Reefers getting scrapped?

Mescaline

I was just randomly browsing and came across this page.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3243622

I don't know how legit the facts are.. But I found this interesting

"Union Pacific is the largest owner of reefer boxcars at approxmiatley 4000 cars with 3500 of those facing mandatory retirement in 2016."

I don't get why these reefer cars are so desirable to paint if they're sent to retirement so quick? Of course I hit them any chance I get. But sounds depressing to think most of them are possibly getting scrapped soon.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

they move around a lot, which is why they are desirable to paint.

but hey, you are reading a forum

and you should always take what you read on the internet (esp forums) with a grain of salt.

in my opinion, if you are worried about losing cars, you aren't painting enough. one you get past a certain point you realize you lose plenty for a variety of reasons. just paint more.

I heard the rumors of them being scrapped amongst friends of mine as well... I remember hearing the rumors about the UPFEs and they turned out to be true.. as far as the armns go, I THINK that all the baby ridges are getting scrapped, the chilled expresses, and so forth.. but they are keeping the extended flats around. I could be wrong but one bit of evidence that i've seen first hand is a rail company that took on a contract of fixing all the extended flats. That is all they pulled in and released. I think it had to do with the shocks, and some other stuff to be fixed. But for upto 6 months that is in fact all i would see. Tell me if im right in 2 years.

ive heard a lot of this and that. havent gone out of my way to paint them for a while, although i cant deny jumping on one when its available. its just not a priority of mine like i feel it used to be.

but on a lighter note, the AC in my office is working great.

but hey, you are reading a forum

and you should always take what you read on the internet (esp forums) with a grain of salt.

in my opinion, if you are worried about losing cars, you aren't painting enough. one you get past a certain point you realize you lose plenty for a variety of reasons. just paint more.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about losing some cars. But I can tell you that I'm definitely into painting shit that will have the best chance of lasting the longest time possible. You know?

Oh and I also mentioned how I wasn't certain how true the facts were in my OP. But it does sound believable.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about losing some cars. But I can tell you that I'm definitely into painting shit that will have the best chance of lasting the longest time possible. You know?

Oh and I also mentioned how I wasn't certain how true the facts were in my OP. But it does sound believable.

i do know.. and your comment suggests either you don't paint very often, or you must have a lot to choose from if you can be that picky.

and yes, i'd read what you said. i'm just pointing out that whether believable or not, you read that on a forum, not an official document from a rail company or even in Trains magazine.

i do know.. and your comment suggests either you don't paint very often, or you must have a lot to choose from if you can be that picky.

and yes, i'd read what you said. i'm just pointing out that whether believable or not, you read that on a forum, not an official document from a rail company or even in Trains magazine.

I'm not sure why you are trying to make assumptions about me when I mainly came to post this as something for others to check out and spark some conversation in here.

And it's almost as if you are skimming my posts because I clearly mentioned that I still paint them any chance possible.

Of course I hit them any chance I get.

i actually read that there is a new port being built on the west coast of florida that will be carrying fruit from south America up to philly and Indiana,,,, they are already in talks on having several hundreds reefers built for this new project.... I read it in trains magazine issue maybe about 6 months ago. reefers are actually a growing trend... also the majority correct me if im wrong of the baby ridged reefers are refurbished and painted over upfe's, they have been around many years so I could see why they are up for reitirement, plus they are much smaller then the new ones, so im sure its cost effective to just do away with the smaller ones,,,

i actually read that there is a new port being built on the west coast of florida that will be carrying fruit from south America up to philly and Indiana,,,, they are already in talks on having several hundreds reefers built for this new project.... I read it in trains magazine issue maybe about 6 months ago. reefers are actually a growing trend... also the majority correct me if im wrong of the baby ridged reefers are refurbished and painted over upfe's, they have been around many years so I could see why they are up for reitirement, plus they are much smaller then the new ones, so im sure its cost effective to just do away with the smaller ones,,,

i didn't read that about the new port but you're right about the UPFE's

upfe464270-1.jpg

ARMN_761511_20050529_IL_Rochelle.jpg

tpix2693.jpg

they're probably 50 years old - newer reefers are more efficient and much bigger.

yeah .. smaller pool of cars, bright white, smooth, fun to paint, go far.