Maine Hermit: Man abandons Society For 27 Years; Robs to survive

Pfffffffffft

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a strange story indeed.

When I was still a teen, the city I lived in had a hermit living with his dog on a traffic island. The council just left the dude there. He was pretty happy - big tent, had a propane hook up, he just came back from Vietnam and was like, NOPE FUCK THIS I'M GONNA LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF A MAIN ROAD. RIP, Traffic Island Guy.

Why is this SO crazy. The article makes it like this dude is some heroic monk. Dude lived by himself and lived off of others, we have all done this in one way or another, this guy just took it to the extreme. There are countless bums I see in the street from when I was a kid and present day, they do it, this is just a country bum, vs a city bum. The one thing I am surprised about is how he managed to avoid Bear attacks.

• Like 1

Why is this SO crazy. The article makes it like this dude is some heroic monk. Dude lived by himself and lived off of others, we have all done this in one way or another, this guy just took it to the extreme. There are countless bums I see in the street from when I was a kid and present day, they do it, this is just a country bum, vs a city bum. The one thing I am surprised about is how he managed to avoid Bear attacks.

YEah, agreed. There are people like this all over the world, I can think of two in Australia that have been reported on in the last few years. Vietnam vets had a history of this behaviour as well. Interesting story but I think the person who wrote it needs to get their hand off it a bit more often.

The story says his campsite was super camo. The pics don't reflect that.

The story says that he's glad the solitude was over. He probably wanted to come in from the wild but didn't know how to do it or couldn't force that kind of change upon himself.

I wonder if having a roof over his head, three meals a day, some structure in life around him, human contact and the relief of not having to depend on himself for survival is actually relief to him.

There was a guy recently in Australia called Malcom Naden, a blackfella on murder charges that had lived in the bush for a while (I think it was years) evading cops and special tracking squads in pretty spectacular fashion. It's still very recent and you can find reams of shit on the net about him. When he was caught he said that he was glad it was over, much the same as this cat above did.