Cassette Tape Decks

Citizen X

Has this been previously addressed? I need a NEW and SOLID cassette tape deck! Did the universe stop making these? Is a top of the line retro Walkman my ACTUAL best choice?

Back in the 90's I had an Aiwa 'duper' that would record both sides at once at double time... recently I could buy another more industrial (70's tech, probably late 80's chasis) 6by that would hit 16x, that's SO AWESOME if I want to promote my dick metal band's latest... hit... on cassingles but...

Where can I find a decent analog tape deck like the old mechanical Akai's ? I'm not entirely thrilled about remastering all the tapes but, since I can no longer listen to the tapes it seems... um, prudent.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Cassette players are not made any more to the best of my knowledge.

I copped a shit ton of original release albums on cassette a few years back and went and bought a stereo separates deck to play them and the tapes just caught and fucked the whole thing.

So do more than i did - you're looking at second hand. So make sure you take tapes and check the tape decks work first. The issue is just finding something in decent nick.

Maybe also look at dead/ex-stock - there must be somewhere that has a few old boomboxes or whatnot with the tape deck still going online? Or else I would suggest a vintage electronics place.

You're having difficulty finding something to record cassettes on; do you think people will make threads on their respective forums to ask how to play the shitty demo you gave them?

imagine the disappointment when they finally play their cherished tape after a long adventure taking them to the four corners of the world trying to find a player. the people who endured a hardship of trading sexual favors in search of this elusive player, getting stabbed, shanked, beaten and fucked in the ass by horses all in the name of this hot mixtape they think may contain the meaning of life. when they finally reach this mexican person who stashed away their tape player in their fat wife's ass and fishing it out. the deck still brown and sticky from the poop of senorita fako cocko. they stick the tape in and play it to only hear some asswipe metal who got stuck in 80's. now they search the world for a long pointy dildo to stab their ears.

You're having difficulty finding something to record cassettes on; do you think people will make threads on their respective forums to ask how to play the shitty demo you gave them?

Yeah, NO.

I probably wasn't clear in my first post because I expect any acceptable machine to play and record by default. Default of the fact that I expect too much? Perhaps.

What I need is a solid cassette PLAYER WITH RCA OUTPUTS (because I'm still not sold on 1/8" phone plugs).

Why I need it is bercause I have ~300 cassettes that made me thousands of dollars in the past (more than 10 less than 100). I have long ago stopped selling these tapes because of licensing issues (industry whole) and my own personal issues w/ licensing (in that I have a couple songs that make actual money). In recent years, however, I have made quite a few inroads towards clearing alot of these songs and, even if I never do that, these are just good tapes.

I need to find a way to preserve them because cellulose decays. I thought it was obvious that I would be pointed towards a digital output but I don't see how that really matters.

So, tldr:

quality Cassette PLAYER

do you think people will make threads on their respective forums to ask how to play the shitty demo you gave them?

Actually, what does this even mean? What "respective forums" are you reffering to? Why would you presume my hypothetical 'demo' is "shitty"? Why do I have to give it to them for them to have it? Why don't you have a little fucking respect for a brother that moderated this forum when you sucked your mom's titty?

Haha, okay.... I don't know who you are/were, .. but, catch feelings much?

I assume its shitty because you refer to your "...dick metal bands latest... hit...." If you'd like to clarify that its not "...dick metal..." you're welcome to, otherwise you're inviting assumption.

"respective forums" would mean who ever receives a cassette demo posts on their "respective forums." meaning, the forums that they themselves frequent.

Its pretty basic English.

And the internet, let alone 12 oz, did not exist during my breastfeeding days so......

damn. this place has no mercy.

what happened to your old screenname? having login problems like 98% of our members?

anyway. i still need a fucking amp so i can hook up my turntable. got lazy on that and let the vinyl collect dust. luckily someone did something awesome and converted a shit ton of old dj mixes from the 90s to digital and i was able to download most of my old cassette stuff.

they definitely still make em though, amazon has plenty. cannot rec. aiwa used to be quality. go with that.

• 2 weeks later...

So: reset:

I was unclear, in my previous posts.. let me be clear.

These are NOT demo's for my 'dick metal band'.

I do NOT need to record 16 tapes at once.

I need to remaster cassettes (to digital, presumably cd output but I've got MANY terrabytes at my disposal so largest file size (biggest headroom) is king.

