getting fired on friday

griteeth

For the second time in a calendar year I was fired on a Friday for reasons that are hazy, I guess it seems that "it's not working out, it's just not a good fit" are sufficient enough. I believe it was more about me not conforming to immoral business practices and techniques rather than my quality of work. on a fucking friday though. still have to return company property, may piss on it and include a photo of said act when I send it back.

Who else on the oontz is newly or longterm unemployed? one positive side is I'm still in school (college) but was employed for too short of a period to qualify for unemployment. gettingfuckedhardoner/ nh

for your troubles:

jessie.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I got laid-off about a year and a half ago. It's been a mixed bag as far as positives and negatives. The wife has an awesome job so with not having to pay for daycare or my commute we have been able to get by. Its been awesome spending time with the kids, but it sucks not having the disposable income we had before. I have had a few under the table side jobs here and there but nothing has worked out in the long run. My unemployment is about to run out here shortly so I need to find something permanent.

aw dude, id recomment against throwing in evidence against yourself.. shit on paper pag or something (for easy cleanup), take a few qtips dipped in that goodness, & just line the inside corners of everything youre returning :) just dont make the little streaks too obvious

i too, got fired about a month ago on a friday. i was working for a little while at this piece of shit chain restaurant sportsbar/chicken place - shit was borderline legal - these motherfuckers were trying to keep me locked down with minimal pay for prep, linework, barbacking, dishes, cleaning outside of the kitchen, & everything else including general upkeep. i also worked with this one dude my age, who was one of these "imma be a rapper, so i kiss my teeth at everything with my shitty attitude" kind of fella. the shift prior to my firing, i had also gotten in a screaming match with this wankster. fed up with this minimal pay for maximum hours of bullshit, i just decided to sabatoge myself into a firing while making them sweat. petty, i know - but i didnt even need the job by the end of that month either, so i said fuckit

friday lunches were the big deal - anyone whos worked in any kind of eatery with a decent turnover rate will know that lunches is when the office people gotta get their fill asap, as to return to work timely - but friday itself adds all kind of random people to that lunch diners

my shift was scheduled for noon, but i just sat at home burning with a big smile on my face. showed up at 1, & from across the way, i could see that the patio was packed. i walked in & the place was full, with about less than a quarter of the tables eating. even as i was walking to the kitchen stoned, i saw/heard people yelling & complaining to the servers, cancelling their orders, etc... i walk into this kitchen & my little rapper is just sweating in panic, trying to formulate any sort of logical order with a mountain of unseparated chits. i just did the dishes for about 10 minutes with a big smile, until the owner came to fire me with the last cheque. judging by the look on his face - that lunch rush probably took 5 years off of his life

good luck on your next jerb. you too, evil - i feel like were sort of in the same situation, except i dont have any children

Best of luck evil, I know what you mean.

I quit my job last fall/winter.

Since then havent had a permanent job-job.

Ive been trying to get this small business up and running.

Plus I do alot of side work, and it adds up if its consistent.

Fuck places letting you go for no reason, the employee-employer relationship

sucks these days.

Do an account of your finances, start being a little frugal while looking and do something

fun for yourself tonight to offset the shittyness.

Really unless you liked the people you worked with you were there just for the money,

you'll eventually find another place that will trade money for your time and now you have a little

free time to chill and get other things accomplished.

I would have to know more about the job that laid you off to comment.

I know plenty of piece of shit workers who get fired and always blame it on someone or something else.

I also know plenty of people who were screwed due to a business downsizing to make more money.

More details about the job and the situation around losing the job are needed.

Either way, good luck in getting a new job.

I got fired a couple months back, but it was my own damn fault haha. I started fucking off at my job on purpose cuz i had something better lined up, just didn't show up the last few days. New job was gonna hook me up with a truck, better pay and pay for gas/ hotel. Go in to take my drug test, get popped for alcohol from the celebration the night before like a moron. So not only do I miss out on the job, I burned my bridge at my shitty previous one. And construction isn't really poppin off these days. I do know one thing, nothing makes you feel like a bigger shitbag then places like mcdonalds won't even pick you up for the short run haha.

the job that laid me off was a UPS retail store franchise..they had fired my friend and manager about 2 weeks ago because they didn't like his style, and frankly he was a little too lax, but that's besides the point. the whole issue with this place is they charge over-screen prices on everything, if you don't know what that means, it's like if UPS direct says the price to ship something from here to kansas is 18.34$, with a profit margin for the franchise, they still up the price sometimes double, triple,

i saw people get fucked for over 3,000$ on one transaction shipping over 30 boxes. They basically tried to ask me outright if i'd play their game and fuck people all day long, and i gave them the truth that it wasn't a commission based job so idc about your numbers. I saw no extra money and there was no incentive to fuck people over.

have already thought of calling the local media/ups corporate to see what i can stir up. might not be worth my time.

my major is service based, I want to help people for a living and this job was flat against my morals but it did work for $

• Like 1

Sucks to hear man, I've been fired a few times before in my life, but usually at that point in time I'm doing so many fucked up things at work that they have no option but to fire or I am walking out the door flipping my boss the bird.

