Job Thread/Career Change/underpaid grunts/work sucks

Sleazeside Heights

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College is essentially a joke unless you go to grad school or beyond that. A bachelors counts for essentially nothing at this point in time since most people have them. You might be able to get a job at trader joes with that unless you picked the right field. And odds are that field is gonna crash in a few years anyway. Forget art school and shit like that look for something that people are always going to need.

Well, just a second there, professor. We, uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won't be receiving a paycheck.

Er, uh, what I meant to say is any job worth a fart requires a BA/BS as the minimum requirement, so sadly you do need a degree. But whether it is from Northwestern, or University of Mayland University College (real place) is inconsequential.

You can get plenty of crap jobs with a degree but unless you have a masters or beyond or picked the right field your job is essentially shit. Of course I didn't go to college to find a job so while I may be 30K+ in debt right now at least I have a practical knowledge of subjects that highly interest me.

Cable guy huh? might have to see what that's all about. Would love to do mail delivery. I'll definitely looking into dog-walking. Most agencies that set you up with clients want you to have fancy phones to check in all the time, I've still got outdated technology. I've worked grooming before, and that sucks. Not the place you want to be at for 8 hours a day. But shit, anything that let's me be outside I'm into. Teaching? Nope. been there, done that. school system is depressing, and kids today are way too much to handle. I'm trying to kick the cigarette habit, and would not be able to handle the headaches kids bring.

Maybe it's worth it to try and get a cdl license. At least for a box-truck, no 18 wheelers or anything like that.

I'm also like symbols in the fact that I like to do different things, and picking something for a lifetime is scary. When I get bored, I need a change. Definitely not going back to school though, i'm in enough debt. If I can find a tradesman to apprentice under, I'd be down for that, but yeah no school.

It's all so heavy to think about.

I've learned that looks and charm can get you pretty far in general in job world. and attitude

I'm currently working a gr8 manufacturing job(easy) and saving money to make 'rare' jackets/sweaters and theoretically sell them to people on the side.

Even if I don't make any money, it's what I'll be doing with my lief and I'll be digging all the doubt and frustration because I have a great god damned attitude

Er, uh, what I meant to say is any job worth a fart requires a BA/BS as the minimum requirement, so sadly you do need a degree. But whether it is from Northwestern, or University of Mayland University College (real place) is inconsequential.

going to have to firmly disagree with that sir.

a few years of experience working at ISP's and a couple not so hard to achieve cisco certifications can go a long way towards 6 figures. no overtime. no suits at work. no bs. no college.

Cable guy huh? might have to see what that's all about.

you should. just do it for a few months, learn about networks, educate yourself. dont stagnate. you'd be suprised how little it takes to work your way from field operations into engineering. the paper isnt very far from the front door. just sayin!

going to have to firmly disagree with that sir.

a few years of experience working at ISP's and a couple not so hard to achieve cisco certifications can go a long way towards 6 figures. no overtime. no suits at work. no bs. no college.

Way to point out the one job in a million to disagree with me. I already stated code geeks make great cash, but that Cisco shit is overrun run by dots. Sonjay is always willing to do it for fraction of the price of Josh.

I was speaking in general, go on LinkedIn or job engines and see how many 40k+ jobs (don't) say HS diploma or equivalent.

I also am an advocate of trade schools & certifications. Doing something niche in high demand is money in the bank. For example, my buddy is a head hunter for the plastic industry, any job having to do with plastics is insane.

Go to college and get a business degree? Welcome to Starbucks.

And fuck kids with history, philosophy, psych, English, & other worthless bullshit degrees.

Take a few years to decide what you wanna do before you go 100k in debt for a piece of paper that will put you in the middle of the pack.

Only way I would enter the armed forces is OCS, and as far as I know that isn't really popping right now for the reasons listed above.

I do have a family member that got in about 4 years ago, has hit the road to spinning the military into a career, and loves it. However, their outstanding loans were quite high (from a real prestigious foreign policy/politics/shit like that type school) and the military didn't foot the bill for shit.

