***2013 MLB Superthread***

MrChupacabra

Hopes youk doesn't sign with the yanks. Is happy a-roid is injured again and hopes he never plays another baseball game again.

I think the sox overpaid for Napoli and johnny gomes. Toronto overpaid for melky unless they got a way for him to not get caught juicing this year. Surprised dan haren signed with washington for 1 year.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revere to the Phillies for Worley and Trevor May. I ain't mad at that one bit. Phils fans, you guys get a very fun player to watch in Revere, but he definitely has plenty of downsides in terms of his noodle arm and inability to take walks.

Edit: Still can't believe we got both Worley and May. 2013 season is almost certainly gonna be unpleasant, but 2014+ is looking brighter and brighter with our prospects and now May and Meyers. Here's to hoping the Twins sign Marcum to a 3 year deal or something to have another pretty solid guy as the young dudes start coming up.

I'm going to miss Revere, but he had a ton of value and there is a fucking logjam just waiting to happen in CF for us.

Now that he's gone, Mastrioanni, Hicks, and Benson are supposedly going to be competing in spring training for the starting CF job. Benson had it tough last year, but maybe we will see if Hicks is the real deal and/or ready to play in the bigs. If not, I'm sure we'll see him in September with the two prospects we got from Philly and Washington. But personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Mastrioanni out there.

As for Vance Worley, maybe Ralphs could weigh in on him for us.

And we also signed Burton to a two-year deal with third year option. Good on us.

And thank goodness Joe Blanton signed already. Did not want.

ferris

worley is solid, he had a killer rookie year getting shuffled in due to others injury. did so well he maintained a spot last season. he suffered some elbow issues and didnt do too well, i attribute it to the injury and not a sophmore slum. he goes by vanimal. in our already depleted farm system we let go of trevor may? makes no sense. i know we need other things more then others, but its a bad deal for the phils.

i do like revere tho, just not the deal.

mike young i think has a rebound season.

hamilton id take on a 3 year bid, not sure y he would take that seeing as it will get matched or bettered, unless he thinks he can win here and not texas and likes the idea of reuniting with some old texans here in philly. i like our moves as a whole, raj a goul has work to do yet tho... need a power bat bad, and a lefty in the pen.

josh in LA...

swisher n ross remain as power bats?

ill pass on ross, swish id take for 2 years max would prefer one.

with the market the way it is raj a goul gonna have to shift the plan to pitching

still good pitching out there

pretty much gonna have to sure up a rotation spot n two bullpen spots.

pray howard n utley r healthy n produce.

another season another gamble.

worst comes to worse grab a mercenary bat at the all star break.

• 1 month later...

Delmon Young Can Earn $600,000 In Bonus Money By Not Being A Fat Mess

Amazing.

I have next to nothing good to say about anything the Twins have or haven't done since the Revere and Span trades. Both of those were solid moves, but it's been a total fucking embarrassment since. Terry Ryan can fuck off. We need a GM who actually understands how pitching works, and TR is proving once again that he has no fucking clue.

On the bright side, I just booked tickets yesterday to go down to Florida at the start of March for 5 days. Already got tickets for two spring training games, both vs the Rays. Might catch another 1 depending on weather. Should be a lot of fun to see some of the minor league guys who will be the future of the Twins. Certainly more excited for that than the regular season, though any way you slice it, it's still baseball.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01-31/news/a-rod-and-doping-a-miami-clinic-supplies-drugs-to-sports-biggest-names/

Then check out the main column, where their real names flash like an all-star roster of professional athletes with Miami ties: San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera, Oakland A's hurler Bartolo Colón, pro tennis player Wayne Odesnik, budding Cuban superstar boxer Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Texas Rangers slugger Nelson Cruz. There's even the New York Yankees' $275 million man himself, Alex Rodriguez, who has sworn he stopped juicing a decade ago.

Read further and you'll find more than a dozen other baseball pros, from former University of Miami ace Cesar Carrillo to Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal to Washington Nationals star Gio Gonzalez. Notable coaches are there too, including UM baseball conditioning guru Jimmy Goins.

The names are all included in an extraordinary batch of records from Biogenesis, an anti-aging clinic tucked into a two-story office building just a hard line drive's distance from the UM campus. They were given to New Times by an employee who worked at Biogenesis before it closed last month and its owner abruptly disappeared. The records are clear in describing the firm's real business: selling performance-enhancing drugs, from human growth hormone (HGH) to testosterone to anabolic steroids.

Edit: The only real surpriser on the list is Gio, though it doesn't even look like anything listed in the article that he was getting from that clinic was a PED or banned substance. Hopefully this leads to some serious investigations, crackdowns, suspensions and bans. Fuck a juicer.

I hope motherfuckers start catching bans if there is enough damning evidence. Clearly a 50 game suspension isn't putting the fear into players and plenty of them see that as a small enough risk for a potentially huge reward of a wayyyyy bigger contract or the hope that whatever PED they're using helps get their team a pennant.

Also, I hope Arod doesn't retire and that the Yankees can't get out of the rest of his contract, regardless of whether or not he is able to play.

I'm pretty open about my hatred for the Yankees and PEDs. Arod just so happens to combine those two things into one despicable package, haha.

On another note, King Felix is getting a 7/175 contract. Shiiiiieeeeet. I'm rather surprised he didnt wait it out though, with how much pitching contracts have been going up year to year, and they certainly aren't going to go down any time soon. Going to be scary to see what Kershaw, Verlander and Price end up getting in the next few years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/mariners-hernandez-agree-to-seven-year-deal.html

In regards to steroid punishments, I want to see clauses in players contracts that if they test positive then their contract can be terminated by the team if they desire. Although teams might try to do some shady things to get out of a contract like spike a guys drink or something. Either way there needs to be harsher punishments.

punishment needs to be a lifetime ban from mlb and being forced to spend the rest of their contracts playing for the north korean national baseball team. 50 games is a joke, a year is still a joke, nothing but a lifetime ban will convince people to stop roiding.

Also blown away by felix getting 175 thats quite a risk on the part of the mariners not something they typically do.

To be dead honest, i'd say Felix is probably the safest bet in terms of big contract, top end pitchers. He's got a rubber arm, a good delivery, and he is a goddamn workhorse. And he's just going to be turning 27 in April. I picture him being like CC Sabathia and continuing to churn out 190-200+ inning seasons for a long, long while. Felix has pitched over 230 the last 4 years in a row. 200 in 2008, 190 in 06 and 07.