My Interest in the Art

philumptuous

I am not involved in any form of graffiti or street art, though I am extremely fascinated by it. I would have gotten into it by now if not for moral issues, I guess you could say. I made a couple small stickers, but they still sit in my room.

I am not interested in throwing up a middle finger to authority or working my way up the hierarchy of the graffiti subculture so I can spray paint a crown over my name. I'm not interested in stealing paint or breaking the law.

All I'm interested in is the art; the one continuous flow of paint being sprayed on the canvas wall of an old building. I'm interested in the styles born out of the rush to get up as quick as possible.

I also love that this is one of the few communities of artists that isn't dominated by elitists.

182333_4930246703918_438091078_n.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i never said you were judging, i inferred you were just another chump trying to get in the mindset of a writer. which you are. a chump that is, not a writer.

you came here hoping for a community of artists but you found an asshole to talk to. welcome to graffiti.

Alright. :) Cool. Maybe we can be friends one day. Grab a bite to eat, go ice skating, chat about life. Not graffiti though. Only a chump would ask why you do what you do.

I wrote about my relationship with graff for a zine a few years ago. To me it seems pretty dated...I really had to think about what my motivation was then and I don't feel like I quite nailed it. If I had to guess now, it would be that counseling is expensive and the drugs don't work...I suppose I could be doing far worse things if I had the motivation and inclination, but I'm pretty lazy and not particularly mean. I don't care what other people are doing, IMO most graff sucks...not for lack of technique so much as a lack of soul or pain or some other ineffable quality that isn't there. It took me years to teach myself how to do one or two things adequately, now anyone who wants to can get on Youtube and copy someone else copying someone else...to me, that shows, and new jacks don't get it when I tell them "I'm done with the scene, enjoy it, I don't care and don't worry about what I'm doing because it's not important." Some of them take it personally but they aren't bringing anything to the table that I haven't already seen a dozen times.

At the same time writing on walls is one of the easiest things you can do and I don't blame people for trying it out. But when they say they're part of "the graffiti movement" or self-identify as "a graffiti writer" I think that's corny as hell. It seems like people are afraid to be themselves nowadays, whereas I've been fighting my whole life to stay unique.

No, only a chump would come into a community they have nothing do with (and bring the audacity of judgment with your "moral issues") and ask us to open up about why we do what we do.

You want to know about graffiti? Go paint.

Touchy.. I wasn't being judgmental (This was already said). I don't care what you do. I'll leave though.

• Like 1

Well you should judge us.

We're people that go out an intentionally ruin other people's shit, like shitty malicious children, but a lot of us are grown ass men.

You don't need to leave, just don't ask stupid ass questions, just read all of third rail and the yard and realize how fucking retarded most writers are. Then you'll overcome this idea that graffiti is some kind of community worth being a part of.

True...there are far better and more fulfilling things to be found out there artistically. One thing I'd eventually like to do is start teaching kids how to draw...since schools are gutting electives, they can use all the support they can get.

But, as they say, do you.

EVERYBODY LINE UP FOR DR PHIL TO TELL HIM WHY WE DOIN DA VANDALISINS!

cornball ass thread....moral issues of graffiti. HA.

i never said you were judging, i inferred you were just another chump trying to get in the mindset of a writer. which you are. a chump that is, not a writer.

:haha:

shai - wall of text. idk if thats the one you described it as a "punk rock mission from God", but i like that. it stuck with me

I know this says it is a graffiti forum but this is actually a trap none of us really do graffiti we are all cops, Don't let anyone else know though. Also you seem ok so we aren't going to arrest you since you said you don't want to break the law or anything. Just report anyone you find that actually does graffiti here