• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KILZ FILLZ

GoogleCardboard - DIY VirtualReality Headset using your smart phone

http://m.bbc.com/news/technology-28120953

Google Cardboard: The 'Oculus thrift' virtual reality headset

1 July 2014 Last updated at 23:41 BST

Google has produced a cheap DIY virtual reality headset made solely of cardboard, embedded with two lenses.

When a user places a smartphone in the front of the device, the viewer receives an immersive 3D experience comparable in many ways to more expensive hardware like the Oculus Rift.

The device began as a side project by a single engineer, and was developed over a period of just six months. Google now says it wants to spur development of the emerging field of VR by handing out the devices to software developers to create new experiences.

The BBC's North America technology correspondent Richard Taylor had a chance to experience the device and met the head of its research team, Christian Plagemann.

i saw this on the news a few days ago....looks cheap as hell and people will probably laugh at you, but i see what they were trying to do.

id rather see google focused on bringing google fiber to my neck of the woods!

From what I gathered a single guy at google develope this an they are using it as a way for small developers to further Vr tech in an inexpensive way

Something called Ocular Rift is the only other alternative and is super expensive

What's google fiber??

but virtual reality technology has been around forever...youd think the technology would be cheap by now anyways.

google fiber is apparently a gay bunny rabbit...

Google_fiber_logo.jpeg

lol....such a terrible logo....but seriously...this is google fiber...

1446515166.png

i would love to download 528 megabytes per second.

heres the wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now