Buff/emulsion tips - do's and don'ts

Hua Guofang

Hey cool cats, been setting myself up with paint for when I have time in my life again. Been collecting heaps of off-tints for backgrounding/buff but haven't got any decent colours (most of them are just your typical beige, peach, cream or grey - light and dark - kind of colours boring people paint their walls with. It's all acrylic and a mix of interior and exterior paints - all different sheens.

I know sweet fuck all about paint in terms of technical issues but want to be able to mix up the colours that I want for backgrounds. What do I need to know here, is it fine to mix interiors and exteriors, will mixing different levels of gloss/sheens cause any probs, what kind of paints can I get a hold of (thinking of reds, blues, greens, yellows, blacks, whites) to tint the bases I already have? I can pick up a little bit of tints from the local hardwares here and there but they are probably starting to get tired of me bugging them so I'm keen to just source a bunch of base colours of my own to play around with.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions and experiences appreciated. I'm married and saving for a house, the cheaper the option the better!

Aaand tits.

Tits.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yellows to warm the colors up

Blues to cool them down

If I remember- mixing acrylic and oil doesn't work well. Paint separated after rolling and had to do multiple layers before what was underneath couldn't be seen

I still have some notes and shit from a color theory class that may get a lil more in depth if you want to to check em

If it were me, I'd just mix it all together and add a gallon or two of black to have X amount of gallons of blackish buff. Makes the colors pop the best IMHO

If it were me, I'd just mix it all together and add a gallon or two of black to have X amount of gallons of blackish buff. Makes the colors pop the best IMHO

That's pretty much what I've been doing up until now, ending up with a pretty dark grey. Wanting to expand out a bit these days with some purples, dark blues, deep reds and so on.

All I really need to do is work out a cheap method of tinting the bases I have without fucking them up (yep, def cant' mix acrylic with oil) and then I can experiment. Need to friend up some one working in a paint shop/factory who can hook me up with a range of tints.

Once you get to a certain point w black there is no going back

When mixing the other colors just remember - a littleeeeeee bit of white goes a longgggggg way

Just go into a paint store and chat em up and let em know you're interested. Never hurts to ask. That's exactly how a lot of sneaker dudes get their hook ups. Having access to a paint mixing machine(thing that shakes the can) would be awesome.