12oz's current state makes me fap/complain

casekslays

Re: 12oz's current state makes me sad/pissed

the whole website became an ad.

there were some interesting things going on... early on. then the retard troop came through and everything became ignant. this website became the asshole of forums as soon as people realized they could just log on, call a couple people faggots or niggers and call it a day instead of coming up with original, interesting content. that on top of regurgitated memes and people just reposting shit they saw on 4chan or reddit, it became old.

there was no true discussion anymore. any time someone would bring up a new idea he would be called a faggot quickly and the rest of the thread would turn into chaos. "props" was also a stupid thing to add and took away from the possibility of creating an identity for yourself. you were no longer a name/personality. you were a number. one guy doesn't like something a new guy posts and puts him into the red, that kid is generally doomed. Any sort of visible system like that is just an all around terrible idea. why? well, lets say you make a thread about some stupid shit you did last night. Including pictures and hilarious story to go along with it. you are about to get the same amount of "props" that the guy who just called you a faggot without reading the OP. Why try when the bar is set so low?

all that, along with moderators that just didn't care anymore so they don't get rid of problem posters, makes for a website that everyone leaves. That's why I did... and I probably should have left long before I did.

I just popped in to see how everything was going since I left. Seems like it's been plummeting. Take care.

i'd agree with you except. moderating is a thankless job until someone needs you badly, then they are all over you.

but the second you step on the toes of a member, you get hate rained down upon you, unless you are in some exclusive moderator clique... so please, don't pin the issues of the community's maturity level on on moderators

as for the entire direction of the site, it's not mine and i never paid for it. so whatever happens happens.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i try to make threads and jokes and shit on here, and it sometimes works.

my life's not nearly interesting enough to make threads all the time though

I go through that too, and I don't exactly have what could be considered a "normal" lifestyle. (gay joke goes here)

If I were to contrast what interests most of you with what interests me, 12 oz would seem like a very odd choice. But for whatever reason, it works.

That said, I have learned a lot on here.

i'd agree with you except. moderating is a thankless job until someone needs you badly, then they are all over you.

but the second you step on the toes of a member, you get hate rained down upon you, unless you are in some exclusive moderator clique... so please, don't pin the issues of the community's maturity level on on moderators

as for the entire direction of the site, it's not mine and i never paid for it. so whatever happens happens.

I agree, and am aware. I've been a moderator on a few other forums and understand the bullshit you and others here have to go through. although, on other boards 30 "free blahblahblah" or "why did you ban blahblahblah? he didn't even do anything, fuck this place" type threads weren't allowed.

And I'm not saying all mods didn't care or try. it seemed as though some (not going to name names) stopped caring though. And it isn't all anyone person or group of people's fault anyway. At first a couple of stupid dudes going around calling people faggots and niggers and forcing their ideas on people by just being all around assholes was funny because it didn't disrupt the main flow of things. at this point im sure it wasn't seen as a moderation issue. unfortunately, like a disease, these people took over. it got to the point where it seemed most people were scared of anything new... or agreeing with anything new before someone with forum "pull" did, so they wouldn't be outcasts. Which is really fucking stupid.

then there was the idle threats and broken promises of the mods. saying this or that is the new law and 1 week later no one is enforcing it. i don't really know what it is like now, but in this thread alone it seems like there has been some progress. I don't see the usual jabs from the usual problem characters. so maybe it has turned around. now it's just up to you guys to do something with it.

main thing is creating original content. I think the last OC thing I did on 12oz was the green jello made with vinegar and tuna fish recipe that I found in an old magazine. it was fucking disgusting. but that's all it really takes to make this place interesting again. you doing some bullshit and documenting it.

also, keeping out the trolls and idiots by ignoring them. any time you fight with a troll (i was guilty of this as well... mostly with dao) it feeds them.

I still have no idea how DAO got any props at all. everything out of that dudes mouth was pretty much garbage.

I do not use nor have I ever understood the ignore button.

If I do not like what someone else is doing, I just do not reply. Too simple.

