***2013 MLB Superthread***

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did people seriously expect the marlins to win with ozzie? Overpaying for jose reyes? Man they are a fucked franchise for the next few years.

I just wonder how much Josh Hamilton is gonna get overpaid this winter. 6 years and 125 mil by some team? I can envision him singing a huge deal and then going out to celebrate, partying it up at the bar. then getting some cocaine and a hooker while blacked out then choking the bitch and waking up the next morning with a dead hooker in his hotel room.

Marlins are definitely a fucked franchise, but Mike Redmond has the potential to be a spectacular manager. Complete opposite end of the spectrum of Ozzie. When he played for the Twins, all the other players and management had nothing but great things to say about the guy, even if he was just a backup catcher. Loria is out of his goddamn mind though and will probably try to have him fired after a couple months and continue the revolving door of Marlins' management.

And Hamilton is going to get more than 6/125 for sure. Apparently he's asking for 7/175, though I don't know if thats gonna happen.

edit:

where do you think josh hamilton ends up? seems like the fans turned on him out there, I won't be surprised to see him jump ship

He has said he's going to give Texas the opportunity to match any other offers he gets, so it does seem like he'd like to stay in Texas. To be honest, I think a lot of it comes down to Greinke. If Rangers spend big on Greinke, they're probably not going to go after Hamilton. If they don't, I could definitely see them pursuing him a bit harder. Also depends what other big free agent bats are doing.

I don't think any team is actually gonna give him 7/175

His contract would run until he is 38 years old, how many non roiding outfielders are worth 20+ a year at 37? let alone 38. Hamilton has 2 maybe 3 decent years left with him before he starts to be a drag on a team. Notice how his strikeouts jumped this season? He had a huge second half slump, and he is an injury risk only twice has he played more then 140 games. Yeah some team is going to overpay him, I hope it is the yankees, but I doubt some team is going to overpay him for 7 years at 25mil a year unless it is the yankees in which case I hope then sign him to bigger money then A-roid.

I honestly don't really care where he goes, as long as it's not the Giants. I've heard the dodgers mentioned once or twice, but them picking up ANOTHER big money outfielder makes no sense. I don't know, we'll see.

Pagan, scutaro, affeldt all increased their value this post season. I'm thinking one will stay, two will take relatively big contracts elsewhere.

I understand that the back end of his contract is going to be unpleasant, but the same can be said for Fielder, Pujols, etc. Teams pay them the huge money because they want to win now (on the front end of their contract). I'm not saying its smart in terms of the big picture, but thats the way it goes sometimes. Like I said, who knows if he'll get 7/175, but its certainly possible if you get two or more big budget teams who both have their hearts set on signing him.

And yeah, Dodgers have been mentioned, but thats never gonna happen. They are already on the hook for a bunch of big contracts and probably have a lot higher priorities than another power bat.

Ok comparing "fielder, pujols, etc"

Pujols is pujols, no comparison, he got paid for the draw, the numbers, the fact that with him you get one of the most popular non roiding (well not proven at least) players in the game. Pujols can hit and will continue to hit into his late 30's yeah once he hits the end of the road the contract is going to be a nightmare for whoever has it, but if he is chasing records which he will be and a sure lock for the hall of fame which he should be, then the contract pays off.

Fielder is only signed until he is 36, 4 prime years and its the Al, he is not the worst defensive first baseman (not saying he is good just not the worst) and you can hope that the last few years of his contract his pitch selection only improves which means he can't be that bad of a DH or trade bait and you pay a few years. Pitch selection for Fielder has only gotten better, you add in having Miggie to bat with and you have an offensive dou for years to come, I won't disagree that he is overpaid but it is still a better signing then Hamilton.

Hamilton is 31, not going to chase any records, slumped hard the second half of the season, has been known to be streaky in his career, injury risk, judging by previous comparisons is not going to age well, and has other issues. Really 7/175 I don't see some team overpaying that much for him. He was even having trouble with fastballs during his slump. He doesn't deserve the $, shouldn't get the $, but will get paid just not to the tune of 7/175. I could be wrong here some small market team trying to prove a point could pay him, the yankees could pay him, Theo could pay him if he dumps Soriano, but only a desperate team will pay him that much and what desperate teams with money do you have lining up for him this year? B.J. Upton deserves more $ due to age, upside, defense, if I was a GM I would regret doing 5/120 for upton but would do it.

Yeah, like i said, he isn't worth that much in my opinion, but we'll have to see how much value teams are placing on him. Any way you slice it, I think a team is going to end up with a contract that handcuffs them on the back end of it. Even worse if he goes to a NL team where he can't DH for the last few years of the contract.

In terms of BJ Upton: You can't seriously think he's worth upwards of 20m a year? Only two center fielders getting paid that much are Kemp and Wells. And the only other two above 15m are Granderson and Werth. Not that my team is going to be signing any outfielders, but I would certainly be furious if I was a fan of a team that signed Upton for more than like 4/50.

