R.I.P. Robin Williams

CALIgula

Actor Robin Williams died this morning in California, according to the Marin County Sheriff’s Office-Coroner Division and his press representative. He was 63.

"Robin Williams passed away this morning," the actor's rep Mara Buxbaum said in a statement tonight. "He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

According a statement from the Marin County Coroner, they received a 911 call at 11:55 a.m., that Williams had been located unconscious and not breathing inside his residence in Tiburon, California. "The male subject, pronounced deceased at 12:02 pm has been identified as Robin McLaurin Williams."

"An investigation into the cause, manner, and circumstances of the death is currently underway by the Investigations and Coroner Divisions of the Sheriff’s Office. Preliminary information developed during the investigation indicates Mr. Williams was last seen alive at his residence, where he resides with his wife, at approximately 10:00 pm on August 10, 2014."

"At this time, the Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made. A forensic examination is currently scheduled for August 12, 2014 with subsequent toxicology testing to be conducted."

The actor won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in "Mrs. Doubtfire" actor and appeared in dozens of films including "Good Morning Vietnam," "Good Will Hunting," "Dead Poets Society," and "Patch Adams."

damn :(

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
It's sad, but I don't have much sympathy for black dog.

I don't know man. I've had dudes close to me with every reason to live - top wife, great kids, enviable career and all that - off themselves though depression. I also know a bunch of peeps dealing with it and still living. We can all get depressed but having your brain, your mind, your own logic fuck with you is a quantum leap away from what anyone who doesn't have it can understand. I don't suffer from it at all but those who do that have enunciated it to me in a way that resonated really helped me to understand the irrationality of it and how it does not stand up to reason.

I also have a minor in psych and am very clear on how the physiology of your brain can very much dictate who you are and what you do. I've had a close mate go from strong (worked on doors with him, could twist your head off whilst giving you a smiling lecture on the values of good manners and propriety) and normal with hot GF, good prospects to dead on the road in front of me because he didn't want to fight the voices in his head any longer. His problem was schizophrenia. Chemical imbalance is an easy term to use and throw away but it is hugely real and the power it has over those who live with it is something those who are free can hardly grasp.

Fucking Nigels and pea-hearts off themselves from depression. Normal dudes with decent lives off themselves from depression. Hard men who lead can off themselves from depression. People on top of the world with everything to live for off themselves from depression. Hard to argue against that kind of power.

• Like 1

I don't know man. I've had dudes close to me with every reason to live - top wife, great kids, enviable career and all that - off themselves though depression. I also know a bunch of peeps dealing with it and still living.

I've been close enough to it to have formed my own opinion based on personal experience. Just my opinion though. This being a leading news story all around the world is perfect for all the truly fucked up shit that's going on to be swept into a ten second comment grab just before sports.

This being a leading news story all around the world is perfect for all the truly fucked up shit that's going on to be swept into a ten second comment grab just before sports.

It's certainly a perfect example of how fucking pointless Fairfax media is these days - top 5 stories are Robin W. Fucking vultures.

However I was satisfied to see the ABC TV news have it down the list as a story. And don't worry, you're going to see Russia/Ukraine shoot up the charts in the very near future as a news story again. Iraq is also still pretty high in terms of coverage and importance.

It all may be tabloidesque vulturism in the news and the moment but never fear, true suffering and brutality will be back, front and center on your TV screen soon enough.

I wasn't the biggest fan but for him to have that status, success and family and end his life means he was probably hurting more than we can ever imagine. My best friend of 20 years just killed himself, funniest and happiest dude I ever knew. I never knew he was in that much pain and I wish I could have done something. Selfish or not, the decision is theirs and theirs only