Bill Nye V. Creationist...

Fist 666

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't a proper debate, more a bunch of disconnected illogical tangents on one side, and the other side trying to be an adult while dealing with a child.

After watching it I was kind of pissed that Nye gave this guy the time of day, but if his being there changed the mind or life of a single brainwashed kid that was drug there by his parents sees the greatness of science, or some christian kid sees it online and realizes that the people at the forefront of his ideology are morons and tries out atheism, it was worth it.

• Like 2

It wasn't a proper debate, more a bunch of disconnected illogical tangents on one side, and the other side trying to be an adult while dealing with a child.

After watching it I was kind of pissed that Nye gave this guy the time of day, but if his being there changed the mind or life of a single brainwashed kid that was drug there by his parents sees the greatness of science, or some christian kid sees it online and realizes that the people at the forefront of his ideology are morons and tries out atheism, it was worth it.

Agreeing with you !00% here, it was almost painful to watch Ham's arguments. It astonishes me how creationalists so passionately defend their views with the facts contradicting them laid so plainly in front of them.

I was also surprised to see Nye get on the pulpit with this dude. You don't even need 30 seconds, just seeing the words "debates creationist" is enough to be able to accurately predict the entire two hour segment. But being from the Dirty South, I can say that any form of intellectual injection is well needed, and I think Nye had to take off his natural, logical hat, and become a patient but firm teacher, sort of like a special ed instructor.

The important thing is that Nye took a step down from where he normally operates - a sterile, intelligent and logical no-feelings-hurt environment, and waded into the swampy bog of Christian rhetoric and feel-good catch-alls. After all, these are people that vote for their state representatives, who vote for the bills that change our country. Hopefully Nye and Tyson will be able to reach that backward ass portion of the population. I know he did for me when I was raised hyper-religious, and coming home to watch his show was like stumbling upon a hot spring in the middle of a Siberian tundra.

When Ham, for the second time said "well, there is one book that answers that, Bill..." I was dying for the retort, "Well, Ken, there's actually many fictional books that answer that question, not just one - unfortunately none of them are based on facts" or something along that line.

The ending was definitely the most telling of both. When Ham was left squirming and cornered by the "literal bible" question, and said in effect, "You should listen to my interpretation of what's right and wrong in the bible, even if I use the bible as a solid bedrock for some logic, and as a sort of grey mushy "poetic" area for others." I mean, he pretty much crucified himself on that one, and Bill just kind of pointed it out in that kind of fatherly way. That killed me.

• Like 1

Here's what I took from it; I think Nye did this not to convince Ham of his point of view or even to discredit him... maybe embarrass Ham (which anyone can do). I think Nye's success is educating people that don't know of the conflict, or don't know exactly what the exact issue is... he is creating the awareness with his popularity and reach. Bill Nye is the man.

I like that he kept talking directly to the state of Kentucky, you can see although they're taking shots at each other, Nye is definitely trying to educate the public.

On that note, a pic of a penguin.

I love science.

enthusiastic-penguin-meme.jpg

Here's what I took from it; I think Nye did this not to convince Ham of his point of view or even to discredit him... maybe embarrass Ham (which anyone can do). I think Nye's success is educating people that don't know of the conflict, or don't know exactly what the exact issue is... he is creating the awareness with his popularity and reach. Bill Nye is the man.

I like that he kept talking directly to the state of Kentucky, you can see although they're taking shots at each other, Nye is definitely trying to educate the public.

This is exactly right. For people who haven't heard of "the creation museum", this is Ham's little brainchild. Scary shit, brainwashing kids into believing this nonsense. Nye is merely trying to combat this ignorance by dropping some knowledge.