9-5 & 40 hour a week adults, talk to me

injury

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^that.

Im 30+ (with girlfriend). 9-5, well I usually go in at 7 to get ahead for the day, or depending on the week, so I can stay afloat. Seems like a lot of people at my work are fairly religious or full on right wing. Only a few will have a drink after work, if its Friday. I dont have a lot in common with most. I just keep my head down and do my thing.

So in order to not kill myself I play hockey twice during the week in a beer league. Rotating beer schedule, and some fun on the ice. I skate with doctors, lawyers, mechanics etc. Because of this Ive got friends/connections of all types in my community, and numerous times its helped me out at work.

Plus Im not being a fat ass, sitting on my couch smoking a bowl playing playstation after work.

Trust me, playing a rec sport during the week helps.

didnt read replys, but...

learn to take shits on the clock and take your time

now you have to be able to separate "co-workers" and "friends"... sometimes there can be both but mostly not.

just do your 8 and skate. extra voluntary shit is for chumps

dont work too hard or too good right away. other employees may think youre trying to make them look bad and try to fuck shit up for you

as others have said keep busy after work to keep from going crazy. comedy clubs can be pretty good.

and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, remember to be careful what you say in the bathroom. the walls have ears. dont wanna be taking shit about someone and they are shitting. it sounds like common sense but youd be surprised.

i dont work in an office, but i pull 40-60 hr wks/ 5-7 days with a bunch of dudes that are as old/ older than my dad. this is what has worked for me

I don't know. We're all different, but I see some of my staff spend more energy and stress trying to get out of doing work rather than just doing the fuckin' job. I cannot relate to the mentality of slacking off so you don't make other people look bad? How bad does your job have to be if that's even a thought bubble during the day!?

eh i can only speak on my own experience

i have had an issue with it at my job and so have other younger employees i know.

when you got a bunch of older dudes who have been doing the same thing for longer than ive been alive and then i come in and start doing the job in half the time they do, thats the mentality they get

ive mentioned this to an older family friend and he said he had the same experience while working in a factory years and years ago

maybe just a blue collar problem?

I can definitely see it happening. Especially in a factory situation, where this is how it's done, for that's how we've always done it mentality.

I'd just be so bored. You spend most of your life at work, doing it on some sort of 'go slow' setting would just tear me up.

Mistakes ive made over the years in the work force...Listen kids...

1. Do not fuck co-workers, no matter how tempting..It Always ends badly, yea the sexual tension with the girl in QC is so thick you could spread it on your morning toast..Forget it..

2. Do not tell anyone about your herbals and drug use, even drug users have ambition and will throw you under the bus to make you disappear.

3. See Number 1.

4. For the most part, showing up on time, drug and alcohol free will be enough to keep MOST jobs..The rest will fall into place.

5. See Number 1.

I can definitely see it happening. Especially in a factory situation, where this is how it's done, for that's how we've always done it mentality.

I'd just be so bored. You spend most of your life at work, doing it on some sort of 'go slow' setting would just tear me up.

that part was mostly just til they got a feel for me and knew i was an ok guy

i still kinda work at a slower pace but thats mostly just to keep from burning out, or getting hurt, or breaking something, or losing a tool... all kinds of shit happens when you are in too much of a hurry.

even then most times its a 'hurry up and wait' situation anyway

today i did about 30 mins of work in an 8 hour shift

all because i had to stand by for someone else to finish their job so i can start mine

you guys got some actual advice, damn. i keep my head down. don't get involved in office gossip or politics at all cause thats bitchmade shit.

i've been thinking about sports, some I used to play in HS. i'm trying to get a job back in philly, honestly ... @drue's post - we fucking suck at what we do (he knows) and our industry was casually shoehorned into a different kind of business, it's bullshit.

thanks guys.

• Like 1

I work an office job for a software startup company. I put in about 40 hours a week, and this job does not have anything to do with my degrees. I however, really like it because it affords me the opportunity to indulge in my other hobbies/extracurricular activities. Its a stable job with benefits and I stunt on my friends who have weak ass jobs.

My word of advice, work and play can and should be separated. Take an active role in doing what makes you happy outside of work, it reflects a positive demeanor when you are at your actual job.

tumblr_lw2cwqbH961r6p9f9o1_500.jpg

i do a 9-5 office gig. i sit on 12oz A LOT!

when i ge toff i get dinner with my dudes, drink cold beers and plan our night. sometimes its painting, sometimes its chillin with my lady. i work with 3 ladies and one male in the office. i keep candles lit (old ladies stink) i always have my music on. come in stoned. i use office supplies to send out packages to fellow writers. i sketch while im here...pick my nose...i mean...its a job man. fuggit. if the pay is THAT good..go blow cash on cool things to use while at work. :)

go paint though.

i fucking wish i could paint on weeknights gosh/

waking up at 5 is bullshit

ya true lyin bout goin 2 volunteer at a church will only cause u strife n tribblelations cuz the true man upstars GOD wil kno ur sins............

