Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr.gravytrain

tics and other parasites picked up...

Recommended Posts

i went spot searching yesterday and had to do a bit of bushwhacking, upon my return home i went to shower and found a tic on my arm and balls... now everytime i feel an itch or tickle i get paranoid haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mr.gravytrain you should probably get tested for lyme disease. it's a pretty serious ailment and the earlier detected the easier it is to treat.

 

i've been hanging out in the woods recently, been super paranoid about the ticks for me and my dog. haven't noticed any bites yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up in tick country. I've had them on my taint a few times, once about 1/4 inch off my asshole. All over elsewhere. No Lyme's for me.

 

When you pull them off--just cover them in a heavy glob of vaseline or aquaphor--the old match head/fire method can make them throw up their innards into you--which is where the Lyme's would come from. Pulling them off w/ tweezers/pliers is equally bad in that regard.

 

1773512-the_tick_wallpaper_by_emucoupons.thumb.jpg.38dd2bb83977cdb93e1e17c577f9fbb7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I thought I had a tick on my balls, then I realized it was just my dick.

 

Anyhow, I've been in some tick infested areas on missions. For Lyme disease it's really the deer ticks you have to watch out for, their body is about the size of a pin. Science supposedly says that they have to be attached to you for around 24hrs (look that up to check that) for you to get Lyme. I think that you get a red ring, but that may just be from a tick bite. Other ticks can still carry nasty shit though, so it's in your interest to break out the tick spray before venturing out. This year I'm trying out this shit (permethrin):

SP657.jpg.0a71d5c6b5f6828fe6bafc9d49c14df1.jpg

Supposedly safe for human use once dry. You spray your clothes and let dry, then it's good for several washes. Look it up. Did my shoes, pants, backpack for now.

 

As for removing ticks, I've had to remove a few from the dog, and from myself once or twice. Best method I've found is to simply roll it around in circles, maybe reverse directions here or there. Takes a minute or so, but the tick will back itself out so you don't have to worry about burning yourself or leaving part of it behind in your skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fellow outdoorsman here. have yet to pick up the first tick of 2015 (got the first poison ivy rash last week though.. :poutingcat:). i got 7 last year, probably pick up about 10/year on average.

 

you don't need to get tested for every tick you pick up. HOWEVER, if you get a sustained redness or swelling, call a doctor - fast. a little redness is normal with an insect bite, lyme disease and tick bites are different.

 

i was always taught that lyme disease takes 48 hours to transmit. it might just be 24, but either way, it's some time. the best thing you can do is wear long socks, pants, and long-sleeved shirts outside, even when it's hot. take a shower and check yourself THOROUGHLY after every outdoor trip, as soon as you can. wash your clothes in hot water, too, in case any ticks latched on.

 

have had 2 ticks on my dick, they never go for my balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they both came off easily the one on my arm wasnt latched on at all he just fell off when i messed with him... the one downstairs was smaller and harder to get off... but i was panicking and managed to get him off. fuckin A man i hate ticks. no redness as of yet tho so im feeling optimistic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty sure one of them took advantage of the time i had to jump into the bushes to get off the rails when the amtrak rolled through. there were also a bunch of little spiders that were falling out of those bushes into my jacket and stuff... the things we do for virgin concrete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a dead tick stuck in my head at my friends sleep over when i was in like middle school so we went to the ER. I have a couple dogs and i always have to tick checks on them. I think i got one stuck in my back last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got my first one today.

 

thinking it was on me for about 36 hours,and there's swelling at the site, and pulling it out was a shitshow because of where it was on my body, so i'm anxious.

 

pray5me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sucks. It will bruise up and it will look gnarly for awhile. People say if it gets a red ring around it that is supposed to indicate lyme disease but that is not true. If it keeps getting worse over a couple or a few days and starts impacting your life, then go see a doctor (they will probably give you some antibiotics or something). You should be fine though.

 

Welcome to the club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STOP PULLING THEM OFF.

 

Seriously. The odds are low that you'll get something, but the odds are certainly increased if you pull them out violently or use fire.

Cover them in vaseline or similar and they will release and crawl out instead of vomiting their lyme diseased guts inside of you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Fist said, the chances of you getting Lyme's Disease are pretty low. One possible indicator is the bullseye rash that appears after the bite. It is usually a large red ring around the bite with at least one line trailing off, following a blood vessel. If you don't have this, I wouldn't even be worried about it.

I also have to agree that just yanking them off is a bad idea. That increases the chance of you just pulling the body of, leaving the head still attached, and furthering your chance of infection. Up here we usually twist them off in a counter-clockwise motion.

 

If you check yourself as soon as possible, you can usually catch them before they latch on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Up here we usually twist them off in a counter-clockwise motion.

 

1st time I've heard of someone using a similar method to what I said. Good to know.

 

Never heard of Fist's method but sounds like it could work. How long for the tick to back out if you put Vaseline on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×