Job Thread/Career Change/underpaid grunts/work sucks

Sleazeside Heights

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm about to go back to grad school

becoming a molecular biologist was a good choice for me

now to secure an advanced degree and i can gtfo of this country.

looking for a new job is one of the worst chores in adult life.

trying to figure out what you wanna do with yourself can be worse

I have never wholly known "what I want to be when I grow up."

After highschool I had a few free rides to choose from and decided to just keep on working bs jobs. I eventually went to culinary school thinking that made sense, and it did open up doors to work in some awesome restaurants, but the debt from that made the me join the army.

I went through a brief phase of wanting to do that career before bureaucracy and nonsense burned me out.

Now I'm looking at going to school again. I have long term goals of home-steading and going off the grid, so I'm looking at electrical engineering for power reasons, I've already got a pretty solid handle on green thumbing, but I still have no idea what I want to be doing on a daily basis.

"some people have no willpower, no vision, they just float through life like lumps of crap."

that resonated with me from an early age...

Work from home & profit tremendously.

Learn to code LAMP:

1 Linux

2 Apache

3 MySQL

4 PHP (Perl or Python too)

The work is there, & companies struggle to find developers to contract.

Work from home with many clients, or contract with a company & mostly WFH, then pop in the office one day a week. Wear a slayer shirt, they won't give a fuck.

Plus whether these bozos know it or not, Google is forcing their hands to change their websites to be responsive to all mobile devices, versus having a separate mobile site.

Over the coming years, most companies will need to dump their mobiles sites and redesign their main sites to be responsive.

Work to be had.

Own billable hours to be made.

Pants to not be worn.

Do it.

i want to do everything

it was very hard for me to settle on a career

i'd have been totally happy being a PI, or a lawyer of some sort or working as an investment banker. but i do value my values so i'm happy where i ended up. research science doesn't have a lot of bullshit politics in it.

that said you can consider getting certified as a phlebotomist or pharm tech or something. doesn't take long and the pay is decent, with opportunity for advancement

if you're looking for a change of pace, i'd suggest cable installer or mailman..

my father was a mailman

don't do it

there is a reason disgruntled worker shooting began with postal clerks.

AND the post office is looking to shed workers right now

they are about to cancel saturday delivery.

trash man jobs are VERY hard to get in my area but they pay well.

i'd recommend UPS if you want to go this route ..fedex doesn't pay nearly as well.

amazing benefits and the muthafuckin teamsters union

if you have a record, forget it now.

and i have also known a few people. yes, a few, who went overseas to teach engrish and LOVED it

a few went to thailand and one went to japan

their stints there are either still in progress or lasted over 4 years. my friend J learned japanese too.

i fucked off for most of my teens and twenties. dropped out of high school, worked at some sandwich shops and sold a bunch of small bags of herb to get by. i worked at the main library in downtown san jose for about six months but got fired after showing up late and hungover too often. i did get domed up in the dowstairs room where we checked the books back in though.

one of my favorite jobs was working for a plant company in portland or. we leased plants to office buildings, gyms, hotels etc. three days a week i drove a route and watered and fed plants at those locations. no time cards, pay for mileage and i could get away with skipping a few stops on occasion. the other two days of the week i worked at the greenhouse taking care of plants there and preparing wholesale orders.

the last few years I've been farming medical marijuana outdoors in northern cali. i pretty much have to stay at the property seven days a week for the summer and early fall, but besides at the beginning and at the end, the actual work only takes a few hours a day. there's ups and downs to being alone on a hundred acres for an extended period of time. lots of time for hobbies, play music as loud as you want, shoot my guns anytime. on the other hand it gets lonely. i only trust a few people to know where my spot is so i don't get many visitors. the money's good though so in my months off im able to travel and ball out. i think this buisness only has a few years left before drastic changes occur so im stacking money to open my own business of some sort down the line.

shai: i hear the area around uc berkely's a gold mine right before school gets out for the summer. rich kids tossing flat screens and furniture rather than figure out how to move it. so you might want to check that out.

I worked bullshit jobs for a few years and kinda got stuck in the routine of work, hate life, sleep, repeat. Spent 2 years working in a call center doing sales, which was decent pay, decent benefits, but completely crushing mentally. Without going into too much detail, I started working in consulting and now have the pleasure of working from home on a pretty lax schedule, with far better pay.

In terms of finding jobs, I don't have a ton of advice besides the law of large numbers. The job market is still terrible, even if you have a degree and relevant experience. Unless you're experienced in a very specialized field, you don't want to fuck yourself over by narrowing down your options too much. Unfortunately, this tends to mean just getting your resume infront of as many companies as you can and hoping something sticks.

In regards to picking a field of work, sometimes you have to ask yourself whether money or your happiness is your current priority. It's a shitty thing to think about, but sometimes you gotta suck it up and hate life to get your finances right. I did it for a few years and wish I didn't have to, but it paid off in the long run. If money isn't as big of an issue or concern, then look for something you like/don't hate that allows you to live your life.

The debt from that made the me join the army.

