ASMR helped with my insomnia

KILZ FILLZ

heard about this shit on the morning news a few months ago while on break at work

throwing one of these vids on before bed has pretty much cured my insomnia.

not being tired all day at work kicks ass! :)

---

(ASMR) is a neologism for a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, or cognitive stimuli.

A commonly reported stimulus for ASMR is the sound of whispering. As evident on YouTube, a variety of videos and audio recordings involve the creator whispering or communicating with a soft-spoken intonation into a sound recording device and generally a camera.[9][10][11][12]

Many role-playing videos and audio recordings also aim to stimulate ASMR. Examples include descriptive sessions, in a style similar to guided imagery, for experiences such as haircuts, massages, visits to a doctor's office, and ear-cleaning. While these make-believe situations are acted out by the creator, viewers and listeners report an ASMR effect that relieves insomnia, anxiety, or panic attacks.[2][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

---

(think of Bob Ross for example)

shit is calming to me but i guess irritating for some people

peace guys :scrambled:

EDIT- new forum is coming along!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Watched about 4 minutes of the first video. Seems like it would work similarly to white noise machines, which are kind of annoying to me. I tend to focus too much on stuff like that, and then I can't let my mind wander and fall asleep. Not knocking the idea, though.

• Like 1

I had Insomnia for years.

Until I went to a sleep clinic. Sleep Debt is what you need to create.

This is how it was cured.

The Dr. gave me a grid piece of paper;

on the left (vertical columns) were the days

on the top (horizontal column) hours slept

So each day shade in the amount of time you slept. I had to do this for 2 weeks.

for example

sleep-nap-patterns-chart-for-baby.gif?width=435

Some days I slept an hour. some days I slept 9 hours then there was a stretch 2 consecutive days NO SLEEP at all THE WORST.

I brought her the paper and she averaged I was getting 6 hours a sleep a night. I couldn't understand 6 hrs? I was exhausted all the time. but i would sleep 3 hours one night no hours the next night and then 11 on a weekend. It was excruciating some days. Any way she said I needed to creat sleep debt to induce natural exhaustion not just disorientation.

She told me I must go to bed and wake up the same time every night no matter what. And she put me on a 5 hour per night schedule. Stay out ti 1am and sleep till 6am

I was cured within 2 weeks.

Before that I had suffered for 6 years. The back of my head started to hurt as the days progressed thats how much re-wiring my brain had to do to re-adjust to being normal again.

after 2 months she let me have 6hrs a night as long as I maintain the same strict schedule of going to bed and waking the same time.

If there is any confusion please ask and I will try to clarify.

Im cured.

This is the only cure, no pills or meditation or any of that crap.

• Like 1

I think that's really good advice^^^

My job doesn't have a specific start or finish time so I can stay up late and get up as late as I want on most days. My habit is that I stay up later and sleep later each day until I get to the point where I go to bed up sun up and sleep until 2pm.

To fix that I forced myself to get out of bed at 7am regardless of how much I've slept. That would force me in to bed earlier and earlier until my sleeping patterns normalised and I'd be asleep by midnight.

I think they call it sleep discipline, or it's an element of discipline anyway.

• Like 1

croc's method is mine, as far as sleep. also being active during the day (i walk over 3 miles/day, for example) helps substantially. i get 6-7 hours on an average night and 8-9 on an awesome incredible one.

things in this vein that help me work and study, however: http://naturesoundsfor.me/

the "snow" effect does it for me (under Nature) 'cause it has that perfect padding noise that comes with a good snowfall. it's hard to describe. check it out maybe you'll be able to describe it better

• Like 1

So I tried the first video that BnH posted. I put it on around 1130am and laid down. For about 20 mins I was too concentrated on what I was hearing but I tried to block it out. Fell asleep eventually and woke up about 45 mins later because of a weird dream. spent the rest of time rolling around in bed trying to fall back asleep.

Last week I just chugged a 40 oz and passed out a few days out of the week. This week I want to get away from that method because of the eventual toll it will take on my health.

I try to keep myself on a sleep schedule but it doesn't work most days.

• Like 1

So I tried the first video that BnH posted. I put it on around 1130am and laid down. For about 20 mins I was too concentrated on what I was hearing but I tried to block it out. Fell asleep eventually and woke up about 45 mins later because of a weird dream. spent the rest of time rolling around in bed trying to fall back asleep.

Last week I just chugged a 40 oz and passed out a few days out of the week. This week I want to get away from that method because of the eventual toll it will take on my health.

I try to keep myself on a sleep schedule but it doesn't work most days.

Sounds like it worked at first

Any more luck?

yeah its white noise. they call them 'sleep songs' and you can adjust the depth of the song with additional sounds.

eg you can have rain, heavier rain, heavy rain with thunder, etc. there are 6 or 8 different things from flowing creeks and crickets, train tracks, waves, etc.

that one has an adaptive setting so that if you have a bunch of noise start in the middle of the night it'll adjust its volume to drown out the new outside noises.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i tried ASMR to drown out the neighbors dog barking when i was trying to take an afternoon nap, didnt work.

i also tried ocean sounds...didnt work.

the only thing that can keep me knocked out all night thats natural is otc melatonin tablets.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So I guess asmr is the biggest section in YouTube now. Anyone fuck w this shit? I still do nightly. Still knocks me out every time even days I took pre work out.

Now that we are Blessed to embed videos on oontz I will prob post some from time to time.