MOVING TO NEW YORK: insider tips?

Slapbasspresident

As you must have guessed it looks as if I'll be moving to New York next year. I'm mainly looking for advice from locals (or people who know the city well) about good neighbourhoods to consider renting in?

Unfortunately we'll be on a budget. So monthly rent would ideally be $1500 USD or less. I'll be moving with my girlfriend, so I'd prefer a neighbourhood where she can walk around by herself without having to be bothered.

Also if anyone has advice about the lay of the land there with regard to finding creative work that'd also be useful. I have good entry level skills and experience in video production (script writing, camera operation and editing with final cut pro), web content production and really anything related to broadcast journalism.

Much appreciated. Perhaps even see some you next year at some point.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Hey Guys, I'm an Australian writer currently on a tour around Asia.

I'm in Beijing for a few weeks and looking to paint before I go to a few other cities in China.

I was wondering if anyone could help me in locating some places to buy spray paint and roll paint?

Also if anyone here would like to hook up then send me a PM. I'm more than happy to email you some photo's of my work providing I have some idea of who you are.

Cheers

From a few years ago. With no job, makes me wonder how he gets around.

Trust fund.

Since 5 cope2 points closed, your best bet would be Hunts cope area.

Let me point you in the right directions

haha thanks for the points.

makes me wonder how he gets around.

Trust fund.

It's no mystery. Lots of people (including myself) travel and paint without a trust fund. Thanks for your more serious advice anyway. To answer your question, I'm not planing to just show up in NY unable to pay more than $1500 rent and without a job. It's obviously not so simple. Without going into too many details I'll be looking to secure a job before I make the move.

$1500 monthly rent is just an ideal. New York isn't exactly the best city to save money, but we'd like to save a little anyway. We'll see what's realistic when we get there. But We're happy to share a studio (as long as it doesn't come with any hassles and it's in a neighbourhood we like).

Well, forget Manhattan now unless cramming into a studio that shares a bathroom with the entire hallway sounds appealing.

Crown Heights. Flatbush. Bedstuy. Bushwick...maybe. Queens hasn't been as smashed with gentrification yet (lower prices) but don't worry, it's getting there. Honestly if you're coming in from elsewhere without a base in the city you're running a risk of landing in a shitty hovel.

You'll have to post pics of your girlfriend so I can judge whether or not she'd be bothered, and where the least amount of that would occur.

As you must have guessed it looks as if I'll be moving to New York next year. I'm mainly looking for advice from locals (or people who know the city well) about good neighbourhoods to consider renting in?

Unfortunately we'll be on a budget. So monthly rent would ideally be $1500 USD or less. I'll be moving with my girlfriend, so I'd prefer a neighbourhood where she can walk around by herself without having to be bothered.

Also if anyone has advice about the lay of the land there with regard to finding creative work that'd also be useful. I have good entry level skills and experience in video production (script writing, camera operation and editing with final cut pro), web content production and really anything related to broadcast journalism.

Much appreciated. Perhaps even see some you next year at some point.

lamar3.jpg

Unless you are an already well established designer person with tons of contacts it will not be very easy to get a work visa in NYC, if you don't already have something in the works. Just so you know, you should probably get on it last week.

Don't be a yuppie and move into the stereotypical areas. Move into the south Bronx.