What I'd hoped to get get were a bunch of quick time opinions on my options for various CASSETTE PLAYERS with either RCA (preferable) or USB (REALLY NOT PREFERABLE, REALLY NOT) htat I could use to reliably play my tapes without eating them.

Used is not really an option because I know how pinch rollers wear AND eat up/transfer dirt and stick to the tape leading to it getting eaten. It happens with good rollers that are dirty and old rollers that are clean, I need new, clean rollers.

So, as far as the tapes I mentioned...As I said, these aren't demo's. These are mix tapes (not DJ style), i dunno, sort of easy listening 70's guitar music. James Taylor, Jesse Winchester, Gordon Lightfoot, etc... I used to sell them to restuarants that wanted continuous quiet music with no commercials. As I said, I made some money there, but these days it isn't really about that.

I also have probably 2k tapes of dubious origin and random sources that could stand to be preserved. The reason I mentioned high speed duping was because I can only live so long and I'd like to get it done. Also, as I said, the only solutions I found were in the multiple tape to tape (or X to tape) relm.

So, again...

If anyone knows of a solid NEW IN BOX tape deck of esteemed quality, please let me know... apparently production has shut down.

Also, as I asked in my original post, if anyone knows about the latest Sony Walkmans (walkmen?) please tip me off too, back in the day those little tape decks used to have some of the widest frequency response bands of all.

To recap, I need an INPUT machine, output is most likely CD.

Well, there ARE dick metal bands, I'm not sure I can successfully deny the existance of an entire music genre with just this little inquiry concerning tape decks ...

Further, we should probably just come to terms with what 'dick metal' means. I generally use the term to refer to the 'glam' bands of the late 80's like Poison or Motley Crue... I think the term (with different overtones) could be equally applied to W.A.S.P. or Pantera in the 90's or Messhuga. All dick comparisons are subjective, however, as in music can be easily defined in terms of length and intensity but 'girth' seems fairly subjective...

Anyway, this get's me no closer to preserving my collection so the cellulose continues its decay...

Tangentally speaking...

In my head, I was just lamenting the fact that I brought up the 'duper' and high speed replication in the first place because it really has no place in the archival process (I realized after about 2 days thought). Now I think further about how that's a ridiculous thing, I'm reminded of a news item I read within the last year about some woman who had taped every hour of TV for 20 years (forget how that worked with different channels and sign off but... it's out there). Estimations were that it would take about 35 to archive because everything was going at 1 to 1 speed. So, my question is why isn't there even a Pro level archiving machine that plays and records media (cassette, lp, whatevs) at a highly accelerated pace and then digitally resorts it to be slowed down? This seems like a fairly simple task from the analog side, My inexpertise is on the digital side so, if anyone knows... what am I missing? Why can't we do this simply and cheaply?

Esoterically, did we evolve the archival paradigm so quickly that while accomodating the oldest formats (scanning papers and pictures rapidly or 'en masse') we have neglected the technologies of the late 20th century. Like, what can I actually do with my 8 track copy of Prince 'Dirty Mind'?

ION Audio TAPE 2 PC USB Cassette Recorder Deck

tape2pc_angle_black_lg.jpg

ON Audio TAPE 2 PC USB Cassette Recorder Deck

No tricks and no special drivers required! The ION Audio TAPE 2 PC USB Cassette Recorder Deck is a revolutionary device that will convert your cassette collection to CD or MP3 files. Preserving those precious cassette tapes is easy with the Ion Audio TAPE 2 PC Recorder. Simply plug the USB cable into your computer, load the software and press the play button.

ION Audio TAPE 2 PC USB Cassette Recorder Deck Features:

Quickly transfer music on your tapes to MP3 format on your computer

Dual dubbing cassette deck

Plug and Play USB audio interface - no drivers needed!

Metal and CrO2 tape selector

RCA Inputs and Outputs

PC and Mac compatible

Audacity (Mac and PC) and EZ Tape Converter (PC) recording software included!

The Ion Audio TAPE 2 PC comes bundled with EZ Tape Converter and Audacity (Mac and PC) software. In addition to creating MP3 files right on your computer, the software will allow you to transfer your new crisp, clean files straight to your iTunes account.

What's In the Box?

USB Cable

Stereo RCA Cable

Software CD

Quick Start User's Manual

Analog to digital MP3 file conversion could not be easier. don't forget the Ion TAPE 2 PC is also a fully functioning, dual-well analog cassette deck allowing you to play, record and perform high-speed duplication of standard cassettes.

then just torrent a copy of this http://www.celemony.com/en/capstan