Salt water maceration of a coyote head - an Experiment

Keepitrail

I just cut off a coyotes head and I wanna see what happens

Good to see you all again. I've just come across a dead coyote and I'm rather inclined to see what it's skull looks like. Normally I would boil it in a large pot for several hours, but the living situation I find myself in at this moment would make for a rather uncomfortable confrontation with neighbors, according to the precipitous and virus like amounts of rancid brain-fog that it produces.

I decided to try an experiment. I've done a bit of research on methods of skull cleaning in the past, and as I combed my brain for techniques, the word "maceration" kept creeping into -my own- skull... As I recall, it is essentially soaking the head in water for a long period of time, letting the cells soak up water and become loose - after which you can shuck the skull like so much corn.

While I have read of both cold and warm water maceration, I have yet to come across sea-water maceration. This will be the main derivation that I will be experimenting with. It is essentially a combination of the maceration and burying techniques, utilizing crabs and fish and sea snails and seahorses and baby sharks and algae and whatever else comes along to aid in the decomposition of our late friend Mr. (Not-so) Wile E Coyote.

The main problem I foresee is that the preservative nature of salt will inhibit the decay of the tissue. The maceration techniques I have looked at have never used seawater, and as such, tend to promote bacteria growth. I'm not sure on this, it's just my theory (based on little to no research). Pickling, for example, uses salt to preserve (almost indefinitely) pretty much anything you put in with it. Also Titanic.

I'll be updating this thread with pictures, day by day, as the head (hopefully) decays. Feel free to come along for the journey, make preliminary predictions, and talk dead head stuff.

IMG_2200_zps73ae3f1b.jpg

tldr: Cut off a coyote head, and I wanna put that bitch in the ocean with a string on it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the coyote (which I really hope is not a lost dog) laying on the side of the 101 heading South towards the Golden Gate Bridge. I pulled off at the next exit, flipped a bitch, and drove back near to where I thought it was. It took a bit of dragging, maybe a half mile, to get it off the side of the interstate, but eventually I got back to my car. Unfortunately I only had my fishing filet knife on me at the time, and after a few minutes of sawing the head, it broke in half. After a good bit of twisting and ripping, and a little bit of my keychain knife, it came off. I threw the carcass into the woods next to the Buckeye restaurant.

IMG_2198_zpsc90c8a7e.jpg

With the tides, it would be important to keep it tethered to my boat. A fresh animal head is rather tough, so I knew I'd have to "thread" something through it, but I didn't have anything on hand suitable. I found a paintbrush and cut a notch into the end of the handle, and threaded some fishing line on it.

IMG_2216_zps98f2e86c.jpg

Using this as a needle, I poked through the eye socket and came out the neck, untying the fishing line after it came through.

IMG_2217_zps60e7b892.jpg

IMG_2218_zps3a1d1865.jpg

IMG_2219_zps35512954.jpg

eyeball

I haven't found any major ant hills nearby, but I haven't searched too hard. You're in Beirut? That's awesome. I am thinking my next excursion will definately be West Africa, and hopefully over the Mediterranean.

Regarding the other, I have plenty of time - well, a few months at least - but I was more interested in the experiment, and an ant hill in the area I'm in would invite bobcats or raccoons, which would either destroy the skull or carry it off.

The salinity level of the bay isnt enough to perserve it, if it was no fish would ever decompose. If you put in the ocean though, it's just as likely to get fucked up as on land. If it floats the gulls will give it hell, if not The dogfish will fuck with it too. If you could find a shallow pool, the crabs would make quick work of it.

Also, what do you plan on doing with the skull?

You know, looking at it and maybe taking a few rips from it.

Using it to tantalize other users on here who will swear that they're this close to dropping everything and are very seriously looking into taking up a similar lifestyle.

The salinity level of the bay isnt enough to perserve it, if it was no fish would ever decompose. If you put in the ocean though, it's just as likely to get fucked up as on land. If it floats the gulls will give it hell, if not The dogfish will fuck with it too. If you could find a shallow pool, the crabs would make quick work of it.

Where I'm at is near land, so the tidal range is thus: when it's low tide, it's about 4-10 inches, when it's high, it's near 4 feet. I'm thinking it's too close to shore for sharks. But my girl did spot one about a couple months ago out the window so who knows.

brain-fog and poop-mist

ya man, the skull about to get got by some ghost dogfish on that tiny line...

Hahahhaa, good to see you're here!!! Always make me chuckle.

Realism, Gat, & Cilone - the smell is... powerful. It is only bad, however, when I bring it up to inspect it. The water keeps it contained.

Salt water will preserve it, not deteriorate it. A mild acid will work better, make up a citric mix near on 50:50 and soak fully submerged. Even straight water will work better than salt water.

Somewhere out of noseshot would be ideal.

Oooh, I like the idea of a citrus mix. I will try that on the next one. I saw a raccoon on the way home today, but I was doing something time sensitive so stopping wasn't an option. More flicks tomorrow, there is progress already.

You know, looking at it and maybe taking a few rips from it.

Using it to tantalize other users on here who will swear that they're this close to dropping everything and are very seriously looking into taking up a similar lifestyle.

Am not tantalized in the slightest.

Am willing to check back on this thread to see how his mission goes though.

Oh you done did it now...

You just condemned yourself to a lifetime of "dog/fish" memes by people who slept through 6th grade science class.

Welcome to the club LMAO!

Nah mang, dog fish are pretty well known and common. A lot of people in Europe eat them and they are actually a pretty important commercial fishery.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_dogfish.

Plus if you have ever fished in coastal waters anywhere except the tropics you have either had them steal your bait, break your line, steal half the fish you are reeling in... or like me, reel one in only to have the fucker stab the fuck out of your hand as youre trying to be the nice guy and put him back.

Back on topic, the crab pot sounds like a great idea.