I went through a brief phase of wanting to do that career before bureaucracy and nonsense burned me out.

Now I'm looking at going to school again.

Art school, Navy, I was literally seconds from reenlisting and said no.

tired to go back to school, but... yeah

billy-madison-2.jpg

Thinking about taking the rest of my GI bill and getting certified in sanitary welding. Big demand here with all the dairys and milk/cheese plants. Plus I could make all my own stainless steel brewing equipment.

i read the first 2 posts and this thread bummed me out. waking up every day and getting paid to be told to do something you don't want to do, then doing it, is apart of life. i used to loathe my job for the same reasons it seems, but i think its alright because my job isn't my life. i clock out and do what i want most the time.

improving isn't a bad thing but getting a job that seems like failed security guards get just to sit around seems.... different. you can always look for a better job while you still have a pay check coming. then you can let the interviewer know your not motivated because your under utilized and maybe they can throw you a bone.

i'm talkin about these guys double teaming you.

TheBobs1.png

shai: i hear the area around uc berkely's a gold mine right before school gets out for the summer. rich kids tossing flat screens and furniture rather than figure out how to move it. so you might want to check that out.

That was specifically what I was referring to. You get the impression that these kids think that no one has ever tried these scams before...and when you flip it right back on them, they act like you're the bad guy. That's fine...frankly, most of the crap that students have is just that- crap. After shelling out $10k a semester, they usually aren't going to invest in top of the line stuff...I have heard of some come-ups, but they're almost always from hitting the co-op dumpsters.

I've only been faced with this situation once, and I'm not entirely sure it was a student but it was the right time of year and they fit the profile. My friends didn't even bat an eye, they just started grabbing various electronics and heading for the door. That sorted things out real quick.

99% of the time the reason students call them to do cleanouts is because they were too busy fucking off after finals to handle their shit...so they'll stall it out till the very last day before they need to be out (or the day before that) and will be in a panic because a) they don't have access to a car and b) they just suck at life so it seems like some insurmountable thing, and they think that they won't get the deposit back unless they get all their shit out. Little do they know that "deposit" really means "bribe" so when they say things like "I need you guys to be really careful, I want to get the deposit back" we just look at each other and smile...I won't fuck things up if I can help it, but shit happens when you have things like corners and blind staircases to navigate.

If you live in a college town. a really good hustle is to fix up dorms and student apartments over the summer so they'll be ready for the following semester. I know a bunch of punks that do this...if you can get a crew together that knows how to paint, do basic carpentry/repairs, and seem semi-competent it's easy to bid on jobs like this...some of my friends make enough to travel the other nine months out of the year doing this.

I work in a call centre, no sales or any shit like that, nor a big company fucking people over, I would much rather do this over retail (even if a cool shop etc) because retail wages suck and mine arent too bad, plus it is walking distance from my house and the hours suit me perfectly for having my son.

I rarely get people on the phone shouting at me, but even if i do i don't let them give me shit because they are always fucking wrong.

Could easily just sit there stoned all day answering calls and sketching, no real stress.

I would say though if I hadnt fucked around so much in my teens and twenties and had actually stuck with college and then uni things would probably be different, but even when I was younger I had no idea what I wanted to be, still don't.

i like my job. which sucks because i don't work enough hours to make ANY money. so i basically have to quit and do something shitty and then hope to get rehired when they can afford to pay me full time. bullshit. i would like to go back to school, but then i'll be insanely in debt and i can't afford that.

is anyone in the manufacturing field? i heard there's so many jobs need to be filled that it's worth it to go to some small school just to get placed. but i guess that all depends on where you are. i don't know. i need something fast. FUCK BEING BROKE FOR YEARS. FUCK IT I SAY!!

stealth1.jpg

i miss my old job with a salary and a large format printer and horror movies all day.

fuck.

^^^I traveled up that ladder^^^

I've been at my current company for over 10 years now. I first stated kidless, felony down, useless urine.

I got lucky and found a family owned private company that was hiring. Ten buck an hours, deal!

My first job was in 92, fast food $4.10 a hour.

Working hard, keeping ahead of the curve, I'm now rocking $50k a year, 30hrs at most.

It wasn't a career I expected to end up with but I embraced it /nh. I ended up going back to school 13 years after getting my diploma, with the assistance of my company scholarship fund (40/60 split). I didnt do it to advance my position but more to have a low hanging fruit when I force my daughter (born while Making $12.00 an hrs) to continue her education rather then work.

^^stuff poor people do, or fucked up parent logic^^ (we need you to help with the bill)

I understand that most think a degree is worthless nowadays, imagine us back in the mid 90's thinking the same thing. Now I can truly state that it matters.

Unless you are as fortunate as I was to get my foot in the door, prove my potential, execute and have the consideration and backing of a wise family owned business practice. I would be in the same BOATS & HOES. <-- no connection just thought it flowed well.

No web slinging here, just how I got to where I'm at on my own no easy picking.

