your IP, generally those sites will still block your access. You literally need to connect from a USA domestic IP or they won't serve up the content. I tried that and even though I could reroute requests so that I was connected via a USA IP, it wound up being worthless for bandwidth intensive shit like streaming video. Just didn't work. Like I said, this was years ago, but at that time, it was just those bootleg streaming sites or bit torrent.

Super long story, but I'll try my best to pass along the Cliff Notes version...

As 12oz started coming into its own 2003ish, we started getting offers from companies. Since the cost of running this site (just in software and services) was about equal to a hefty rent payment and the complexity was quickly outpacing my ability to keep up, we had to figure out some sort of business plan. Meanwhile we had brands like Nike sending free product and looking for ways to work together. Eventually, we got caught up with them and the more we did, the more offers we got. Meanwhile 12oz was growing quick and requiring exponentially more resources and attention. I wound up looping in a few people I thought could help, mostly on the tech side, but also with content. Because I was busy trying to service our clients now that we'd evolved into an agency, I took my eye off the brand side and website. During that time, I got burned repeatedly... Website was moved to a more robust (and expensive) server setup that was never configured properly and after spending a small fortune (over six figures) to build a bridge between the forum and rest of site, instead I got left with a broken authentication system and unstable user session. After a while those issues only compounded and required more and more time, energy and especially money to fix. While that's happening, the agency is growing steady and also taking larger investment and more attention to manage. Ultimately, something had to give and by the time I realized just how fucked up 12oz had become, I didn't even know where to begin fixing it since by this point I'd had left it in the hands of other people for years.

Ultimately, I take responsibility. I should have stayed more involved, but hope you guys can understand that since 12oz never produced enough revenue to even cover its own bills and the agency took over and actually provided a respectable living (not to mention a near endless stream of all the hardest to get sneakers and gear), how it became increasingly difficult to qualify the time and energy. In my mind I thought just continuing to keep paying the server and software bills and being able to load a page was better than pulling the plug, which almost happened many times... Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Fairly recently, I reached a point where I sort of woke up to the fact that it's been a great opportunity consulting for brands and working on some of the coolest projects out there, that it had come at the expense of my own brand. so about a year and a half ago I decided to plan / prepare for a transition back. Took a few false starts to fully dial in my strategy and approach and then essentially rebuild the website from scratch. Preserve what data I could and essentially create a new foundation to build 12ozProphet from. I'm at the tail end of that now. I'm not going to bullshit anyone and say I'm suddenly able to focus on this full time, but I am serious about it and have been making a lot of sacrifices, as well as investments to build this back up.

Considering how big the scene is (really all related scenes as well) and just the dismal state of what I see being put out there, I figured there's an opportunity. Since I also have a clear vision for 12oz, which hasn't been the case for almost 10 years, that it was time to get to it. So here we are... At the beginning of a new chapter in the 12ozProphet story.

Damn... that's real. Good lookin out, Raven!

• Like 2

hey there!

just back from patagonia, where i had no trouble watching netflix in both chile and argentina

didn't you hear? netflix is now available in tons of countries.

January 6, 2016 -- Netflix launched its service globally, simultaneously bringing its Internet TV network to more than 130 new countries around the world.

also, yeah, we have the VPN too. i use privateinternetaccess.

didn't work in Chnia but otherwise, it's been fine.

and demonoid and piratebay are still up.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-is-now-available-around-the-world

patagonia, btw, was fucking incredible.

• Like 2

hey there!

just back from patagonia, where i had no trouble watching netflix in both chile and argentina

didn't you hear? netflix is now available in tons of countries.

January 6, 2016 -- Netflix launched its service globally, simultaneously bringing its Internet TV network to more than 130 new countries around the world.

also, yeah, we have the VPN too. i use privateinternetaccess.

didn't work in Chnia but otherwise, it's been fine.

and demonoid and piratebay are still up.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-is-now-available-around-the-world

patagonia, btw, was fucking incredible.

True... I like to buy all my outdoor gear from there :-p

• Like 2

[ATTACH=full]213377[/ATTACH]

meh. here's one flick. not the most spectacular. but there ya go.

image hosting is a pain.

Wow, freakin amazing! You climb into that powder at all? What we're you doing out there?

Can you explain the image hosting comment? Should be as simple as drag and drop uploads for image attachments. 3rd party image hosting is longer needed on the forum. In fact was planning to not even allow it in the future as it's a shame to see so many awesome old threads full of broken image links from photos hosted in random places that are no longer still around.

• Like 2

thanks hua.

and. oh ok. thanks raven

i clicked on the image icon in the composition box and it asked for the image url.

i didn't even try drag and drop.

good to know. i can add more photos when i'm home.

so we didn't go to patagonia for snowboarding or anything like that

just hiking, which was still incredible

also did a long road trip.

i'd love to go back one day.

mainly we went because i knew how awesome it would be. i've dreamed of going for ages

tried to plan a trip about 4 years ago with an old oontz member, ubejinxed, actually.

didn't work out though. so i'd seen a fucking unbeatable sale last year and grabbed tickets. so worth it.

take a long time to fly down there.

and. oh ok. thanks raven

i clicked on the image icon in the composition box and it asked for the image url.

i didn't even try drag and drop.

good to know. i can add more photos when i'm home.

Yes, that allows you to put in an image URL. If you click the "Attach" button or even drag and drop into the comment field, you can just straight upload. Like I said, I'll probably do away with the third party images, but haven't gotten to it yet since I need to ensure I have the storage capacity.

Burp..

I've been in and out of here the whole time, thought i'd say hello..

Would tend to agree with Raven in the fact that sentiment is tipping back to communities like this.

I've been working in digital since 06 up here in the north, a lot of years at equivalents of Comcast/Conde Nast - Dev/UI/UX/IA/Strategy

"Social" in general is played out, run it's course, and the in it for a minute zombies are starting to wake up, look for something deeper, more meaningful.

Hopefully a good user experience, performance, here, will help draw some people back.

Looking forward to it.

K.

• Like 3