Instagram. how does it work?

apparently how it works is all on self-promotion. Seems if you're a notorious writer who's been heavily active for a decade or more, you post all your new stuff, and then posts of your face, your wife, your kids, your identifyable tattoos, etc.

is anyone else baffled by this? I don't get it. It's like myspace all over again.

"cool" people

stupid is as stupid does

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

#instagram #selfie #2014 #lulz #krink #jordans #hashtag #raveculture #dogpictures #dogstagram #catdoingsomethingmildlyamusing #jdm4lyfe #docmartins #lastpersontoreplythread #dontbother #eraseitfromyourmind #lewblumwillwinanipod #postingisunnecessary #lewblumisvictorious #bieber #cleantrains #yogapants #lookatmyart #picturesofmydinner #iamsuccesffullandthisprovesit #thiscouldbeusbut #drake #weirdasiannewskappa

apparently how it works is all on self-promotion. Seems if you're a notorious writer who's been heavily active for a decade or more, you post all your new stuff, and then posts of your face, your wife, your kids, your identifyable tattoos, etc.

is anyone else baffled by this? I don't get it. It's like myspace all over again.

Some kiddy tried to start beef with Decy and within 10 min of his insta I had his real name, uni, and where he works.

I don't get this, I'm super para about my face online and even other writers ask me why and I'm like... DURRRRRRRRRR

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and get in on this trip, unfortunately. I like the online graf crowd simply because I get to see graf and talk shit about it, which is was 12OZ was for me.

I get inspired to paint and design when I'm around graf.

I haven't had the time to paint for almost a year now and have been ruthlessly been stocking paint. Now with 12OZ turning in to nowheresville I have all this paint and ebbing motivation to use it.

This place aint coming back, hence my drunken phoenix thread. So, guess I'll have to go where the crowd goes to get my mojo back. Sucks though, I don't tweet, I say next to nothing on FB

and in general prefer keep my social media footprint pretty light.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Fuck IG.  I've been using it kind of as a search engine, but without having an account.  Have noticed them making moves over time to limit my use as well as trying to force me to create an account.  Feel like I've dodged many of these attempts but there's either a lot of other people doing the same shit as me, drawing attention,  or their system is learning the loopholes over time and closing them.

• Truth 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, auf said:

I made a temporary account, I don't know why, maybe just impulsive. It's been a while,but I wanted to check up on it. First thing I noticed was the increase of adds and censorship. Not my cup..deleted right away.

One problem I'm seeing is the amount of non-genuine criticism. Which is creating a very shallow and fake community among all users. People are liking and complementing, giving positive feedback towards another user for their own social score. This development of censorship towards genuine criticism is manipulating the way people think by using a system of reward vs discipline and it encourages people to be artificially positive towards one another, rather than to  encourage you to express your honest feelings and thoughts on the subject. In other words. It is brain washing people with fear of discrimination because you tried to express your opinion.

Ever since I've witnessed the censorship online I've been very discouraged to use any social media. I find myself using the darknet more often instead for communication and for finding answers because of how biased things are now.

Best post I've read in a minute, but I'm biased as you're preaching to the choir here.

Anyhow, haven't seen you around  for too long and now seeing you pop up around the forum with insightful posts. Glad to see you contributing to the community on here and yes indeed, we do obviously support the freedom to explore ideas and concepts, however unpopular or 'tone deaf' as they may be in todays climate. I'm a believer that most everything seeks balance. Shit is obviously entirely out of whack right now and I would predict the pendulum will end up swinging just as far in the opposite direction before ultimately finding a point of equilibrium in which the process slowly starts over again. Anyhow, in the meantime, we'll keep 12oz as a platform of free thought, for better or worse, for as long as I'm able.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I finally kicked it. From a hobby standpoint I am losing a ton of connections, but on a cell phone addiction/reliance front I am fucking thrilled.

Hopefully the old paint thread will gain some traction if I keep it bumping, but I fear it might wind up just being a personal thread. 

