Dogs getting high on marijuana is an increasing problem in Colorado

bustanut

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/dogs-high-pot-colorado-article-1.1172922

Pooches getting high on pot is an increasing problem in states like Colorado, where medical marijuana is legal.

Veterinarians say what used to be a rare problem is becoming alarmingly more common — and the results can be deadly.

“There are huge spikes in the frequency of marijuana ingestion [among pets] in places where it’s become legal,” veterinarian Dr. Debbie Van Pelt told CBS 4 in Denver.

When dogs get into their owner’s stash, they can get sick, staggering and vomiting.

“They basically [lose] a lot of their fine motor control, they have a wide-based stance and they are not sure on their feet,” said Pelt, who works at the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital in Englewood, Colo.

Dogs most commonly get stoned by eating their owner’s pot-enhanced foods. Dr. Stacy Meola, a veterinarian at Colorado’s Wheat Ridge Clinic said she saw two dogs die when they got into baked goods made with marijuana butter, commonly sold at dispensaries.

Marijuana-enhanced baked goods can be a danger to pets.

“[Marijuana] needs to be treated like any other drug,” Meola told CBS 4. “If you came home with a prescription of Vicodin from your doctor, you wouldn’t just leave it sitting there.”

The number of dogs that have gotten sick from marijuana has quadrupled in Colorado since the state legalized marijuana in 2000, according to a study by Meola.

While most dogs that ingest marijuana are back to normal within 24 hours of treatment, vets urge pet owners to keep the drug at a safe distance from animals.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/dogs-high-pot-colorado-article-1.1172922

Dogs most commonly get stoned by eating their owner’s pot-enhanced foods. Dr. Stacy Meola, a veterinarian at Colorado’s Wheat Ridge Clinic said she saw two dogs die when they got into baked goods made with marijuana butter, commonly sold at dispensaries.

Like brownies? Isn't chocolate toxic to dogs? Maybe that's what caused the fatality.

* http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dogs-and-chocolate-get-the-facts

I have been told that it's a lot worse with bigger dogs, and when they actually eat the green, rather than just the old smoke in the face. I was always very protective of my dog when my looser mates would try and get her stoned. It's a fucking dog man. They can't make a decision.

Also;

427911_545046615522428_1079739570_n.jpg

"What the fuck are you doing, I said cut the stem"

my friends dog ate a little under a half a tray of pretty awesome brownies. shit like a cow and acted like a horse for a few days. then he leveled out. probably the most chill dog when he's not being tormented by what seems to be severe anxiety and separation issues.

the dog also would just east straight up trash. anything that touched food pretty much. smelling Montgomery jack cheddar with burning plastic was the worst.