Art Plagiarism

sexcauldron

The "artist's" name is Justin "Slasher Design" Osbourne and he's being accused of stealing artwork from various artists and passing it off as his own with a little photoshop here and there. Here's the article w/ several examples, the comments section provides even more damning evidence:

http://metalbandart.com/?p=2835

A breakdown of one of his covers:

http://f0.bcbits.com/z/41/72/4172735600-1.jpg - Osbourne's work

http://www.mediaboom.org/uploads/posts/2010-12/1292351279_01.jpg http://www.yesweekly.com/triad/imgs/media.images/2708/art7662.widea.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NQpXg0cx98Y/TQrFbjQacoI/AAAAAAAAAJE/YK4Nh0PsUfA/s1600/Nightmare_10+copy.jpg.

Point being the guy is passing stuff like this off as his own, selling to bands, labels, t-shirt companies, etc... He's been working w/ Horror Rags for awhile now and has even done cover art for some new horror movie reissues. If you like horror movies or metal, then there's a good chance you've seen his work. There's also a good chance you've seen where his work comes from. Thoughts?

As an aside, the metal community is no stranger to this practice: http://dennisdread.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/occult-roots-of-metal-iconography_896.html, but I don't think I've ever seen it done as flagrantly and constantly as Osbourne is doing. Some of the things he's ripped off definitely have people willing to protect their copyright behind them, I feel bad for those that bought work from the guy. Could be a lot of cease and desist letters going out soon.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

something similar to this popped up a while back with shepard fairey. i think the consensus was "who fucking cares?"

artists have been copying each other for years. the interwebz makes it easier to copy someone's work and also to call them out for being a fucking theif. as they say, there ain't nothing new under the sun.

I've been a fan of beksinski for years.

A few were straight out bites really kinda lame.

But I once read an article where the guitarist from Radiohead said they haven't released any new rock albums because The Pixies stopped making music. In other words he had nothing to influence him the same way he was inspired by some Pixies songs. Any way I think there is a difference between talent and creativity here. Dude is clearly talented enough to put stuff together and maybe draw a little, but not creative enough to come up with original content and his own ideas. Most of the works here are more chomps then variations.

Take it from the champs, graffiti is for chumps.

• Like 1

I looked at those and it seems that the guy is more influenced by what the people before him have done then straight biting what they did and trying to pass it off as his own. In one of them it clearly looked like he just straight ripped the person off.

Also seems like he is doing design work for people, so who knows if that is what the client wanted. Hey do my cover and make it look like this, I'm going to actually pay you money. I don't anyone who works in that field that is going to tell a client no I can't do that because it looks to much like another persons work. Its more like hey you want to pay me money to do this, FUCK YEAH. Especially if they work freelance and not for some major company.

Also for some reason I figured this thread was going to be about shepard tpwfairey

the entire art world is based on biting.

think back when the art fag revolution started riding there fixies into the graffiti scene. why did we all hate them? becauseapart from there openly soft demenurs for the most part they were biters using graff as just another "medium" to do there art.

they didnt understand the way they were being judged because graff really was and still would be had it remained how it should have been preserved, by far and away thre purest of any form of "art"

a niche sub culture, within a culture. policed by itself for itself by codes and morals intended and understood only by the ones who do it for the ones who do it for the niche itself in order to keep it legit and easily sift out the phony by means of just looking at there shit.

not to sound gay er nothin but graffiti may very well have been the last true form of any grouping of any "type" of art category. now its just as thin, diluted and useless aspaying to paint bowls of fruit in between learning about the lives and how to guides of proper fan boyisms to artists of the past.

in fact, graffiti may actually be the worst now of all sub catagories of "art" because it steady plays itself on boasting how real it is still to this day only to be wearing a tupee and smeared coverup with a far outgrown class of '95 tshirt here in the year 2013.

graffs dead, and so is the last grouping of guerilla artistry.

• Like 1

VERY FEW artists can actually render human anatomy without reference pictures. Before posting a thread, lets see you do it.

Did you even look at the pictures? This has nothing to do with a reference piece or a tribute or some bullshit. Perhaps before commenting in a thread you should actually look at the links it's based on. The guy is copying and pasting pieces of other people's art and using photo editing software to create "collages" that he sells as original artwork. Is there creativity, talent, skill, etc... in doing that? Maybe. Is it disingenuous, lacking in integrity, and a possible gateway to copyright infringement violations against the bands, studios, labels, etc... that he sold work to? Absolutely.

Did you even look at the pictures? This has nothing to do with a reference piece or a tribute or some bullshit. Perhaps before commenting in a thread you should actually look at the links it's based on. The guy is copying and pasting pieces of other people's art and using photo editing software to create "collages" that he sells as original artwork. Is there creativity, talent, skill, etc... in doing that? Maybe. Is it disingenuous, lacking in integrity, and a possible gateway to copyright infringement violations against the bands, studios, labels, etc... that he sold work to? Absolutely.

Aw shit its the intellectual/art property smackdown of 2013. Wait did I say 2013? I meant 1959.

YOU LOSE AGAIN