I got fired from one job for bring a playstation to work, drinking beer and playing tony hawk. Boss showed up as I was smoking a joint in front of the place, and I somehow ended up getting a .50 raise out of the deal.

So where I live is a right to work state. Essentially it means that you can be let go for no reason whatsoever. It also means that when you get fired you are entitled to your back wages immediately. So if your fired on a Friday it is easier to put in a check request on a monday or wednesday to ensure that you pay someone off completely. Just my thoughts on why friday. plus you get a week of work out of someone while you look for a replacement so you shorten the amount of time transitioning.

I've had exactly two on-the-books jobs- six months at a bike shop and six months as a caretaker- since I "retired" from messengering in 2006.

At the time I wasn't exactly planning on getting out of the business. I had to get hurt on the job pretty badly before I started to question whether riding a bike for a living offered anything resembling a fair exchange for my time and skills...money is kind of meaningless when security and mutual respect aren't commensurate with dues paid. More often than not, this attitude made my employers feel somewhat uncomfortable if not downright threatened, because they were accustomed to having the upper hand in an exploitative industry and all I asked for was for them to do the right thing...or explain why they weren't doing the right thing. I usually got what I wanted, but at the expense of being known as somewhat hard to work with....and when jobs got scarce, I decided working harder for less money with a bad neck and shoulder sounded like a bunch of bullshit.

Since then I've been doing odd jobs and volunteer work...keeps me out of trouble for the most part. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but I'm not everyone.

Got into a fight with my old boss apprx a month ago, motherfucker threw a plate at me so i clocked him, quit, and now sell drugs and baked goods. Couldn't be happier.

so you drive around one of those mexican bread trucks I see up in the hood?

Also man since you've gotten fired twice in a year it might be time to think of a new career.

You can look at this one of two ways. The first way is your approach.

The second way is: IT'S A FREE MARKET. Are you really "fucking over" the customers? I don't think so. You're just providing a service for "X" cost.

If the customer doesn't like the price they can go somewhere else. Put yourself in the customer's shoes. If the price sounds right, he or she will bite. If it's too much for them they can walk away. As long as you aren't pressuring them why feel bad?

The people that spend the money feel the price is "right" and are willing to pay x dollars for the convenience your store offers them. They would rather use your store than waste an hour of their time at USPS or somewhere else. They could also set up their own UPS account, in which case they will likely pay a similar price to what your store charges since the UPS account prices are based on volume. The average joe is not using UPS for multiple packages every day.

Business and life are not "fair". The idea of fairness and what is the "right" price is going to differ depending on the people you deal with. I used to think about things similar to your reasoning but as I get older things are less black and white.

Another good thing about free markets is that you can find a new job. It sucks getting fired but the best thing is to move on and keep this experience in mind both good and bad aspects.

I feel alot of what you're waying YW, no doubt it's on the customer to pay it and in some cases become return or regular customer. even though we were on the UES where people could "afford it" fuck that, maybe I wasn't there long enough to be able to come to my free market capitalist senses.

Even though my shitbag manager openly admitted there was a profit margin built in to the price on the screen, they felt it wasnt large enough to survive/be millionaires it needed to constantly be upped. not to mention the myriad of problems this kind of policy presented.

you're right, lesson learned. i'm out for self on the next job and just going to do what ever it takes until i graduate.

One door closes another one opens man. Just get out in the market and pick something

up asap before you start to get comfy, My industry ain't bad, get paid for fucking around with

other peoples money. Coincidently I have to bare a low wage for Aussie standards. Moral of the

story is find a new fucking job and get ya paper up.

tumblr_m6o7b6OX751qcbrcyo1_400.gif

Got fired from the Gant store for being too hungover all the time (and not complementing the 50 y/o female manager enough).

Got fired from the club for going to a gig I said I couldn't work and passing out in the VIP bathroom (got the job back then got fired again later).

Got fired from a wine bar for going to work stoned and pouring the wrong wine into everyone's glasses.

Got fired from the liquor store because I banged another employee (female), told her no when she tried to love bite my neck then she freaked out, bailed on her next shift, quit and ratted me out for drinking the occasional mid-shift beer (amongst other things).

Just goes to show, grit, a lot of people don't understand our value :D