Oh 12oz, where have you gone?

CILONE/SK

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that guy has a life to live, and this place isn't so much a part of it anymore

somedays i'm kinda surprised this place is still up and running.

..maybe it would be an idea to sell / give the whole thing to somebody who wants to / is able to take care of it.

You know, like with a cat.

At the moment it is like "that guy" got himself a cat some years ago, took good care of it,

but now he has changed / life has changed (which is comprehensible; it happens).

My point is that

- this neglected cat will die if nothing happens

- how can he not give a shit, it is a really cool cat

but what if it's less like a cat and more like a baby

after all, a lot of effort$ and time went into nurturing it in it's formative years.

that baby grew up ... and into something else

and he's not gonna adopt it out.

the priority is on the news feed. which isn't dying anytime soon from the looks of it

on top of it, this is all just speculation from us, really. no amount of discussion or complaining in here will change anything

I think most forums are dying. I have participated in a few different unrelated forums, they are all losing interest.

After seeing high school kids and what they do, I think they are doing snapchat and shit like that. We are not really getting any new blood in any forums.

Reddit is booming, but size doesn't equate to quality of content. Lots of recycled bullshit and downright stupid shit. But it is a great news aggregator, and in some cases, a source for first hand accounts (as long as you take them with a grain of salt).

The NFL related subreddits are pretty cool, there are current and retired players, as well as people involved in the front offices of teams that do AMAs (Ask Me Anything). Fred Smoot actually became a very active member after his AMA, organizing events (tailgates etc) for the Redskins community.

Some subreddits are great, but the major ones (i.e. what shows up on the front page if you're not a registered user or if you don't play around with your settings) are mediocre/recycled/garbage.

The general userbase is EXTREMELY sensitive. A lot are lonely nerds; you think a girl posting here gets attention? Wait until you stumble on some attractive girl who wants validation posting pictures on reddit with an Xbox controller on her lap. Channel Zero humor doesn't fly, and if you're posting about a problem, the general consensus is almost always "call the police." But they love talking shit about cops, too. It's odd.

There's a sub for almost everything, and I mean everything. Many are quality. Also, despite the weird hivemind, it's pretty diverse in terms of its users. You might have to dig a little bit, but there's a huge membership beyond the aforementioned lonely nerds.

i never liked reddit either

i do think forums are going the way of the dodo

social networking took that shit over.

the guy staying at my house has heard of oontz but doesn't use it

he couldn't care less about forum clocks or login issues.

i agreed with him too when he said that ten or even five years ago, meeting people off a message board might've been cool but these days, not so much.

i do think forums are going the way of the dodo

social networking took that shit over.

(...) he said that ten or even five years ago, meeting people off a message board might've been cool but these days, not so much.

..maybe I'm not the "typical user", but for me SR was never about meeting people.

I got interested in stencils and stuff, and learned a lot from people on here.

I enjoyed seeing stuff from all over the world I would never have seen otherwise.

Documentation, also discussion; in a coherent way, were you can see how shit develops.

Like an archive of stuff from people who are tarred by a similar brush.

Also stuff like KIR's thread.

I mean, where the fuck do you find stuff like that.

As fresh meat around here, what compelled me to make an account and stick around were:

-Reading stories of douchebaggery and other antics though they are generally from old threads

-Stupid but hilarious arguments and internet ego flexing

-The delicate balance between general comradery and trolling

-The nonsense thread

-And the somewhat frequent benching updates in Metal Heads

The login and clock issues have been around since I started so I never knew what the oontz was like back in the day other than seeing a lot more frequent activity. New members these days either just spam, post in toy threads seeking a God-given mentor that will make them the king of all the rapsprays, or are people who got banned. Shame, but it is what it is. Guess people just don't give fucks about forums these days although the potential for great things and networking is still present.

Cool story br0.

Interestingly cats over on Bombing Science are also complaining that place is dying too and they don't have log in issues.

I've had technical issues w/ Bombing Science since the day I joined, barely use it at all as a result. That site has been on a steady downward spiral since about '06 though in my opinion, you could argue 12oz has been on a similar trend I guess. I think a lot of the graff picture scene has gone to instagram, most of the contributors I know just post their flicks there these days. There're pros and cons to that obviously, but in terms of a platform to share pictures it beats a forum in basically every way. Picture sharing forums of this variety are on their way out in my opinion, I don't think discussion forums are going anywhere though.

I like 12oz, but it seems to me that whoever's in charge does not care about the forum. The growing child analogy is all well and good, but if he's not gonna "adopt it", he shouldn't be renting it out to increasingly more invasive advertisers for his own gain to the detriment of the user base. Yea the ads aren't all that bad, but add log in issues and minimal technical support to the mix and you're left w/ little incentive for new members to stick around after their first or second problem.