self-tailoring & DIY clothing

injury

no idea how much traffic this will get, but why not.

most L and XL shit fits fits well up top but everything

down below. and since tailors charge coke prices i'd rather learn how to tailor this shit myself.

anyone else do this? opinions on pinch and pin vs this measurement method?

i have a project in mind but need to get a sewing machine before I can properly add to this thread.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I know its not always an easy thing when it comes to tailoring. My mother is a very big sewer but even she keeps her distance. I have a machine at my disposal but dont have much time to teach myself. Ill say this though. Tailors are expensive while typically seamstresses are not. Usually theyll take in a shirt or another article of clothing for ten bucks. Tailors tend to be expensive because if Im not mistake they start from square one and actually form an outfit for you from scratch while the seamstresses just alter.

Not to keep you from your project, just trying to save frustration in the mean time. Usually Burlington Coat Factories have seamstresses within them. I know Ive gotten alterations for cheap and it looks to be ok work. I wouldnt take any suit of mine to them though if I was looking to get the chest and shoulders altered.

Thought this was going to be about iron press-on designs transfer designs.

I am guilty of making a few shirts from designs that were not available or made.

HQ printer, Color transfer paper, iron, and a clean pressed shirt.

Can't tell the difference. :D

In relation to the thread. My grandmother would always cut our pants that were too short or we out grew into shorts. Made them look legit from right out of the store. Never payed attention to exactly how since i was younger. but i hope you find a way to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anybody got any idea on where to get decent customised badges like you used to sew on your denim vest.

these sort of things

il_340x270.537915338_10eh.jpg

I found a bunch of cool old 1980's era buckethats that would have been given out at the footy but they have a drink maker's name on them (not a beer maker's name that might have been cool) and I want to customise them up to punt off.

• 4 weeks later...

Reckon ebay could help you there. if shipping is outlandish i'm sure one of us (even me) could help.

thread relevant: since i posted this i lost way more weight and now actually fit pretty comfortably into a men's M, so that tailoring need is less substantial. still want to make this one polo military shirt into some patched-out overshirt or something.

• 5 months later...
anybody got any idea on where to get decent customised badges like you used to sew on your denim vest.

these sort of things

il_340x270.537915338_10eh.jpg.2efa0fe9ae0f678a9bcd891abea6dc81.jpg

I found a bunch of cool old 1980's era buckethats that would have been given out at the footy but they have a drink maker's name on them (not a beer maker's name that might have been cool) and I want to customise them up to punt off.

Ha! I have the old denim jacket & vest retired in the closet, has the patches & pins. I think I have the Live After Death one and the Jump In The Fire.

i started making my own clothes in 2010.

i'd say i've gotten pretty good.

made a raincoat this year, and at the end of last year completed a dress with pockets, belt loops, gathers and a collar.

my next big challenge will be jeans. prolly make a pair this spring or summer

dunno. tailoring clothes is a good thing i guess.

but if i had to sew shit i bought, i wouldn't wanna pay much for it.

is anyone still looking at this thread?

shit is so jumbled.

made a raincoat this year, and at the end of last year completed a dress with pockets, belt loops, gathers and a collar.my next big challenge will be jeans. prolly make a pair this spring or summer

would be kinda cool to get a step-by-step for a jacket/coat, if you ever feel like it. what's your least favorite part of making clothes?

but if i had to sew shit i bought, i wouldn't wanna pay much for it.

is anyone still looking at this thread?

accurate. everything also gets destroyed by paint at some point. i buy cheap and ruin fast.

i yam

well sewing with waterproof fabric is insanely hard, because it doesn't flow through the sewing foot, it gets all jumbled and sticks.

that was ridiculous. don't really want to do that again.

it's not bad though, actually.

i've gotten decent much faster than i would've imagined

attaching zippers and elastic can be hard. and i still have problems doing finishing on neck holes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Also to stay on topic I was looking to buy a machine last year to make my own couture hoodies. Turns out every punk bitch and their mom made a run on sewing machines to start their own mask business. Lost interest after not being able to find one for a month.

• LOL! 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:35 PM, mr.yuck said:

Also to stay on topic I was looking to buy a machine last year to make my own couture hoodies. Turns out every punk bitch and their mom made a run on sewing machines to start their own mask business. Lost interest after not being able to find one for a month.

Mask making is a fad.  Try again.