Yet another fuck the police thread

Illuminati

http://www.thenation.com/blog/171645/anger-rises-cleveland-after-police-fire-137-shots-unarmed-couple

A public forum exploded in Cleveland last night as controversy continues following a shocking police shooting barrage a few days ago that has been likened to the final bloody scene of the movie Bonnie and Clyde. It’s gained little national attention, for some reason.

A car chase that started in Cleveland ended a few minutes later with thirteen local cops firing a total of 137 bullets into a car killing a man and a woman inside. They each were struck by more than two dozen bullets. Police claimed it all started with shots, or a shot, fired from the car at police, but no weapons or shell casings were discovered in the car.

Also: the two dead are black and twelve of the thirteen cops are white and the other Hispanic. They have been put on temporary leave but the department firmly defends the shooting—pointing out the dead pair had criminal records, while admitting no weapon was found.

Naturally, friends and family of the deceased and community members are outraged and the NAACP is drafting a letter calling for a Justice Department probe.

At last night’s public forum, the city’s mayor and two other top offiicals endured repeated cries of “Murder!” Attendees pointed to a pattern of race-tinged police actions. Before the meeting ended, the audience counted to 137, the number of shots fired. The mayor, Frank Jackson, said he, too, wanted to know why thirty police cars joined the chase and he pleaded for patience.

See earlier Plain Dealer story here raising all sorts of questions. More updates and reports on the public forum here and here. Local “gadfly” Roldo Bartimole’s commentary.

Short version

cops get told to no longer peruse vehicle, shoot 2 unarmed men 137 times claiming that they were fired on first but no weapon is found

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it amazes me that the tea party movement and gun nuts and those sortsa people always seem to also love the police and the military. confounding. it blows but for whatever reason [prolly racial] there is zero political will for independent police oversight. it's so goddamn dumb. i'll never forget being in new zealand and hearing about a police shooting on tv, and all the administrative shit that came after.. a never-ending stream of committees and investigations. yet this is part of normal life in america. the police in my city kill at least a dozen people every year.

48 out of 137? who the fuck taught these dipshits to shoot?

yeah dude.

~35% hit rate. this is assuming those 48 were in the head neck and torso, not arms or legs.

there is no fog and friction in this one, probably a backfiring car a block away.

besides the asshole racist cop element, how do you sleep at night knowing you can't shoot but carry a gun to work?

yeah dude.

~35% hit rate. this is assuming those 48 were in the head neck and torso, not arms or legs.

there is no fog and friction in this one, probably a backfiring car a block away.

besides the asshole racist cop element, how do you sleep at night knowing you can't shoot but carry a gun to work?

Must spread rep, still.

This is an unacceptable hit ratio.

@ symbols: Every pro gun person I know, or have ever met for that matter, is wary of the police, myself included. If for no other reason than they can charge you with whatever they feel and the jury will buy off on it 98% of the time.

Must spread rep, still.

This is an unacceptable hit ratio.

@ symbols: Every pro gun person I know, or have ever met for that matter, is wary of the police, myself included. If for no other reason than they can charge you with whatever they feel and the jury will buy off on it 98% of the time.

we know way different gun people.

bigdoughnut my city only has a few hundred thousand in it. so that's a pretty high murder rate for the cops.

and as for the accuracy, has everyone forgotten about the NYC shooting where they nailed all the bystanders? that shit just happened.

i know from dog advocacy that the police in our nation constantly kill family dogs as well.

they obviously have no training and no brains.

cops are public servants. When did it become accepted to murder whom they are paid to serve. Around here cops give up on car chases because they endanger the lives of everyone around the speeding vehicles / scene.

If a cop even discharges a round there i an investigation launched, it is a biased investigation and the RCMP are a crooked government armed force, but that's another issue.

cops don't go to heaven.

only hit them 48 times cause they use 9's and for the first 4 clips they were bouncing rounds off the wind shield. cops in cleveland have a whole lot of problems for years. when i was a kid they were finding all sorts of nazi and kkk graffiti all over the police station. and police brutality cases were running rampant. if these dudes were real though they would have been like nyc cops and only had 8 dudes shoot them 300 times.

I second this. People tend to carry guns because the police can't do their job correctly, so they decide to take their safety in their own hands.

Also, I think the reason why most cops can't hit shit is partly due to the trigger pull on their guns. I remember reading something about that when the shooting at the empire state building happened, and the only casualties were bystanders that the police accidentally shot, or something like that.

edit: also because cops are humongous turd burglars.

double edit: someone beat me to the nyc thing.

trigger pull and blaming the weapon??!...

bullshit bullshit bullshit. most basic training privates know better than that.

i love my glock 22, which is pretty much the standard LE weapon across the states.

maybe maybe maybe if something had a super long trigger pull (which glocks don't) they could make an argument for time and accuracy. or they could just commit some of their own time to shooting more, getting comfortable with the weapon they carry "to protect and serve" the people with, or they could fucking quit their jobs that require shooting competency, or use any of the several less-lethal options in their belt.

