Thanksgiving Soup or Thread *2012 - Unstoppable

Drue_Down

So it's that time again & I'm in my element.

I took the week off to burn PTO.

Cooking.

Feasting.

Drinking.

Drinking.

Reheating.

Drinking.

tumblr_l1zapdzf0v1qat25fo1_400.jpg

NO AUSSIES

I was gonna do something special for 10k, mainly finally digitizing my old polaroids and making a funkadelic fotothread. But I'm half lazy & half too busy for that. (perhaps around Xmas) I should hit it at some point in this thread.

I got my mom & 2 of my brothers in from Chicago, & my aunt from Napa. Plus my worthless sister from south Scottsdale.

I'm doing all the cooking, the broads in my family, including my wife, can barely microwave a hot dog.

So I'd rather just post pics of my 3-day binge of deliciousness & sloth instead.

You should too.

8207954810_b6597bca51_z.jpg

8207947420_cb0d5c36e5_z.jpg

This year round I'm cooking my cheesy potatoes a day in advance. I want them to congeal overnight then reheat them prior to eating.

I'm making three batches, all the same cheesy recipe poured over:

1. southwestern style hashbrowns

2. cubed hashbrowns w/ onions

3. regular hashbrowns

I bought a 22lb fresh turkey, and a frozen precooked smoked turkey. I'm gonna save the smoked turkey for next weekend since my brothers eat like disposals and I'd like some leftovers.

8206862317_e9b417ed36_z.jpg

I have the white castle sliders ready to rock for the white castle stuffing

8207948540_85906e3bf7_z.jpg

Both fridges are full, this is the garage fridge, mainly booze.

8207948172_69f5f27fce_z.jpg

My aunt knows the owner of this vineyard in Chile, the womenz are drinking it, I'm sticking to beer.

8207952772_aaa645d832_z.jpg

8206857653_cf54c4ab7c_z.jpg

I never get to disc golf anymore, but I did buy a practice basket for my yard a couple weeks ago. I took my brothers to a nearby course and schooled them. Good times were had.

8207947804_350a6518d6_z.jpg

Some Bocce & Baggo in the yard, then lasagna.

I gotta wake up and finish off the cooking.

Seasoning.

Juices.

Flavor injectors.

Fancy booze.

It's better than Christmas!

'merica, fuck yeah!

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8209259960_981027d8d4_z.jpg

Butter it up, then inject it with Chicken stock... Mark McGwire style.

I'll pull it out each hour to re-inject.

8208168395_194a9eb97b_z.jpg

Fresh Thyme, Rosemary & Sage... accented with some ground spices.

8209259368_ecbe652e61_z.jpg

Bag it & tag it.

8208167805_785b6af814_z.jpg

White Castle cookbook, but only one recipe is needed.

3056504806_66221d069d_z.jpg?zz=1

UNSTOPPABLE

My turkey turned out well. Brined for 12 hours in beer, apple cider vinegar, a fuckton of salts, herbs de provence, stuffed with onions, butter, mandarin. Then let it air chill, after the brine for a few hours. Then I roasted it at 325 for 3.5 hours.

I also made:

Turkey Rillete (From Gizzard)

Crab Mac n Cheese (cheddar, emmetaler, parm reg and a triple cream bri, fresh dungeness crab)

Stock (from the turkey gizzards, also used to baste turkey

Green Bean Casserole

Helped the girl make beans and buffalo for her empanadas. They were fucking amazing.

This is the only photo I got of things:

546840_612164375748_762355723_n.jpg

i didn't think enough to photograph thanksgiving dinner, mostly because it was our first time hosting at our home. Shit got pretty chaotic.

I suppose we did alright, there's no leftovers. Pretty bummed.

turkey, cheddar bacon mashed taters, stuffed jalapeños, side salad, pea soup, and ratatouille... French dish for an American holiday. Fuck it. Also made some pretty good white sangria, once the family left I polished off a bottle of whiskey and fell asleep on the table.

My turkey turned out well. Brined for 12 hours in beer, apple cider vinegar, a fuckton of salts, herbs de provence, stuffed with onions, butter, mandarin. Then let it air chill, after the brine for a few hours. Then I roasted it at 325 for 3.5 hours.

I'm curious, /nohomo.

Next year I'll stuff it w/ veggies.

kPxU4.jpg

I've always wanted to do this, I had a ton of bacon too.

However, when you cook for kids & family, you never know if they'd like this, so I passed.

I might buy a 15 lbs'r and try it on a random weekend.

I've been afraid the bacon might burn.

If I bagged it, I'd put bacon towards the bottom so it boils in the fat/juices & the bacon flavor fills the bag.

You ever play shuffleboard? I figured I'd ask since you have the bocce court set up.

I prefer table-top shuffle board, which is big in the SW. When my kids are older I plan to turn their kiddie loft into a game room with a pool table and shuffleboard table.

:lol:

But three pans of cheesetatoes and only one pan of stuffing?

How was that White Castle stuffing?? Gastric bliss or gastric piss??

I would scale back, or even refrain from using the chicken broth. It gets it soggy and mushy. (Same deal if you actually stuff it in the turkey, which I don't do.) This was my 5th year doing this; next year, no broth, I'll try to keep it fluffy. I cook stove top too for my worthless sister. Overall yes, the WC stuffing is a hit everytime.