Imagine me pushing a application with a 3page background check. No work for me!

currently working as a minimum wage slave at a local supermarket. shit sucks yo, i work like 7 or 8 days in a row, and at about 8 hours at a time. its not all bad though, i like the fact that its in walking distance from my place and im getting mad hours so im getting paid. the last job i was at i was lucky to get 20 hours a week and i had to jump through soo many hoops to get their with the schedule i was on. i had to basically either call a cab which would cost me 25 bucks a night, or i would have to catch the last train out and then spend like 3 or 4 hours in the cold waiting for my shift to start. i wasn't getting paid enough for the amount of trouble i had to go through to get there. i do miss my coworkers though, they had a good weed hook up haha. half the crew was blazed the whole time they were there.

i want to go back to school and do something with art, but i feel like its too competative of a field to get into and i don't have alot of confidence in myself at the moment. im kinda leaning towards joining job corps and doing either welding or auto mechanics and work either construction or for the railroad industry. atleast for a while. but im like, if i wait on going to school for the art stuff im never gonna do it..so its causing me to kinda be stagnant and not really do anything with my life right now.

anyone here have any experience with either art school for like graphic design or with welding? should i just go for that shit or wait on it?

Avoid Art School.

Graphic design?! Unless you are ungodly talented, like not from this planet excellent... forget about it.

Art is a hobby, do it on the side.

I have grad and undergrad degrees in studio art & visual communications. I use neither.

I wanted to cartoon, and smoke week, and do rape letterz everyday for life.

Not that I am a failure.

I started in illustration, but graphic design paid more so I switched up.

Web design (Basic HTML & Photoshop) paid more than Graphic design, so I switched up.

Optimizing websites for search paid more than designing them, so I switched up.

Advanced coding pays extremely well, but that shit bores me, so I avoided it.

Optimizing campaigns for paid search pays very well, but that shit bores me too, so I avoided it.

Marketing strategy pays more than SEO, so I switched up.

All of the above can be done from the comfort of home, or in an office; I've done both but prefer an office. The office isn't bad because agencies are fun to work at. Suit up one day, jeans most others. Nerf guns & liquid lunches like champions. Paid travel.

There is no real degree to do what I do, it was just becoming a jack of all trades that built my expertise. A good resume (or list of solid clients) and knowing the right people is all you need, I've never really interviewed for a job that I didn't already have in the bag. I've gotten lucky to fall ass backwards into the perfect job for me.

Networking is better than school erryday - SO BE NICE TO PEOPLE!

Geek out and code websites, you'll make more money an hour than most do in a day.

I contract coding work out at $60-200/hr depending on the skill level. So like I said, learn LAMP 'cause I don't want to.

YOU CAN TEACH YOURSELF HOW DO IT for the price of a couple books (that you can buy used.)

I feel like Damon in that MIT movie, I wasted a ton on college, when everything I do today I taught myself from reading a few dozen books.

• Like 1

Art school is great if you're young and rich...talent is optional, they'll teach you how to fake it. As far as getting anything worthwhile or meaningful out of it....unless you like art history and debt, not really.

Out of all my friends with art degrees about four of them are successful at anything remotely connected to what they went to art school to break into.

Since I didn't go to college I don't have any advice as far as school besides "be picky about where you go and what your focus will be when you get there."

art degree? *fart noise*

be a Cable guy like me :) sales, not install. sales make more money and i like it better.

im a lazy fuck. when I was selling I worked about 4 hours a day and pulled a decent living. being a cable guy has its perks too, if I was single.

i made a game of it. if I didn't get them to buy cable, I at least tried to get whatever I could off them (drinks/snacks/smokes). my truck has never seen so many empty water bottles.

I was promoted to hiring manager/recruiter at my job. now I make money off the efforts of others and browse reddit most of my day.

I had sex in the library AT art school so I win (I totally forgot about till I was reminded recently... Because: GOSSIP. My parents let me leave private girls school to finish secondary school at a co-ed senior school that focused on the arts. Silly parents!)

Career wise I was super lucky to get in when and where I did. Working in a creative industry but doing development type stuff (numbers based, mainly)..

After a good career stint have returned to art school (no library sex because: yuck)... My degree, along with years of industry experience on the numbers side of the game should, if I work really fucking hard at it, get me a fucking great job. Still undecided if I can be bothered running my own business, but will have all skills to do so.

Yay me.

Art school sucks. Go earn some money.

College is essentially a joke unless you go to grad school or beyond that. A bachelors counts for essentially nothing at this point in time since most people have them. You might be able to get a job at trader joes with that unless you picked the right field. And odds are that field is gonna crash in a few years anyway. Forget art school and shit like that look for something that people are always going to need.

Shai anyone BMXs you come across... HOLLA...!!!

The only bikes we seem to come across are garbage. I know bikes, every now and then I'll see something that isn't total crap but more often than not it's spoken for.

The Bay is a really tough bike market...everything worth having has been acquired by bike nerds who won't sell it for less than 300% of what it's actually worth. I stopped trying to buy stuff some time ago, I'm tired of haggling with new jacks at swaps who says shit like "I've been doing this for three years, I KNOW what I'm talking about." Cool...then you can keep your overpriced museum of junk, Beavis.