∞ Asia Voyage ∞

!@#$%

thanks schntiz.

we stayed on the Kowloon side.

i enjoyed that

definitely checked out the HK side though

Rubber Duck:

http://www.florentijnhofman.nl/dev/project.php?id=104

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10032912/Florentijn-Hofmans-Floating-Duck-Sculpture-Arrives-In-Hong-Kong.html

Pic-Credit-Jeremy-Singer.jpg

The World's largest rubber duck was created by Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman in 2007, measuring 16.5 x 20 x 32 metres and weighing over 600 kg.[18][19] Since 2007, several ducks of various sizes created by Hofman have been on display in countries and territories such as Amsterdam (The Netherlands), Lommel (Belgium), Osaka (Japan), Sydney (Australia), Sao Paulo (Brazil) and Hong Kong (China) until 9 June 2013[20] . Then it will go on display in the United States.[21]

Conception[edit]

The creator of the giant rubber duck, Florentijn Hofman, tried to entertain the world by a tour named "Spreading joy around the world" established in 2007. He aimed to recall everyone's childhood memories by exhibiting the duck in 14 cities, starting in his own Amsterdam, Netherlands.[19] The giant rubber duck was constructed with more than 200 pieces of PVC piping.[22] There is an opening at the back of the body so that architecture/staff can perform body check to the rubber duck; as well as an electric fan that allows it to be inflated under various weather conditions.[19]

in Hong Kong, it was briefly taken down for maintenance

http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=62601#.Ud_4Sz4iEqk

unbelievably, to me anyway, it's going to Pittsburgh next

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/giant-rubber-duck-pittsburgh-bids-adieu-hong-kong_n_3430603.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:haha:

backpacking is ok.

i stayed in enough hostels in europe though that i'm done with that experience.

our hotel in kowloon was really nice.

it was tiny, but had massive windows and was very comfortable. cannot complain.

hong kong had a good range of spots

bangkok seemed to have an even more massive range, everything from flea dirt to super posh, but none of it was very cheap.

dubai seemed to have so much opulence you could get luxurious on the cheap.. something i also did in istanbul.

• Like 1

Yeah, the mid east and Turkey need to simmer the fuck down so I can go there. Monkey wife is from small town China where the knowledge of the outside world is not always accurately or objectively passed on, if some one died somewhere once she's too scared to go there. So for now anywhere east of Romania is out for us. Sucks.

Where is the next trip going to be?

Yeah, the mid east and Turkey need to simmer the fuck down so I can go there. Monkey wife is from small town China where the knowledge of the outside world is not always accurately or objectively passed on, if some one died somewhere once she's too scared to go there. So for now anywhere east of Romania is out for us. Sucks.

Where is the next trip going to be?

dude. you need to just buy her a trip and make her go, then hopefully nothing will go wrong. cuz that does suck donkey balls.

next up is the caymans. two days in august for my birfday

after that it's an intercontinental jaunt through lisbon, then a train to marrakech, then fly to madrid, then home with 18 hour layovers in istanbul both ways on the way to lisbon and from madrid

i LOVE istanbul so i can't wait to go back. who knows what the political climate will be

trying to get my pops to go to japan with me next spring

copywatch

copywatch

copywatch

all you hear along Nathan road

this is troof

Bucharest was pretty grimy. didn't mind it -butterfly village hostel was pretty rad.

Brasov was cool - I saw a bear late one night near the hostel eating from a dumpster.

I fell asleep on train from Brasov back to Bucharest and woke up at a train station where they were filming a Nazi movie complete with big swastika banners hanging from the roofs and actors dressed as german soldiers everywhere. bit of a surprise.

anyway sorry for going on. more asia pics please

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
heard they deflated the duck

not heard, but saw on a internet meme of sorts

yes, for maintenance. they had it reinflated by the time i went

thing is long gone from hong kong

to be seen in pittsburgh shittsburgh next

That's a 'blue sky day' in Beijing, dude.....

i know this mang.

i have seen the insane smog in china, well versed on why it happened and how screwed their entire system of 'agriculture' will be in only a short time

i figure, might as well see the world's great cities, before they are destroyed.

Yeah, I still consider doing a PHD on the potential of widespread social instability due to soil and water pollution in China.

I remember when I first started seeing my wife, it started raining one afternoon as we were walking home. She started to run and I said "Don't worry about it, it's just water, who cares?". She said "yes, but this water is dirty"....., took me half a second to have an "oh shit" moment and start running with her.