thinking about a dog

abcs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pits are awesome

i know from fostering them

same. Pitts get a real bad rap because of shitty people and what they do to them. But by nature pitts are the sweetest dogs. I'd love to get one. my neighbor rescued a pitt and my dad would say how that makes him nervous. dude is not a dog person, and believes the hype. Meanwhile the dog was the most calm and loving dog ever. some pitts are rough, but it's because of what they've been through, not by breed. viva pitts!

i'd like to see peer-reviewed research that is proof then, because research shows that pits are not the most aggressive dogs, by a long shot.

Aren't Pit Bulls MEAN and VICIOUS?

No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In yearly tests of over 240 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), pit bulls consistently achieve a passing rate that's as good or better than the other most popular breeds. How did your favorite breed do? http://www.ATTS.org

As of December 2007, American Pit Bull Terriers had a pass rate of 84.3 percent compared to a pass rate for all breeds tested of 81.6 percent.

pit-bull-facts-myths.jpg

fuck a stereotype,

with references.

buoy.

I did include Labradore, which often is left off the list.

I have a rednose breeder over the road from me, so I don't have a fancy long image to pull from the internet (which basically says, yes, they are nasty in the wrong hands, and those aren't references, they are opinions - looks like the 'Daily Growl') but I have had well and truly enough experience with rednose's to have my say.

It's more which breed, under the wrong care, has the capacity to do major harm.

Despite having a lower score on some test I would much rather have a problem with the Chihuahua in the chart over the Pit any day of the week.

There are some pits that should be put down because of the threat they pose. I have met one, she tried to kill my dog, killed another dog on the street when she got away from her owner and killed a cat as well. I do not trust her around my child and the dog is no longer welcome at any family gathering cause she freaks everyone out. Her current owners are not abusive, they just do not have control over her, they have owned other pits in the past. One of which was one of the most noble dogs I have ever met.

I think to request peer reviewed studies and then put forth that power point slide in the same post is disingenuous.

Now I am no expert, but from what I can tell taking on a Pit rescue dog is not a good way to test the waters on dog ownership.

The OP is a full time student living in a house with a elderly man who has dementia. He is studying a field which if he lands a job in will likely require long hours away from home and may not have the time to devote to proper training.

• Like 1

what i don't understand about pit advocates is why they are particularly passionate about that breed? is it a contrarian/devil's advocate thing?

i understand pits are on a list of 'bad dogs' that had rotts, dobermans, chows, and shepherds on it before they took the spotlight. and saving dogs from being put down is noble and i admire those that go out of their way to do so. but there are thousands of breeds to choose from that need saving just as much and aren't a threat.

saying a beagle and a pit are equally aggressive is not an argument. 30 pounds vs 90+ pounds of aggression aren't comparable concerns. i don't think the aggression is the sole concern, its the ability to do something with that aggression.

jack russels catch flack for being cat killers too, but they can't kill a child or an old lady.

all i see coming from pit specific advocacy is more backyard/basement breeders pushing out more bad-lines of these dogs for you guys to defend.

all that said, i've only met a few pits that i didn't like, and the root of the problem isn't necessarily with pits, but with americans not taking bob barker's advice and letting their pets run free.

I think to request peer reviewed studies and then put forth that power point slide in the same post is disingenuous.

Now I am no expert, but from what I can tell taking on a Pit rescue dog is not a good way to test the waters on dog ownership.

does anyone even read?

it's not a powerpoint slide, it's an infographic

and the thing has a massive list of references at the bottom, and that shit wasn't pulled out of thin air, i just didn't go back through and link to each reference.

theprotester, even in his second post, is strictly speaking from anecdotes, not even one single site or article or anything was listed, just an opinion.

my post was a response to his postulations about pits, not a suggestion for abc to run out and get one

if you read my posts, you can see i never advocated for that.. at worst maybe suggested trying to foster one.

an idiot girl i know got a pit as her first dog ever, living alone.

worked out well, and neither of them are dead, several years in.

so there is your anecdote if that's what you wanted.

as for what fist said, i respond to the ignorance

the internet didn't exist for rotties or dobermans or whatever scapegoat there used to be so i don't fight for them because the stereotype isn't as bad.

pitts are also subjected to BSL and are killed at a much higher rate than other dogs

maybe you like that. i do not, and thus i stick up for them. it's the same shit as racism as far as i can tell.

I can read. Yes. You seem to have somehow misconstrued my reply.

It is obviously a far more prevalent stereotype in America than it is where I am. Like I said, I'm not going to go off and Google for an image with the opposite bias, because I'm not disagreeing with you.

I stand by what I said, in the wrong hands, side by side, a Pit/Lab/Shepherd/Rott/Ridgey.etc, are simply by their size and muscle make up, also their teeth structure, going to be more dangerous than a Poodle/Beagle/Shitzu, etc. After seeing a Rednose take down a 'Roo - that freaked me out a bit, but it's just natures course, if a dog is big enough and strong enough to kill a Kangaroo for food, it will - IN THE WRONG HANDS.

On such a contentious subject I am sure a good body of work can be easily pulled from the internet to back up either side of the debate. For the purposes of communication on a forum I am much more interested in what people have to say about their own experience and evaluation than I am in data.

From the wikepedia page on pits:

These actions range from outright bans on the possession of pit bull-type dogs to restrictions and conditions on pit bull ownership, and often establish a legal presumption that a pit bull-type dog is prima facie a legally "dangerous" or "vicious" dog.[63]

To my mind a ban is wrong but I do not think that owners being held to the presumption that their dog is dangerous is completely out of line. My line of thinking is that if a person wants to be any kind of dog owner they need to be prepared to do it right and take responsibility for their dogs health and welfare and that of other people and animals as well. With some breeds such as pits I think that means going the extra mile to train your dog and being willing to put the dog down on your own should you be unable to train it yourself or find someone who can.

My aunts in law's dog is a fucking time bomb and she will hear nothing of it, arguing with her is what primed me for taking up the debate here.

• 2 years later...

I saw the dog that had me all fired up about pits in this thread, 4 years later and she is pretty much a different dog all together, totally mellow. I figured I would bump the thread to acknowledge that dogs progress and recognize that it does happen even with problem animals.

• Like 1

One of my classmates adopted a pit mix at the end of April. In March he chased a deer, but gave up when it found a leashed dachsund. Killed the dachsund with a quickness. Now my classmate is on some sort of unsupervised probation for the next year because of it.

Kind of takes the feel-goods out of adopting...

One of my classmates adopted a pit mix at the end of April. In March he chased a deer, but gave up when it found a leashed dachsund. Killed the dachsund with a quickness. Now my classmate is on some sort of unsupervised probation for the next year because of it.

Kind of takes the feel-goods out of adopting...

yeah, it's a shit situation when you encounter a dog that needs professional help (or might be beyond help)

it happened with one of my fosters. i had to return her to the rescue because she would not stop trying to attack people. it was actually kinda scary. we still fostered a bunch more, but it's so much work i just adopted #3 and gave it up eventually.