Way to point out the one job in a million to disagree with me. I already stated code geeks make great cash, but that Cisco shit is overrun run by dots. Sonjay is always willing to do it for fraction of the price of Josh.

Its not really "one job in a million". And I disagree that its "overrun by dots" thats sorta bigoted and myopic. Sure at the ISP I work for a lot of the people I work with are of eastern descent. I can't say I've ever knowingly lost out on a job to someone of a different ethnic background and got so sore about it as you apparently are. If there are a lot of eastern peoples that are involved in Cisco (and IT in general) that makes them smart enough to know where to find money, but thats it. There are hundreds of different jobs you can make paper off of and not have a degree of any kind, besides high school. Picking a direction to go in and going in it matters a lot more than the industry you pick or the credentials you have. In my personal limited opinion.

If you want to do graphic art, try to get contracted with a big company....aka, don't get hired with them, work FOR them. They will pay freelance prices and keep you on seasonally (or as long as they need you) especially if they don't have a budget for hiring on a new person...it usually comes out of a different budget. I hear Gap always does this.

I've worked for one major corporation. Before that was smaller businesses. I gotta tell ya, working for a big company can be a huge pain in the ass, and sometimes it takes a long time to get to where ya wanna go. But the security and sometimes the pay is well worth it. I did a little bit of college but milked my job for some classes and it really advanced me with the company. 7 years with the same one and if I ever want to move, transferring is a breeze.

But you know what? It took me a while to get to where I am. Hell, I didn't even think I'd be with the same company for so long.

Interviews are the worst. THEE worst. It's kinda like selling your soul to the devil or doing a real good job at knowing your worst attributes but making them sound OK.

My advice-

Resume:

1. Write down ALL your experience and skills on one sheet of paper.

2. Build your resume: your name in big letters with contact information, experience (you don't need EVERY job, just the important ones to where you are applying to), a few of the skills you wrote down before, education, and 3 references (professional...not your mom). Take a look at your experiences and skills and apply them to your resume.

3. have someone proof read it...maybe two people. Nothing is more annoying that spelling errors on a resume.

Applying:

1. Look online: craigslist, local listings

2. Apply online or in person

3. After you apply, go to that business and show your fucking face to the hiring manager. Bring in a paper copy of your resume and have a super short convo about why you want the job.

What not to say:

"I want this job because I live close by"

"I haven't had a job in a while" (you can usually lie about this)

"I don't know anything about this company" (research it...grab some buzzwords from their website)

Then there's the interview:

1. Take rescue remedy or something that will chill you the fuck out before you go in...but not too chill.

2. research the company

3. know the names of the people who are interviewing you

4. dress like you want the job. Jeans and a ripped shirt usually doesn't help unless it's a strip club or a janitor position

5. shake hands with the folks that interviewed you

6. it's OK to not know an answer - don't be an obvious bullshitter. People can smell that shit a mile away.

7. Ask when they will get back to you

8. Say thank you

last year was fucking rough..laid off twice, worked a bunch of shit jobs but met some really decent people. Got hired by a great firm last Sept. and haven't really looked back. quarterly bonuses, regular raises, company pays for lunch every friday..little shit that means a lot to someone not rolling in dough. really though at any stage of the game just be happy to be employed. don't take a fucking dime for granted because riding the train broke sucks

• Like 1

Go to college and get a business degree? Welcome to Starbucks.

And fuck kids with history, philosophy, psych, English, & other worthless bullshit degrees.

Take a few years to decide what you wanna do before you go 100k in debt for a piece of paper that will put you in the middle of the pack.

i'll say this ... i know kids in business schools (good ones) who got $60k/year jobs after graduation and others who went straight to retail. it's all about networking, like you said.

if you do go to school, dont expect to be handed a single thing - work your ass off, impress people and get references, use as many people who are connected to the school as possible. this is the only way school can yield opportunity ... otherwise, you're a sucker like the rest.

"a man makes his own way. Non serviam"

12-the-departed-jack-nicholson.jpg