• Props 2

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

I finally kicked it. From a hobby standpoint I am losing a ton of connections, but on a cell phone addiction/reliance front I am fucking thrilled.

Hopefully the old paint thread will gain some traction if I keep it bumping, but I fear it might wind up just being a personal thread. 

Pretty interesting to see how many more people are doing exactly that. Wasn't going to post this publicly, but no reason not to. This week in particular I'm seeing a significant uptick on here. Obviously a few threads almost feel like the old 12oz. Seen @seekingdrop through, @blood farthas recovered her account and is posting again, seen OG mod @sofarokregularly maintaining the travel and UK train threads, @STYLEISKINGstill swings through and throws in on a bunch of threads (be great to see him throw into the Toys thread and keep holding down the Burners and style thread, Seeing @One Man Bannedand @micahhawaiiessentially making the new forum about the best place to look at frights on the internet once again and certainly awesome to see how @Jokerwent from thinking he was just too busy with life to post regularly to almost single handedly holding down the Toys post here thread (freakin over 2000 pages now), and then there's a few new people and semi established lurkers (including @Limeliciouz, @aufand @ndvto name a couple) that have been logged in most days this past week or three for most of the day. This morning saw a massive spike in my start of day activity feed (165 new updates) which is substantially more than I generally see between the time I leave off before bed to start fo day each morning.

Based off my own experiences with the forum, I believe the tipping point will come at anywhere between 3 - 5x the current traffic levels, which is actually an exponential increase smaller than what we've experienced in the last 12 months. Not specifically saying it'll happen in the next year as there's just too many contributing factors that can shift this wildly in either direction, but for example, when we released the forum reunion tee, there was a very large increase in activity that has mostly sustained itself since. Crazy that I still regularly get messages form people that are just finding out that forum is back, but I still get them regularly. I do think that the clear (and getting more clear each day) decline of Instagram presents an interesting opportunity not just for our forum, but for online culture in general. Obviously I'll keep pushing to the best of my ability, keep spreading news, likely put together an another tee that celebrates the forum somehow and other programs that give us and everyone else an excuse to talk about the forum (outside the forum), come check things out and register or recover accounts. I also communicate with @Dirty_habiTon a daily basis and am constantly looking into server and software tweaks or other methods / references / ideas on how we can perhaps improve the '12oz experience'. (Actually planning a big site update for the main site so it isn't just an online store, that I believe will make swinging by the site in general a more compelling thing that in turn, should also bring additional attention to the forum as well).

Anyhow, you guys should remember vividly where we were 2 years ago... Literally 2 or 3 people logged in and even the popular sections showing threads that didn't have responses for days or even a week. Admittedly it does feel slow to me sometimes, especially when I have a bunch of extra time to pound the forum, but then again when I start exploring sections and threads I don't normally look at, I also come across some really interesting stuff. You guys might have also noticed that I've made it a point to contribute to the content as well. Not just posting comments, but taking the time to pull from daily life and interest and build out proper new threads. I try to think through a topic I find interesting, aggregate a few links and / or files that relate to a specific POV or help frame up the discussion and then release them. Sometimes they take off pretty quick, other times I need to sort of baby them along and cultivate them, but I will often hit up a handful of members I talk to pretty regularly and shoot them a link to go check it out. If I had a little more time on my hands, I'd treat some of these threads like blog entries and include a leading image and maybe some supporting images so it reads almost like an article. Perhaps even convert that into an Instagram post like other news sites do with their feeds so we can pull traffic over. Anyhow, point is that its pretty amazing that we're here having this conversation at all considering people had written off the forum as entirely done back in 2014 or so and it was essentially dead only a couple years ago. At least at this point we can all acknowledge there is a true community on here, even if for now its still a little small when comparing it to the old forum or the major players like Instagram. But we'll get there...

1717335804_ScreenShot2019-10-14at3_09_55PM.thumb.png.79ed55707a2c6b53864829baf4c8dd99.png

• Like 1
  • Props 3