The Govt Shutdown

KILZ FILLZ

What you guys think? Seems like a lot of people are ok with it. 'Starve the beast' or whatever.

Wish the politicians would stop acting like 8 year olds

There could've been a resolution w out this stupid standoff

I agree we need to end this spiraling debt but there must be a better way

I'm fortunate my company has some money banked and we haven't been furloughed

Only 9 work days worth of that $ to go though

I did a little research and this happened a few times in the 70s and each lasted 10 days

Happened during Clinton for a bit longer

Shit is getting pretty stressful for me and to be honest, is starting to effect my home life.

Crazy times in this country. I don't like the way things are going.

Have a good wknd! Just needed to vent more than anything.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am exempt and my employees are working without getting paid until they authorize it.

I could understand this if they were arguing about money, but they are not. They are trying to make political points with their base.

This is totally irresponsible and is a sign on the GOP splintering.

Obamacare was pass thru the house senate and signed by the president. It was ruled constitutional by the Supreme Court. Obama got elected by a sizable majority supporting it.

A minority pushing their antigovernment agenda at the cost of the peoples voice, is total bullshit

Truly ridiculous that the bill hasn't even been floored yet. I don't care whether you're for or against the bill, to stop it from being voted on at all is silly.

On from there, do you think straight after this, they'll raise the debt ceiling peacefully? Or is it just going to be another gridlock at congress?

I am exempt and my employees are working without getting paid until they authorize it.

I could understand this if they were arguing about money, but they are not. They are trying to make political points with their base.

This is totally irresponsible and is a sign on the GOP splintering.

My understanding for the reason they were attacking the affordable health care act was the $?

I think both sides are to blame at this point

this shutdown is complete bullshit. it's political posturing and nothing more. blame lies everywhere, though. the tea party comes first, obviously. and boehner as well - he's gonna lose his speaker position regardless of what happens here i think. hopefully this will mean republicans get swept in 2014 and democrats have the house, senate, and WH.

the bigger blame lies with a system that allows this to even happen in the first place. neither the senate (D) nor the house ® passed the full number of budgets to authorize their operation next year, which set this whole shutdown possibility up in the first place. The government FY ends 9/30 and the new one begins 10/1. similarly, it is impressively retarded that something can be passed and made law without authorizing any of the money needed to pay for it. what the fuck is that?!?! it virtually guarantees useless legislation solely passed so that congress can say "hurr i done somethin'."

it will be interesting to see whether this shooting/whatever today ends up being because of the shutdown/forlough. i doubt it, but it might add some urgency if it is.

My understanding for the reason they were attacking the affordable health care act was the $?

there's reasons to attack the ACA and reasons to defend it - both parties are selectively picking and choosing which numbers they like. full disclosure: i don't fully understand it myself but i've read a lot.

reasons i've gathered that the tea party doesn't like the ACA:

- gubmint in mah bizniz

- various lies

- taxpayer sponsored abortions - which is true in the case of rape, incest, and where the mother's life is threatened. and in cases where none of the above are true i don't know whether the ACA covers it.

reasons the republicans don't like the ACA:

- they didn't have anything to do with it.

- the tea party doesn't like it - and without winning their favor, they stand no chance of ever winning an election.

- there exists an exception in the ACA which excludes congress and their staffs from being forced into buying the same healthcare as everyone else. and i feel them on this. it's bullshit that you can pass a law for the entire country, including your constituents, and then exclude yourself from falling under it. fuck that.

- every other part of the ACA except the individual mandate has been postponed for a year, including the "corporate mandate" - and many of the corporations who qualified for this extension are big obama supporters.

Obamacare was pass thru the house senate and signed by the president. It was ruled constitutional by the Supreme Court. Obama got elected by a sizable majority supporting it.

I think once people see it's not that bad after all it will live. for now it's still in that grey area where popular support is NOT strong enough to keep the challengers away - and like prohibition, it could get challenged/fought/declared illegal by individual states (south carolina already did this) and otherwise dragged to shit in the public eye, which then affects who gets elected.

/dc

Also the deficient has been cut in half, which is outstanding.

As for the debt ceiling, imagine if you invested in something and the people refused to pay you because they'd do not want to spend the money. That is how the bonds and debt ceiling would work.

Slogan: invest in America, let us say fuck you when you want what was promised.

This is what happens when a bunch of flag waving rednecks who were patriotic as fuck when Bush/Cheney were lying to them on Fox News become enraged at the fact that our next president was not only a Democrat but a "nigger".

Then these same exact flag waving rednecks all of a sudden decide that they're born again anarchists who hate the government.

And since most normal people only vote during presidential elections combined with the fact that Republicans have a talent for Gerrymandering congressional districts in their favor, the born again John Birch society (now known as the Tea Party) who represent the vocal minority of this country were able to elect a bunch of nut ass dipshits into congress.

So now these nut ass born again anarchist dipshits who know damn well that they only got elected to "shut down government" are doing exactly that, in between trying to expand the very government that they're railing against to try and force a ban on abortion and shove their uneducated Christian dicks down our throats while telling us how "God" wants us to run this country that was born on the secularism that they deny.

TLDR: Racist, Christian, redneck, retards fucking up our country as usual.

Also the deficient has been cut in half, which is outstanding.

As for the debt ceiling, imagine if you invested in something and the people refused to pay you because they'd do not want to spend the money. That is how the bonds and debt ceiling would work.

Slogan: invest in America, let us say fuck you when you want what was promised.

We've had debt ceiling issues since before 2008. Regardless of whether or not you support it, Obamacare is an outrageous expense for the country. I think if it were to stay around for 10 years in its exact form, people would be horrified by the unintended consequences. Were any of you alive when Medicaid was rolled out? Because I thought Medicaid was supposed to be the answer for all the people who will allegedly benefit from Obamacare. Let's say you go to the ER, you get a $1000 bill, you have Medicaid. Medicaid will pay roughly $350 of that bill and the hospital will write the rest off. For comparison, BCBS would probably pay around $600-650, others would pay closer to $750-850. The general consensus right now, because nobody actually knows, is that the ACA programs will be paying out less than Medicaid does. And just get ready for the way subrogation liens are going to be handled in the future, they're either going to go widely uncollected (not good for the insurers) or become much more stringent (not good for the insured).

Clouding the subject, just like republicans are doing. Obamacare should not even be in the current debate, since it it not affected by the shutdown. I have not heard one argument from either side about money. It is always about a totally different subject, Obamacare. It is the law and has been challenged and passed all. Everyone needs to get over it.

Imagine if the shoes were reversed. A dem congress shutting down the government because they do not like the lack of real gun laws. Which has nothing to do with the governments budget, but is the same thing that is happening now.

Extremists are holding the rest of us hostage.

I do enjoy how the right is tearing itself apart. The next election should be good.

One side is clouding the issue with Obamacare, just like you did. The other side only wants a "clean" vote on budget stuff.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. The post really has nothing to do w/, nor offers any opinion on, the shutdown though. No reason to read one side's position on a completely separate issue into my statements about Obamacare.