Edit: I mean, shit, Upton's batting numbers are nothing impressive with a career .255 average and .336 OBP. And his numbers were down in 2012 with a .246 average and a sub .300 OBP. If you're looking at WAR, he was at 2.6 in 2012, ranking 16th among center fielders. Granted, not all of them are on the free agent market, but to think that he deserves more than 10m a year seems completely insane to me. I'd even be mad if my team signed him for 4/40. It's also not like he's a young guy who we haven't seen at the major league level and he might develop into a way better player. Dude is 28 and has played 100+ games since 2007, and 40+ in two previous seasons.

• Like 1

Holy huge fucking Blue Jays/Marlins trade about to go down? And by huge trade, I mean for the Blue Jays. Marlins are either gearing up to lose their remaining 20 fans or they're freeing up money to make a push for Greinke or Hamilton or something.

6:39pm: Outfielder Jake Marisnick will be heading from Toronto to the Marlins, tweets Buster Olney of ESPN.com.

5:31pm: One source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link) that Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes, John Buck, and Emilio Bonifacio are all going to Toronto. Right-hander Henderson Alvarez and left-hander Justin Nicolino will be among those going to Miami, Rosenthal tweets.

5:15pm: The Blue Jays are on the verge of acquiring Josh Johnson from the Marlins, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Toronto will also land Mark Buehrle in the trade, sources tell Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link) and Morosi. The Marlins will receive Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavarria in return, Rosenthal tweets.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/blue-jays-close-to-acquiring-josh-johnson.html

edit to state that it really doesn't fucking matter if they make a push for big free agents, because that team is entirely dead in the water if they make that trade. I feel bad for Mike Redmond for coming into that fucking mess in his first season as a manager and also having to deal with one of the worst GMs in the game.

Tigers signing Torii Hunter to a 2/26M deal. That lineup is gonna be filthy in 2013. Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, Martinez.

I still can't wrap my head around the Marlins situation and just have to laugh about how fucking terrible of an owner Loria is. Read some rumor yesterday that their 2013 payroll is going to be like 12-25m. Ha. I feel bad for Giancarlo Stanton if he doesn't get traded too.

edit: realized i said "worst gm in the game" in my last post and meant to say owner. MLB has to get Loria the fuck out before he embarrasses the game any more than he already has.

And it just keeps going:

The Marlins aren’t done yet. One day after agreeing to a blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays, they’re shopping outfielder/first baseman Logan Morrison, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post (on Twitter). Furthermore, several general managers expect Ricky Nolasco to be traded as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Why had I never heard of Pat Venditte until today? So awesome.

From wikipedia:

Venditte is a switch pitcher, capable of pitching proficiently with both arms. He is recognized as the only active professional pitcher who is able to do this.[1][2] Venditte's rare ability to pitch with either arm required Minor League Baseball to create a rule for ambidextrous pitchers, known colloquially as the "Pat Venditte Rule".

On June 19, 2008, in his first minor league appearance with Staten Island against the Brooklyn Cyclones, Venditte pitched a scoreless ninth inning for a Yankees win. Before Venditte faced the last Cyclone batter, Ralph Henriquez, a switch-hitter, upon choosing to bat left- or right-handed (with Venditte subsequently choosing to pitch with the same hand), Henriquez would then go to the other side of the plate to regain the advantage. After this had happened several times the teams appealed to the umpiring crew, which ruled that the batter must first select from which side of the plate he intended to hit, and that the pitcher would then be allowed to declare with which arm he would pitch. Venditte subsequently struck out Henriquez, who slammed his bat against the dirt, to end the game.

When using his right arm, Venditte delivers over the top and can throw a slider and curveball, as well as a fastball at around 90 miles per hour (140 km/h) that tops out at 94 miles per hour (151 km/h).[4][25] His left-handed delivery is side-armed in which he throws a slider and a fastball that averages 85 miles per hour (137 km/h).[4] Though Venditte is considered a fan favorite and has excellent minor league numbers, he is not considered a top prospect because of his age and underwhelming fastball velocity.[26]

Venditte uses a custom made six-fingered glove with a thumb-hole on each side allowing him to easily switch back and forth.[4][27] He generally pitches with his right arm against right-handed batters and left-handed against left-handed batters which minimizes his opponent's advantage when strategically ordering batters in the line-up based on which side of the plate they hit from.[5] Furthermore, by splitting his pitches between his arms, he is able to pitch longer than traditional pitchers before becoming fatigued.

Venditte's rare ambidextrous abilities prompted the Professional Baseball Umpire Corporation (PBUC) to issue a new rule for dealing with ambidextrous pitchers, limiting the number of times that a switch-pitcher and switch-hitter can change sides during one at-bat. After consulting with a variety of sources, including the Major League Baseball Rules Committee, the PBUC issued its new guidelines on July 3, 2008. It reads:[28]

-The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to with which arm he will throw. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.

-The pitcher is not permitted to pitch with the other hand until the batter is retired, the batter becomes a runner, the inning ends, the batter is substituted for by a pinch-hitter or the pitcher incurs an injury.

-Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire. There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.

-If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.