Why would anyone want to not hear what someone has to say, even if they disagree with it?

It just seems to me that it is throwing out the bushel because of one bad apple. Hearing what someone says that you hate, at a minimum gives you a opposing viewpoint. Who would want to be in a place where everyone is just like each other. Sounds boring.

I do not have anything against Boxcars (even though I think he does have me on ignore), but I think what he is suggesting would make 12oz like every other dumbass forum out there. If someone would want someone else dictating what they can say and how they say it, then they should go to another forum.

I use the ignore button because some people have absolutely nothing of value to contribute to 12 oz. I know that sounds harsh, and admittedly it's a matter of opinion, but I just can't be bothered sometimes.

And if someone feels like that about me, that's okay too. I can't please everyone, nor do I want to.

I didn't mean ignore by using the ignore button. I meant just ignoring them. I also don't really use the ignore button. For one, any time I ignore someone I ended up clicking "show post" anyway just so I could hate them more, and for two just because someone says some dumb ass shit one time, they might eventually "get it" and start contributing.

I don't have you on ignore cilone. Not really sure why you would think I did.

PM about to be sent shai

Got that, ILB. Thanks.

I realize that a broken clock is right twice a day, but if someone's sole purpose/goal on 12 oz is to annoy everyone else than I don't really care if they have something insightful to add once in a while. It's easier for me to write them off and look for quality elsewhere.

The flip side is that it bothers me when someone like ILB checks in and says "Oh well, things still suck, I'll be back in six months." I understand that it's his prerogative to do that, but it makes me feel like I'm not doing enough to keep the quality posters engaged...unfortunately, what it comes down to (and what it's always come down to) is that 20-30 people in Channel Zero generate 80-90% of the content. That cast shifts over time as new people step in and others move on, but I think it causes people to burn out a lot faster than they would otherwise.

I've paid attention to the group dynamic here over the years because a) Channel Zero as a community is pretty unique and b) it never fails to surprise me in how it reacts to different situations.

it's not really that I decided to stop showing up... it's just that I stopped showing up. If you look at my post history you will see that my posts got more and more spaced, and those were pretty good indications of when I actually bothered to even stop by. And I wasn't really stopping by to say "oh it sux bro's, peace!" I was just going to see what was going on and not say anything... but there was this thread at the perfect time and I figured input from someone who has left would be interesting.

For the record, I wasn't trying to guilt trip you into explaining your side of things because I get where you're coming from....but it is discouraging to see people fade out and on some level know exactly why it's happening.

I would post more about what goes on in my life but it's hard to decide what's worth sharing that will get a (mostly) positive response. In the meantime, I'll just comment on what other people are talking about.

I would post more about what goes on in my life but it's hard to decide what's worth sharing that will get a (mostly) positive response. In the meantime, I'll just comment on what other people are talking about.

I do this. I have written numerous threads about stuff that happens in my day to day, and never hit "post". Most of the time, it is because I do not want to hear the bullshit.

I just write it off as my own insecurities.

shai I'm going to proceed to get extremely drunk tonight. shai I might be in the east bay for drinks tonight for the womans birthday with some friends you are welcome to come hang out if you want and I'll cover you on some drinks. Not sure whats up tomorrow or the rest of the week but you are welcome to come out just about whenever, my girl is in oakland a few times a week to work at her studio so she can always scoop you up if you want a ride. I rarely make it over anymore been going more woodsy places instead when I get out of the house.

The biggest problem is that saying anything in threads anymore just feels like virtual masturbation.

Back when knightbats were going crazy, goose was posting nutty shit, glik's and Dhabz were goin ham against each other, political arguments were still poppin, and the community was continuing to grow, it was pretty nice. I honestly think everyone started to think they were hard, and the general level of intelligence dropped. The wit, and the depth of content dropped off, and ch0 became a clusterfuck of cultural echo's from around the rest of the web, and people stroking their ethug dicks to the death knell of 12oz's overall enjoyment.

There are really only a few threads which still are pretty awesome. There are still a lot of really good and cool people here. But it will never be what it was.

Meh.