deep south gets a dusting of snow, shuts down

!@#$%

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/29/268132977/rush-hour-from-hell-drags-on-in-icy-southern-cities

who thinks sand is good on roads for ice?

southern people

By 4 a.m. ET Wednesday morning it was hour 16 of what had turned into a "rush hour from hell" in Atlanta, the Journal-Constitution writes, as thousands of vehicles there and in other cities of the Deep South remained stuck on roads that were covered in snow and ice by a fast-moving storm that blew threw Tuesday.

That's worth repeating: Hour 16.

According to the Journal-Constitution:

"Traffic was still bumper-to-bumper and barely moving on several Atlanta interstates, including on I-75 north of downtown, on I-20 west of downtown and on the top-end Perimeter.

"Students remained stranded at schools early Wednesday, as commuters lucky enough to make their way to makeshift shelters began waking up in churches, fire houses and stores that remained open all night to provide a warm place to stay as temperatures plummeted into the teens."

stay toasty, oontz

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

albert, it's certainly not everywhere in murica that is like that.

minnesota and new hampshire for example, are probably laughing their asses off.

i mean, it's 12 degrees here right now, and no one is crying.

that said, canada has their shit together for winter

i'd just hate to see em deal with 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

anyway.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

NEW: "People were making a lot of independent decisions," Atlanta mayor says

(wtf does that mean? atl people don't usually think independently? :haha: )

Atlanta officials urge drivers to stay off streets for 24 hours whaaat

"We've been in the car for over 12 hours," one resident says .. cuz we're dumbasses

At least five are killed in weather-related traffic accidents in Alabama

oops

albert, it's certainly not everywhere in murica that is like that.

minnesota and new hampshire for example, are probably laughing their asses off.

i mean, it's 12 degrees here right now, and no one is crying.

that said, canada has their shit together for winter

i'd just hate to see em deal with 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

I just found that sentence "plummeted into the teens" hysterical, almost an oxymoron because that's like nice spring weather for us. Don't get me wrong, people up here still drive like idiots at the first sign of snow as well. Universal idiocy.

Central North America gets blessed with both extremes. Gets to 40C with humidity in the summer sometimes. :D

I find it laughable. Im in the NE of Georgia and we got maybe like 4 inches of snow and everyone flips out. I grew up on the coast Florida with hurricanes all the time and we never shut anything down. Sure people freaked out when it came to getting gas, but that was about it. One whole summer we left our house boarded up because there were so many hurricanes rolling through. Best was, well not best because of so many that died in Louisianna, but because of that hurricane Bud was selling cases for 5 bucks. 24 beers for 5 bucks....ummm yes please.

They just dont have the equipment to deal with the ice nor do the towns invest in it because it maybe snows once a year. I think I might buy a snow plow and be the savior lol

I just found that sentence "plummeted into the teens" hysterical, almost an oxymoron because that's like nice spring weather for us. Don't get me wrong, people up here still drive like idiots at the first sign of snow as well. Universal idiocy.

Central North America gets blessed with both extremes. Gets to 40C with humidity in the summer sometimes. :D

indeed . it is hysterical.

i agree... universal idiocy.

imagine if weather gets really bad. i still buy into science, and think climate change is happening.. there will be a lot of madness in the future and this is a funny taste of how bad it gets and how fast that happens

CIL

my least favorite american cities include Atlanta.

while i like NOLA and Savannah, i don't care for much else thataway

What I hated down there the most is the self segregating attitude of everyone down there. Very few people intermingle. There is a general distrust of anyone that is not like you.

I found that southern hospitality was a complete myth, unless you looked like that person.

I was too much of a Yankee to fit in with anyone down there.

i enjoy atlanta when i go.

i do not enjoy weather below 25 degrees.

i think the big stir up about a storm isnt necessary, i live in an area that gets a taste of all 4 seasons. we do shut down school some times when the mass feels its not needed. people do drive like idiots.

my thought is...will it be worse next year?

Like a year after I first moved down here there was a chance of snow flurries in the forecast.

They closed down the highways.

I had to figure out how to drive home from work using the backstreets in a city that I wasn't entirely familiar with that happens to be laid out like a drunken spider web instead of a standard grid of "numbered streets go this way, named streets go that way" like a normal city.

Trying to go on sense of direction here is a sure way to get lost.

There was not a single flake of snow that night.