Kingdom of Bahrain 2013 - Travel Thread

KILZ FILLZ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain

bbVVqNT.gif

three weeks in 'the cultural center of the arabian gulf'

place reminded me of Tijuana but with taller buildings

we got picked up from the airport by a few marines at like 11pm and drove thru the city... and the desert to the place id be working.

it was pretty wild seeing everything for the first time there. ive done my share of traveling but ive never been to an arab country so i wasnt sure what to expect

I0zlot2.jpg

got to my room and was greeted with a case of water and my bedding. i went strait to bed and slept for like 12 hours. it was something like 28 hours or travel up to this point. that shitty mattress was just what the doctor ordered

x8wlEtj.jpg

i woke up midday and got the first look at my new home

t5n1Og8.jpg

chow

WM0RaY3.jpg

i was eating breakfast and everyone else was working. i never saw the chow hall this empty again

7DmLkF7.jpg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

going to work at sunrise to try and beat the heat

7KMthkd.jpg

the sky looks like this all day long because of so much dust in the air. a pilot said they cant rally see anything while they are in the air. its just a big dust cloud from up there

zZ7t0YK.jpg

9c2IsP8.jpg

hadnt seen one of these since i was in italy years ago

9KsXadH.jpg

one of their jets

iSEWCKM.jpg

everyone on base gets a 3 beer a noght ration for morale. but the people who keep track of your drinks are marines... the gunny i was working for said it was 'like letting the bank robbers run the bank'. he was right. i got as many beers as i wanted most nights.

lCLrF4b.jpg

UR8nyl3.jpg

• Like 1

we got a few days off so we took the bus into Manama and got a hotel in town. Bahrain has the huge highways with no cars on them and barely any exits. Our driver was kinda freaing me out because he was switching lanes without looking and then i realized he had the freeway to himself. i wish californian highways were empty like that.

WJ32FB4.jpg

i think this is oil burning

GxYftqx.jpg

UzYeVbQ.jpg

'the wind tower' see the wind farm in between the two towers?

26rXIST.jpg

gWeLhEE.jpg

womens fashion a little more westernized than i had expected

DgtJfu5.jpg

i never saw a park or anything for kids to play in. they played in all the big dirt lots that im guessing were waiting to have hotels or condos built on them. hard to se here but these kids were playing either cricket or soccer

zpWYq9c.jpg

T6lYD9d.jpg

this was the view from our hotel room. well, we thought we were getting a hotel room but it ended up being a fully furnished 2 bed/ 2 bath apartment. shit was pretty dope. it looked like it had been really nice at one point but hadnt been maintained at all. there were shoes prints all around the walls from people leaning on the wall and bracing themselves with their foot.... also no hot water and the shower head was broken.

Z7Rtaqq.jpg

g2F0X9b.jpg

pregaming with some philipino beer with a couple philipino co workers. they were amazed i could drink more than 4 of these things. i handled damn near a 12 pack before we left the room.

PKmnyQp.jpg

we went out to a club and a have a bunch of drunken photos of us but i dont feel like posting those on here....

5TwN65Q.jpg

these guys werent fucking around

0sUfhoH.jpg

this is a pic of 'anerican alley' all the american restaurants and shit for the military guys in Manama. it reminded me of a giant shopping mall food court

PSYABsu.jpg

ecqFXnN.jpg

we got some shawarma here. shit was in the middle of the city and i was the only white dude around for blocks and blocks and blocks of us driving thru slums. shit was kindaaa sketchy haha. shawarma was a total let down though.

MtJrzM8.jpg

dxyVAZV.jpg

fHMHPM3.jpg

yo2bOFB.jpg

b4DiKBq.jpg

more shit on my phone by my usb cable isnt working for some reason so i guess thats it for a while

im gonna watch some hockey now

cheers

• Like 2

thanks for sharing!

can't wait to see more.

too bad there wasn't a sword museum (japan thread inside joke)

whats up with the cars that were painted?

any pics of females?

pics of shwarma?

the guy who was driving us around said those painted cars belonged to the group of people who protest there... i think Shiite? I guess it was some anti govt tuff on the cars or something.

no way dude i wasnt trying to get busted taking flicks of the chicks lol. before i left we had a small heads up on to dos and no to dos while there. checking out the local women was one of them. the ones i did see without their veils were super hot. i remember thinkng they looked kinda like Eva Longoria

no pics of shawarma. we drove like 20-30 mins to go to that specific shop because i had a rep as best in the city. it was pretty packed at like 2 am so i figured the rep was correct. i was expecting something like a gyro but didnt get it. they were more like small taco-ish things. i had 3 and was still starving. but at $9 US each i wasnt trying to buy a bunch haha

• Like 1

I told you it was a shit hole.

props for being my go-to advisor for these trips for work man. get your ass to SD (while im here) so i can buy you a damn beer on the beach and we can check out bikini clad SDSU chicks and eat some california burritos

That, is how to travel thread. I like seeing where I'd be walking/eating/drinking if I went there.

Don't think I'll go there.

Thanks.

i would go back for work but would never spend my own money to go there

but

i wouldnt be bummed if i never went back :haha:

leaving san diego

2K9lcdI.jpg

y5z5777.jpg

this is the only flick i have from Kuwait. we had a layover of a couple hours there each way. instead of being able to wander the airport they kept us in a glass box at the terminal

GBJrbGQ.jpg

oHFOK4L.jpg

we got some local TV in our barracks. follow my boy on twitter

FlhJNKS.jpg

the power of branding. i dont usually wear sunglasses but they are a must there. white sand, what rocks, white gravel... youll get snow blind if you go out without shades

bSXRPfN.jpg

diamonds of all kinds at the gold souk. imagine a shopping mall full of nothing but jewelry stores and shit. precious metals and precious stones is all the entire mall was dedicated to. i was expecting lower prices there but it was the same after conversion.

K9GISYo.jpg

zy74T6I.jpg

bootleg redbull

baPUnQX.jpg

shoulder high hookats... brah.

wEDDbOG.jpg

the end

• Like 1

woah dude. when the fuck was this? i'm super surprised to hear about the shitty shwarma...who'da thought it would be junk out there....extra bummer on having to play it so cool around the women. they are all babes underneath those fucking things.

this was just about all of april

shawarma was super surprising. when i travel i always to to get as much local food as possible but this shit was a major dissapoint

yeah the ones i saw were super dope. i was careful taking pics of people perios. extra careful even looking at chicks.

that country is relatively safe, but being told during training before you leave that the danger level there is high, and that if anything happens to you while youre there no one is coming to rescue your ass is a huge motivator to keep a low profile. i guess they only rescue kidnapped ambassadors and shit? mechanics arent high on the priority list haha

you allowed to ask for seconds? because that breakfast plate looks good, but you could eat that in about 3-4 bites (not counting the pear & fruit salad)

every other chow hall ive been to has been only single servings other than the salad bar

this one you could eat as much as you want though

bunch of fatasses walking around that base