tics and other parasites picked up...

mr.gravytrain

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
3 hours ago, morton said:

I only recently moved to a part of the country where tics are common and I am a little skeezed out by them.

A friend recommended this company https://www.insectshield.com/Default.aspx 

I am thinking about buying a pair of gaiters and having them treated.

I will again swear by permethrin.  You can order it or buy in store and apply it yourself.

I dont want to start a new thread for this. Can anyone identify this bug. It was strong. I was moving it with my pencil today to get a better look at it and it was grabbing it with its fists and pushing it out of the way. 

20200325_153835.jpg

20200325_153824.jpg

Edited by mr.yuck
In the second picture you can see it chuckin the duece as it walks away.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, One Man Banned said:

@Dirty_habiTthat sounds like the deer tick, can carry Lyme Disease.  Had one of those on me when I got home too but had not bit me yet.  Overlooked the first time, caught it on a double check.  I should use some of this chill time to re-treat my shit for spring.

Placing a burnt match head that is blown out and still hot on tick's body will cause a tick to release its bite. I'm sure you already know this but for the benefit of others ( @morton), don't try to pull a tick off because the head will stay embedded under your skin and the body will tear away.  This will cause an infection as your body tries to get rid of the foreign body.

6 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Placing a burnt match head that is blown out and still hot on tick's body will cause a tick to release its bite. I'm sure you already know this but for the benefit of others ( @morton), don't try to pull a tick off because the head will stay embedded under your skin and the body will tear away.  This will cause an infection as your body tries to get rid of the foreign body.

Never had luck with the match head or a hot lighter, just burned/killed the tick which left it stuck.  If a tick is on me or the dog I roll the tick around in a circular motion, sometimes reversing direction, until it lets go.  And if a tick has bitten me I always treat the area with something, at least soap and water, after.

• Like 1

Years ago we went "urban exploring" next to D.C. in an abandoned asylum from the 50's/60's, and women's prison abandoned in the 90's. They both were on this overgrown property. Afterwords, we decided to go swimming and I stopped by a department store to buy trunks. Went into the fitting room and literally picked over a dozen ticks off myself. Tried crushing them all while stripped naked in the dressing room, but some got away, lol. Anyway I told my homies, and they both went in to check themselves out. One of them came back out mad quick, I was like you sure you got em all off you and he was like "yea, it's not a big deal if I have a tick it has to be on you for a while to fuck you up" About a year later he reluctantly admitted he was getting treatment for lyme disease. That shit is nasty, had a little nephew get symptoms of bells palsy from lyme disease and get rushed to the hospital. I don't fuck with ticks and will never go hiking back east again unless it's near freezing out.

• Truth 1

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

"yea, it's not a big deal if I have a tick it has to be on you for a while to fuck you up" About a year later he reluctantly admitted he was getting treatment for lyme disease. That shit is nasty, had a little nephew get symptoms of bells palsy from lyme disease and get rushed to the hospital. I don't fuck with ticks and will never go hiking back east again unless it's near freezing out.

I've heard it said, even by doctors, that it does have to be a certain amount of time, like 12 or 24 hours.  But they carry other shit too and at the least you can get a rash, a mosquito type itch, or infection.... bacteria....  

You might want to look up the history of ticks where you moved to, no bueno.  Also mice & hantavirus 😬

• Truth 1

Right now is the worst because there are nymphs, and not the kind that you want.  They're so small they are easy to overlook.  Yesterday just signed off from this thread, went to lay down and found this dead tick under the covers.  Guessing it was from the dog, and looking at his flea/tick med I saw my good friend permethrin in the ingredient list.  

IMG_3115.thumb.JPG.430db8237d09c890d8a8c53d98a2f656.JPG

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, One Man Banned said:

Opossum, pheasants, and turkey are great eaters of tics

We have possum running our neighborhood. What can I do to attract them to my backyard. I feel like I should do something to eradicate field mice, too. I cleared away a lot of brush so they don't have anywhere to hide.

As true as that might be re: Lyme transmission, tics can carry other nasty shit and at the least can cause irritation like a large mosquito bite.  I try to wash my hands after handling them.  If I have to remove one from my skin, even if it's just started biting, I'll at least wash the area if not use some disinfectant.

I don't know much about attracting opossum.  We have one or two that wander through maybe once a month.

If you're talking mice in a yard then yeah, clearing brush, keeping the lawn trimmed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...