Stick And Poke

blood fart

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a19919c83cf411e2a73f22000a9e28ad_7.jpg

First we do this.

3 dozen biscuits from scratch.

10lbs of mashed potatoes.

5 lbs of secret recipe mac n cheese

a gallon of my famous cream gravy

5lbs of green beans

4 dozen cupcakes 1/2chocolate 1/2red velvet

we stay fat in the souf

e50efba63d0c11e2a5cd22000a1fb0b0_7.jpg

I did this.

On my boyfriend's sponsor.

RIP KIDS 4DC.

I also did that PMA on my thumb.

3bff241c3d3b11e28d2722000a1f8fa0_7.jpg

33b3ef623d1411e2b55e22000a9f09fb_7.jpg

This.

I forgot to take pics last night.

More things happened.

• Like 1

ugh.

was waiting for one of these threads.

keep GRAFFITIS off the internet.

GRAFFITI IS meant for bridge spots, TRAINs and lazy summer NIGHTs.

not popularity on HIPSTER websites.

*fixed.

its too late for that shit dawg. At this point anything that should have been left off the webs is all over tumblr reddit or whatever else. at least here we have someone whose been on the oontz for ever and "knows" the community.

No, I'm interested in stick and poke tattoos. My left hand is 3/4 covered, I've got a few on my legs, and I've put quite a few of them on friends.

This feeling is the same feeling I got when Vice decided to post a video about how to ride DPU's.

Not EVERYTHING is "on" the internet, and in my opinion, some things should be left a psuedo mystery.

But then again, that's my opinion. Just like almost every other post in ch0 is an opinion. If nobody spoke their opinion this would just be a site with pictures.

Everything is on the internet.

i couldnt agree more that some things should be left a mystery. i love graffiti. will i deny for a second that it's accessible and thrust into the limelight? no. did i love that graffiti was once secretive? yes. you know how you can buck the trend? be secretive about things you care about. it's 2012 and everyone can find out everything about everything. you know how tattoos are so trendy now? yeah. how weed nerds are everywhere now? yeah. how "indie" music is a multi-billion dollar genre? yeah.

hold important stuff close to you and dont give it out unless its to people who have earned it. who give a fuck.

for me, i knew a kid that i used to work with who wanted to get into graffiti, in a corny artschool way.

he saw me drawing one day on break and asked if i liked graffiti, to which i said "nope" and kept drawing.

he asked me what i was writing, and i said "don't worry about it."

he asked me to do his name, and i said "go do your own name, show it to me"

he showed it to me and it sucked. "This sucks" i said. "Make these letters better."

he did and i said "what did you do to make these letters better?" to which he said "i copied some from the internet." i told him to draw it again.

he did and came back and it was still bitten but a little less so. and a little better.

etc etc ...

till one day he turned to me and said "im tired of writing my name and wanna do stencils" to which i said "have fun." he doesnt talk to me much anymore. he didn't care, so i didn't give him anything. it's that easy. there is now one more waste-of-life street artist out there making street art and one less person claiming to represent this thing that i care about and hold close.

you can lament the death and popularity of something you love or you can defend and strengthen it.

BF saying that she does stick 'n' pokes only for friends (and has a long waiting list that she couldnt care less about) is a terrific example of what im talking about.

she has a skill, that she shares, cause it's fun and kinda cool. she shares it with people she cares about who aren't randoms and squares and assholes.

maybe someone will see one of hers some day and ask about the "artist" to which the owner of the tattoo will probably say "my friend did it" instead of "aww man i had it done at this place ____."

this is awesome and something worth a lot of value to those who she's chosen to share her tattoos with. yo random people, you can't be in the fuckin' club! deal with it.

The whole thing is based around the few of us that share "WHAT WE DO IS SECRET" tattoos.

We like to have a big Sunday dinner with close friends.

One night I mentioned I wanted to do a stick and poke.

It turned into a thing that we now do on a regular basis.

To get involved/invited...you have to either have a WHAT WE DO IS SECRET tattoo..or get invited by someone who does.

It's the Germs burn of dinner parties.

I have a particular method that I use.

It is more than just dipping a needle into ink.

There is some technique that I have picked up over the years.

And somewhat mastered.

Whatever.

It's funny to us because now people know when we talk about WHAT WE DO IS SECRET, there is no secret to what we are doing.

This is something that I have been doing for 20 years, so there is no mystique to it for me.

It's part of how I grew up and something that I enjoy.

It's a bonding thing.

Although basically every tattoo I have was done by a friend, this is different.

I will not let just anyone give me a stick and poke, nor will I give just anyone one.

It is a time consuming thing and a very personal thing for me.

Take it or leave it.

There are no secrets anymore.

Yes I understand the whole "hold important stuff close to you and don't give it out" part of it all. When people ask me about how to hop freights I tell them it's simply a matter of finding the ticket booth and having them point you to an empty car. I also understand that no matter what, over time, it will become less and less of a secret. One day Vice may manage to write a somewhat decent article about riding freights, and not drop partial information that's just enough to get retard hipsters killed.

What I don't get is why you'd want to speed up this process of exposure, if you hold whatever it is dear. Surely enough, whatever it is you hold dear changes during this process. Chances are, you aren't going to like what its become, or at the very least you'll hold the "old days" with high regard.

In the information age, there are increasingly few secrets in this world. This is part of the reason why I hold riding freights so close to my heart. Riding freights has managed to be a mystery since the end of the great depression, so much so, that most people think riding ended at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare riding freights with stick and pokes. There are certain differences between riding and other sub cultures that I believe fortify the mystery. Because of this decline in unexposed sub cultures, a little part of me dies inside when I see masses of formerly ignorant people being enlightened. I already have enough people asking me about my stick and pokes, but I'd certainly rather have people think they are just pen doodles than ask me if I did them my self/what ink I used/etc etc.

Hence my first comment.

Vice did an article on stick n pokes years ago.

It was bogus.

But I get what you are saying.

When I rode trains, there would be no way that I would share what I knew with just any runaway kid that asked.

My crew change was sacred.

With that said, I learned a lot through friends just as I shared what I knew with friends.

I only can post about what I know and what I am living.

This is cool to me.

I seriously doubt anyone on this site is discovering hand poked tattoos for the first time ever via this thread.

It just seems like one of those teenage rite of passage things that everyone does or at least knows about.