Trollol fuck what GOD thinks, I'm just worried about my boss. Do believe in karma though.

@MC don't think there is a certain number I can take or if they get carried over, but I do get paid for them.

i fucking wish i could paint on weeknights gosh/

go put up some stickers and catch some cutty tags on a route in the early evening..

Albert, my sick days dont carry over but if i dont use them i can get a check cut for the time at the end of the year.. you probably have a set amount. if not take adavntage of your time and dont take off mondays and fridays too often wednesday is a great break in the work week

ya true lyin bout goin 2 volunteer at a church will only cause u strife n tribblelations cuz the true man upstars GOD wil kno ur sins............

:lol: When I read this shit I seriously almost had a heart attack from geeking.

Real, you are the last of a dying breed homie.

All that being said, im not a 9-5 guy, ive always worked obscure jobs with different hours and to be honest ive been lucky with the jobs ive had.

I can't give muchadvice on a Monday-Friday gig, but when I did work the closest thing to a 40 hour a week job I did alot of the things already stated. Take long shits, an what really helped me was making to-do list and writing screenplays/movies and other ideas down while at work. I was isolated when I wanted to be though for the most part, and as far as workig went, went I was working I went all in so when I felt like slacking, esta no problemo.

Mistakes ive made over the years in the work force...Listen kids...

1. Do not fuck co-workers, no matter how tempting..It Always ends badly, yea the sexual tension with the girl in QC is so thick you could spread it on your morning toast..Forget it..

2. Do not tell anyone about your herbals and drug use, even drug users have ambition and will throw you under the bus to make you disappear.

3. See Number 1.

4. For the most part, showing up on time, drug and alcohol free will be enough to keep MOST jobs..The rest will fall into place.

5. See Number 1.

this is pretty good advice

not fucking coworkers is a rule i've lived by.

not having kids is another one but hey..

Yeah i've been chilling the fuck out this week.

I always leave at 5. ALWAYS. i cant understand dudes that leave the office at 7 or 9 pm.

anyways im back to being a degenerate. i realized yesterday that im a degenerate/terrible adult for life ... and cant live otherwise.

I feel you rother, ill never fully grow up and will always be a horrible teenage-adult forever.

No kids, breaking laws, killing my liver, smoking trees and fucking anything that bleeds.

Fuck it, like Tyler Durden said man, were god's unwanted children.

i work 70-80 hours a week, outside nonetheless, but im gonna offer my two cents on how to get through the work day (ive held 9-5s in the past and im not 18 years old so i guess i have some experience in this):

taking long shits and constantly playing with your phone does not improve your daily grind, it PROLONGS it.

youre at work for a reason, do your job.

if youre done your job, start the shit you have planned for tomorrow.

if youve got nothing on your plate for the next day, take it upon yourself to learn something new.

people are gonna say im encouraging brown nosing or being a keener, but im not trying to do that. be genuine, not a kiss ass, it goes a long way. you said youre getting paid decent, so put an effort into your workload, not on how to get by with doing the very least. if youre constantly busy, the day goes by faster. the sense of accomplishment increases at the end of said day. blah blah blah.

youre doing this for yourself, to keep your own sanity, not to impress your coworkers (which is not necessarily a bad thing). and if someone in charge sees you going the extra mile, whats the worse that could happen? a pay raise? a bonus? a promotion? a boost to your reputation? acquiring a dope reference?

i fucking wish i had the time at the end of the day to play on a rec team, had to turn down summer beer league this last week cause of crazy hours. do that.

going into work intoxicated/hungover/burnt out encourages watching the clock tick which fucking sucks no matter what profession youre in. so does fucking around on your phone.

if youre not a complete idiot, you can perform your job and still have time to let your mind wander. like symbols said, plan a trip and have something to look forward to and think about in the near future.

or do what i do and spend countless hours running machinery and doing manual labor and dream about winning the lottery.

i shave off at least 2-4 hours a week just thinking about what i would buy myself and everyone else.

what really does work for me and like others have said is do a physical activity. the physical activity is important b/c it lets you burn off steam, get your blood flowing (which is great b/c fuck sitting at a computer 8 hours a day catching a monitor tan), and get your endorphines up.

but i'd be lying if i wasn't being a full blown hypocrite saying that right now. i was gonna chime in here with solid advice, but fuckit.. i changed jobs a bit ago, and i'm in a rut also. waking up at 5-515am everyday fucking sucks. all i wanna do after work is eat, watch a movie, and sleep. at least i'm on a 9-80 split, so i get every other friday off.

i need to go skate more.

it's not work if you love what you do.

if you don't love what you do, i dunno what to tell ya.

i always knew i never wanted to rot away under fluorescent lights in a cubicle/office, so i avoided it like the plague.

went to school for what i loved, followed my "dream" no matter how poor it made me at the time.

it worked. i'm fine now. no debt, no money issues otherwise, and i look forward to each new day.

if you feel/think you're trapped, then you are and will be. stop thinking that way and watch things change. good luck.