Montego Bay Mon

!@#$%

Last January I went to Jamaica.

cool island. i liked it more than Aruba and the Bahamas, maybe about as much as Curacao.

view from the top floor of our apartment rental

IMG_5473_zpsb6f0411e.jpg

the following two beaches you have to pay 5 bucks to get into for the day, but that means the crowd isn't horrible as long as you aren't unlucky enough to be there when a cruise ship or three docks.

one of the beaches across the street

IMG_5402_zpsee829b83.jpg

Doctor's Cave Beach, also across the street

these beaches have attendants and waitresses, and the refreshments were actually pretty reasonable.

IMG_5303_zps6d411dd1.jpg

IMG_5326_zps9b55227b.jpg

and the beach down the road. public and free

IMG_5256_zps9975a555.jpg

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I prefer MoBay in cruise ship doses. I wanna try an all inclusive resort though. I usually hit Jimmy Buffets and then the parking lot for thrills. Would be nice to actually have time to go to Negril and cliff dive.

Did you get a chance to go anywhere on the island? More pics to come?

so i took a friend who had never left the country on this trip

i made it very short in case she hated it and in case we don't travel well together

turns out we do not travel well together at all.

if i went back to Jamaica I would get a car.

first of all, stay away from Kingston. just don't do it.. it's a pretty hardcore breed of thug down that way. but yes, they do have a city that you don't want to see.

you are kinda stuck in MoBay without a vehicle and the fun jungle stuff is way far. (it's closer to Negril, which is on the more underdeveloped side and about 3 hours from the MoBay airport)

in MoBay you can get a kayak rental and scuba and stuff..

but if you are into that Curacao might be a better choice simply because they have a lot of reefs close to shore so even snorkeling is amazing there. it's also one of the only places i've actually witnessed people night-scuba'ing or whatever it's called.

so back in Jamaica..

there are some cool tours of Blue Mountain Coffee Plantations, and yes there are standard island jungle activities available, like waterfalls and mountain hikes, but we did not do that for one major reason: my travel companion is a complete moron and brought $60 for our 3 day trip. i guess she thought when i said I traveled on a budget it meant 'don't bring any money'

then after one hour she'd spent most of her cash on coffee and alcohol, and of course had very little leftover...which she lost on the second day.

ANYWAY.

Costa Rica was a MUCH better 'destination' if you want to do a bunch of stuff.

i spent a week there and drove from the Carribbean to the Pacific and saw a cloud forest, a city, a volcano, a jungle and a bunch of beaches and people on the way.

Carribbean Islands tend to have specialties, and while Jamaica had much more for me to do than Aruba, which is basically an adult playground, to me it was kinda just another Island.

if you want to do all-inclusive, look into the Domican Republic. It is a gorgeous island and dominated by all-inclusives in the most picturesque areas, like Punta Cana

It's close to the US, fucking spectacularly gorgeous, and not as expensive as a fancier island like Barbados

i could post more pics.. but not much more to see so prolly only a few comin.

In the pic with the inflatable climbing thing in the water, is that a net around it for safe swimming? And if so, what is there in the water that necessitates a net, sharks, stingers, crocs?

Your travel companion sounds like a tool. I have a similar story. My friend bought my then 8 year old god son over to China to visit me - he only bought one pair of flip flops/thongs with him and forgot his wallet. China, 8 year old kid, no money and flip flops. Seriously, some people should just stay home and watch sport.....

jamaica is the jam. i went as a teenager with my from jamaica stepfather. my experience was the real jamaica. in the fucking hood of kingston with an original gangster from said hood. definitely not the kind of experience for everybody. but i had a fucking blast and would love to return someday. too bad you didn't get to see dunns river falls. that shit was incredible.

Noem, luckily i saw Iguazu Falls last year. no waterfall will touch that other than maybe victoria or angels. it would have been nice to see more of the island though for sure.

walid yes. some people should just stay home. i've bene a lot of places so i thought buying her a passport and planning a jamaica vacay was opening a door. turns out i was slamming one shut. i got back from that trip and we haven't spoken since.

so that wasn't a net, it's just a bunch of tiny buoy things on a line to show where it gets a bit deep.

that climbing thing looked fun but i'm a bitch about the cold and the water was a little too chilly for me to go all the way out

there wasn't anything dangerous in the water.

My friend bought my then 8 year old god son over to China to visit me - he only bought one pair of flip flops/thongs with him and forgot his wallet. China, 8 year old kid, no money and flip flops. Seriously, some people should just stay home and watch sport.....

How did he buy your god son and 1 peear flip flops with no Yuan....I call bullshit.

Where the train pics symbols?

Cool that Bounty Kiilah sold you some smoke tho.

• Like 1

so i took a friend who had never left the country on this trip

i made it very short in case she hated it and in case we don't travel well together

turns out we do not travel well together at all.

if i went back to Jamaica I would get a car.

first of all, stay away from Kingston. just don't do it.. it's a pretty hardcore breed of thug down that way. but yes, they do have a city that you don't want to see.

you are kinda stuck in MoBay without a vehicle and the fun jungle stuff is way far. (it's closer to Negril, which is on the more underdeveloped side and about 3 hours from the MoBay airport)

in MoBay you can get a kayak rental and scuba and stuff..

but if you are into that Curacao might be a better choice simply because they have a lot of reefs close to shore so even snorkeling is amazing there. it's also one of the only places i've actually witnessed people night-scuba'ing or whatever it's called.

so back in Jamaica..

there are some cool tours of Blue Mountain Coffee Plantations, and yes there are standard island jungle activities available, like waterfalls and mountain hikes, but we did not do that for one major reason: my travel companion is a complete moron and brought $60 for our 3 day trip. i guess she thought when i said I traveled on a budget it meant 'don't bring any money'

then after one hour she'd spent most of her cash on coffee and alcohol, and of course had very little leftover...which she lost on the second day.

ANYWAY.

Costa Rica was a MUCH better 'destination' if you want to do a bunch of stuff.

i spent a week there and drove from the Carribbean to the Pacific and saw a cloud forest, a city, a volcano, a jungle and a bunch of beaches and people on the way.

Carribbean Islands tend to have specialties, and while Jamaica had much more for me to do than Aruba, which is basically an adult playground, to me it was kinda just another Island.

if you want to do all-inclusive, look into the Domican Republic. It is a gorgeous island and dominated by all-inclusives in the most picturesque areas, like Punta Cana

It's close to the US, fucking spectacularly gorgeous, and not as expensive as a fancier island like Barbados

i could post more pics.. but not much more to see so prolly only a few comin.

Next time....go to Negril...way cheaper....way more low key...not nearly as many stupid corn ball American tourists...doesn't smell like car fumes like Mo Bay does. I've stayed there 4 times now....fuck Mo Bay

• Like 1

Sounds pretty terrible, but I also hate the beach, so...there's that.

Traveling with friends is one of those things that potentially causes me to hate people who I otherwise get along great with. I'm to the point where I don't think I would even consider traveling with anyone other than my father or solo on any sort of significant trip (either from a time or money standpoint), because I feel like everyone else I travel with has completely different expectations/plans/money issues/etc.

chups i'm there with you.

i'll never do that again.

my man and i travel really well together, i'm lucky. he knows though, he's lucky to be able to travel with such a low-maintenance gal as myself.

hmm.. hating the beach. hard to even imagine, i love nature so i'm good in almost any weather or climate

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...