The Hip Hop Thread

Brink

22 hours ago, CALIgula said:

You do have a point... I'll usually find newer work that older artists are putting out. 

For example, masta ace whos been around since the early 90s (even late 80s i think) put out a new album a couple of years ago. 

So a lot of it has that 90s boom bap plus lyricism that i crave when bumpin Hip Hop

I can appreciate that. I'm gonna come off like a prick for saying this but I always felt rap is about youthful energy and irreverence. Once the guys hit a certain age they tend to get preachy in the lyrics or just don't have it anymore. Ever been to a Wu Tang show post 2005? Eeesh.

Its all smoke and mirrors I get that but the suspension of disbelief is harder to keep up when the guy rapping about trapping and drive-bys is 40+.

E: In the case of MA he's always been on that tip so he transitions better than the more aggressive ones, he's always been a bit preachy to begin with. I did love this one back when

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Id agree with you to a point.. age does matter lol... and yeah, nobody wants to hear grandpa rap about thug shit... but toe to toe, bar for bar, I'd put my money on almost any old school emcee over these younger cats lol

I would love to hear a Nas versus lil yachty battle ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CALIgula said:

Id agree with you to a point.. age does matter lol... and yeah, nobody wants to hear grandpa rap about thug shit... but toe to toe, bar for bar, I'd put my money on almost any old school emcee over these younger cats lol

In their primes obv Nas would have clobbered him. Lil boat can freestyle though.. nowadays Id give it to Yachty lol Nas' last album felt tired af

On 8/3/2019 at 5:49 PM, CALIgula said:

That's not rap that's mumble garbage .  younger rappers  "i" think would be token Joyner  logic Kendrick.  J Cole.   All the lil pump  lil skert lil drip lil dirk rondo numba 9 lil resse  . Shits fucking retarded hoopblah 

Not that they could go bar for bar with nas but Joyner would try !!

This is like the only j cole i have listen to tho I kinda slept on him my self .  

Edited by ElbowMack187

On 8/12/2019 at 3:14 PM, Torta Boy said:

What’s everyone think of the old evidence/ Eminem beef that got brought up on Kweli’s podcast show? I never knew that ever existed, but with the amount of skill and backup ev had, no wonder that beef never went anywhere. 

Alchemist can run circles around Eminem's producers but lyrically, as much as I hate Eminem's music..he'd bury Evidence. Especially when he was in his prime

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 4:16 PM, Kults said:

Alchemist can run circles around Eminem's producers but lyrically, as much as I hate Eminem's music..he'd bury Evidence. Especially when he was in his prime

Old Em was an absolute beast, especially with battle rapping. Id have no doubt he would bury MOST rappers that ever lived

• 2 weeks later...