Just bought my first motorcycle

vanfullofretards

01010101021001160620080308bafafed040e406e61100cdcf.jpg

Not this exact one, but same model and color...Yamaha FZR400 in an aluminum frame

I don't even know how to ride the damn thing. It's still sitting at my buddies house. I got it for $800, which is about half of what it's worth when you consider all the new parts that are on it.

History of it

http://www.fzrarchives.com/fzr400/r6_prototype.html

This summer is gonna be wicked rad yo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
In CA you have to pass the Highway Patrol course to get the M class added to your license...it's pretty easy, everyone I know who's taken the test has aced it. You don't need a license for mopeds though.

You don't have to take the class to get an m1 license. Most people are either too scared to take

the dmv riding test because they think it's too hard, or don't know how to ride when they buy a bike

so they take the class to learn. I took the dmv test and it took 10 minutes, and it didn't cost $250 and

waste 3 days of my time.

You're right...I meant to say you have to pass a riding test, which if you take the class is more or less guaranteed.

It's $250 now? It used to be a $30 weekend class at most community colleges...since he said he doesn't know which end of the bike does what I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sorry, that didn't read very well. I actually hit another rider coming the other way on a dirt track out the back of nowhere. We only clipped handle bars, but it was enough for both of us to stack it. Had a chat, a handshake, and both rode of realising how close that was to being really, really bad.

Kangaroo reference is more because I've hit 5 'roos in my various cars. So I always think about hitting a seven foot tall 'roo on a bike. Just not going to end well.

Stay safe VFOR.

Crashing in dirt is way different...still potentially bad, but your chances of coming out of it in decent shape are better as long as you don't launch yourself head first into a tree.

I used to dirt bike a lot when I was a kid...it was semi-rural where I grew up so there were a bunch of olive groves and fields to mess around in (hence the tree reference). There was a dirt jump spot behind a chemical plant but that got built over by the time I was old enough to ride anything with an engine (nine or so).

Motorcycles ARE the best decision anyone can make. They're great for everything. Also that bikes worth a lot out here in California. Ones in crap condition are double what you paid. Also dirt hurts a lot more than street. On the street you slide. In the dirt you come to an abrupt hault.

Don't sell it till you learn how to rag the shit out of it. Save up and go to race school. Take this shit seriously.

Ahhh someone with some decent bike knowledge... I mistyped in the original post... it's a FZR600 in a super light 400 frame. The engine only has about 7,000 miles on it.

Yoshi exhaust.

stage II Jet kit.

SS brake lines

upgraded 4 pot brakes.

3Ee3Ff3H95Ib5Kc5H9d1o1b0c9980dc661d39.jpg

This is the actual bike I bought

It looks a lot different with the fairings off

Yeah the motor swap is common. You've just gotta replace the suspension.

Might be interested in this: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/09/allow-me-to-introduce-my-very-first-motorcycle-the-fzr400600-gsx-r-r6/

I ride f4i's. I've got a couple of them. I crashed one in 08, learned how to fix everything on them and now scrape them off of Craigslist when some squid wrecks his for pennies on the dollar. F4i's are the honey badgers of motorcycles. They're not built like swiss watches, like old Honda NSR's but they're stunter's bike of choice because you can't kill them.

2luyxh.jpg

2mmwyzk.jpg

There's nothing else to do to a bike like that. You can get front ends and rear shocks cheap. Check Craigslist, eBay, and find a local bike forum for parts. Check fzr forums for compatability issues. Also go online and invest in a mityvac silver line ($60) an oil catch, a set of metric ratchet tools, a couple cheap eBay stands ($30) and an old school torque meter ($25). You can fix anything.

• Like 1

You asked why upgrade susp. I said because there's nothing else you can do. Finding motor parts will be hard for a bike of that age, and there's not much room for improvement. The biggest difference between your bike and mine, or any newer bike, are the suspension components. New front forks and or rear shock will transform the bike. When you get to a point that you're tired of bumps upsetting the bike in corners, do the upgrade. With new forks comes new wheels and brakes so you can get better tires and brakes with better feel.