Hobo Minstrel riding the Westbound

KaBar2

Stretch Wilson called me this afternoon, Wednesday, August 13, 2013, and told me that Fran DeLorenzo, the Hobo Minstrel, died yesterday in the hospital of a brain aneurysm (a burst blood vessel in the brain.) Fran operated the Hobo Grapevine web site for many years, as well as several other online sites from his home in New Hampshire. Basically, if you wanted to know the latest news about tramps, the Grapevine was the place. He had been in declining health for years, and it got worse after his wife passed away several years ago. Fran was an accomplished musician and performer and sold CD's of his songs online.

Fran was one of those guys that just keeps on keepin' on. He had several serious health problems, including diabetes. He had endured several operations on his feet because of diabetic necrosis, and his eyesight wasn't good, but he enjoyed running the Grapevine and keeping up with all the things happening in the hobo community--gatherings, the National Hobo Convention, and so forth.

More information to come, once we find out details. (Already we're hearing "Who's going to keep running the Grapevine?" This hasn't been addressed yet at all, as far as I'm aware. Fran ran it from a server in his house, so it's not clear whether or not the Grapevine will continue.)

Here's a link to the Grapevine. http://www.worldpath.net/~minstrel/grapvine.html

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.