If you can't shoot with one particular weapon (esp one as easy to shoot as a glock22) you can't shoot and you're making excuses.

fact is that weapons training and weapons qual within LE is not as stringent as it ought to be, and it is not taken as seriously by individual cops as it should be.

So the cops were told to call off the pursuit of the vehicle but they still went after it. Cleveland and Ohio in general are known to be really bad when it comes to racist cops, look at what happened with cinnci a few years ago and the list of growing cases of police sanctioned murder in ohio.

The thing that amazes me the most about this is that the growing problem of police sanctioned murder isn't more publicized, and that people can honestly think that this was anything but murder.

it sounds to me like when the first officer started shooting they were all like "oh shit we should fire back" and really weren't giving much thought as to aiming, which in this case wasn't at all really necessary as they were a dozen people firing at two in a parked car, it was inevitable that some rounds would hit their target.

"well yes it does require aiming, what about innocent civilians!?!?!?!" says some random fucktard

they'll get a couple weeks of paid suspension, then be reassigned to a shitty desk job for about a month or so or however long it takes the public to forget about that shit and then put them back on the streets because fuck you thats why. what are you going to do about it? call the cops? lolololol.

• Like 1

we know way different gun people.

bigdoughnut my city only has a few hundred thousand in it. so that's a pretty high murder rate for the cops.

you live in louisiana. or a state in that general region.

texas/louisiana that whole 3rd coast is pretty much rampant with cops who do not give a fuck about your whole existance and are basically (in their mind atleast) lawmen from the 1880's. the same basic gunslinger mentality down there. hang em high an shit.

The thing that amazes me the most about this is that the growing problem of police sanctioned murder isn't more publicized, and that people can honestly think that this was anything but murder.

agreed, and every single time i hear about another family pet executed for no reason, i think the same damn thing

i've shot enough glocks to know they aren't that damn sensitive.

If you can't shoot with one particular weapon (esp one as easy to shoot as a glock22) you can't shoot and you're making excuses.

fact is that weapons training and weapons qual within LE is not as stringent as it ought to be, and it is not taken as seriously by individual cops as it should be.

This is the fucking truth. I had to deal with this when the base CO let the local fuzz use our range on base to do annual requals. All because some sort of endangered bird had nested at theirs. Shit was comical, bunch of doughy, mustached goons in bloused tan cargo pants and smedium Tshirts, talking about how we where going to get to see how "real professionals" do it. Fuckers could barely stay on the paper and had to run the course for or five times to get qualified.

trigger pull and blaming the weapon??!...

bullshit bullshit bullshit. most basic training privates know better than that.

i love my glock 22, which is pretty much the standard LE weapon across the states.

maybe maybe maybe if something had a super long trigger pull (which glocks don't) they could make an argument for time and accuracy. or they could just commit some of their own time to shooting more, getting comfortable with the weapon they carry "to protect and serve" the people with, or they could fucking quit their jobs that require shooting competency, or use any of the several less-lethal options in their belt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for the police. Ever.

But in NYC, I don't know about elsewhere, they don't have standard trigger pulls on their hand guns. They have a 12lb pull, as opposed to the 3.5lb pull on the standard glock 22.

Here's an article talking about their Kahr k-9 handgun, and about how the company has tried for 3 years to manufacture it with NYPD requested 13lb trigger pull, and about how its fucking impossible to hit anything with this pull, and that the police should just be trained better.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2012/02/16/the-nypd-and-the-kahr-k-9-no-substitute-for-training/

Only linking this to show that they do in fact have harder trigger pulls, at least in NYC.

Edit: It seems like they wouldn't be able to fill their ranks if they had stricter accuracy requirements, and they got tired of their cops accidentally shooting themselves, so they decided to blame the gun and put stronger pulls on them. So that the cops don't shoot them selves (which apparently happens a lot?) and when they have to shoot someone, they don't hit them.

@acer: i knew you weren't making excuses for them.

interesting editorial.

i found a couple more related after reading that one. i don't know if i've shot a 12# trigger before, from what i'm reading they are indeed difficult to control.

and while it falls as moronic skirting of the real problem by the NYPD, it also falls on the individual cops who insist on plowing through a full mag as fast as they can KNOWING they can't hit shit.

the only shot that matters is this ONE

NOT

the only shot that matters are these FIFTEEN

phew.

that wasn't the original article I read, but the one I did read first was definitely standing up for the cops and saying it wasn't their fault.

while this all is pretty fucked up, I'd rather go to bed at night knowing the police in my city can't hit shit, than knowing they are all dead on accurate... considering the police's general trigger happy attitude.

an interesting thought, does the regulation regarding trigger pull apply to personal guns also? I don't know about big cities, but I do know police down south are allowed to purchase their own gun for carry on the clock. But then again, I assume any cop who cares enough to buy their own, would care enough to shoot it frequently in their off time...