12oz's current state makes me fap/complain

casekslays

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 12oz's current state makes me sad/pissed

I do this. I have written numerous threads about stuff that happens in my day to day, and never hit "post". Most of the time, it is because I do not want to hear the bullshit.

I just write it off as my own insecurities.

I think everyone does this...and it's a shame, because people claim to want good content then in the next thread will shit all over someone for going out on a limb and saying "check out what I did today." That's kind of confusing.

As I said before, what I consider good content is not going to always jibe with what you think is interesting or what Casek would like...but it's a given that anything outside of this certain spectrum of taste that exists on 12 oz will almost invariably get panned.

Considering what the forum is about and the demographic involved, Channel Zero is a fairly conservative place, in that it doesn't embrace change in a way that I would consider constructive or progressive.

Illuminati- I'm kind of caught up in ESO at the moment, but you can try texting me when you get here and figure out what your plan is.

CILONE-

I haven't found it if it's there. I think the format and the time were an important function in what was going on here. The dedication to turning a message board into something more, a function of the shared aesthetic that drew us all here in the first place, was really the heart of the matter.

Facebook and other new media formats put, not really the kaibosh on it, but it drew our attentions to other content driven interactions. That, and 12oz's transition to focusing on the actual "site" rather than the forum.

That is why I think it is the interwebz evolving, not necessarily 12oz going down, which seems to be also happening.

I think things are changing, that is all. The down side is that 12oz is not what it was and we can reminisce and try to pull it back to what we want, it will never happen. We have to change or accept our current role. I do not like it, but that seems to be what we are looking at.

BTW, Raven, at least say whats up every now and then.

The log in problems combined with the the overbearing adds drove a lot of people away.

That plus the fact that most people only internet with their phones these days while they're out and about kinda shortens the attention span needed to keep up with this shit. Plus it's kinda a pain in the ass to post shit from your phone/ipod. Especially when you're out and about and doing other things.

Maybe that's a good thing though.

The log in and other technical issues were the straw that broke the camel's back. Yeah there was the slide in quality (I've only been here since 2007, but it was still firing back then) and people were dropping off. But when people can't log in the choice of participation is basically made for them.

In all honesty, I only stay for the graff section. I come in here to argue about cops and upset Cunt_Eastwood and that's about it.

^^

comments like that last bit (which Cunt_Eastwood will no doubt respond to) is what kind of starts the derailment of each thread.

Everyone has the right to argue but the constant baiting of each other fills threads with rubbish and generally adds very little to the discussion.

still I guess I contribute nothing so I'll get back in the corner now.

• Like 1

Something I wrote recently that relates to what's being discussed here-

Something to consider is the fact that when 12 oz came about, forums were the primary social networking medium and image hosting wasn't that user friendly...also, affordable web access was still a novelty then. Just getting online took some initiative and skill, so most content was thoughtful and intelligent because the users and audience appreciated the medium.

Now it's thoroughly democratized and anyone with a cell phone can get in on the action and post lolcats and pictures of anything and everything on Facebook...and if you were to ask Joe Sixpack why he did it, he'd probably say "dude, everyone else does it. duh" or something to that effect. Sometimes it seems like there's no real intent or emphasis on quality within the ADD/instant gratification/visceral response crowd that doesn't place any value on what they share or who they're sharing it with.

It would be nice if 12 oz was the exception to the rule, and in some respects it is, but since it relies on user generated content from a fairly specific demographic there's not too many surprises there.

Compounding that is the fact that forums have been losing ground to social networking because forums tend to cater to specific interests, whereas with FB it's mainly about seeing who's around and being seen by whoever's around.

Despite all that, 12 oz does what it does well and it still has a dedicated community that keeps coming back. When it's slow or annoying or frustrating to use, we make threads about it out of loyalty, stubbornness and habit.

Hell, I've stuck by 12 oz longer than any job or girlfriend, so there you go.

It seems like some people still care about what happens around here, so maybe things aren't so bad. The question is, "What do we do with that?"

I think that's why this conversation is mildly different than every other "let's bitch about 12oz."

This one is a lil more practical in asking if there is anything to actually be done.

I think you can take the ideas that shai and I are putting forth and actually sort of model it in economic terms. What is the barrier to entry, and what is the cost of contributing to the market? These days, it's high, and the potential return isn't high enough.

In this example 12oz moderators and dev's are the market forces, and we are the firms producing services and goods.

Van- you aren't.

12pack- It's definitely Casek.

Crooked- I guess you could think about it in those terms, but I think what has us being a little more introspective/receptive is the slow down.

I don't have a problem with the moderators or Raven. I have had problems with some of my Channel Zero peers, but more often than not it usually came down to a difference of opinion that got resolved or dropped over time. I do think that Raven should communicate more with Channel Zero because we are a pretty substantial part of this forum, but that's not up to me.

As far as airing people out on here, it's just not worth my time anymore. Believe me, I can do it, but I don't get any satisfaction out of being a jerk regardless of whether it's justified or not.

Unless we're talking the air out of the '08 incarnation of COS

I was getting wasted in Reno with Suki and company when when I found out I got banned for that. As I recall, the reason Seeking banned me was "Shut the fuck up."

i was gonna say something.

but then i didn't.

the internet has evolved, 12oz used to be a primary source of internet shenanigans in a lot of people's lives. but as the series of tubes has become more complex many have added chans, reddit, facebook, instagram, etc to their routine. our society as a whole has evolved to be much more internet dependent, and with that evolution more and more facets of our 'needs' are met by different sources, and those different sources are constantly competing to get a bigger piece of the pie--YOUR TIME. 12oz isn't even trying to compete because little shit (like the ability to log in) has fallen by the wayside.

in 2001 12oz and bolt.com fulfilled my e-needs, and i was able to 'put in work' on both. in 2005 it was 12oz, facebook and myspace, and i had no social life so i could still be an active member. now i just don't give a fuck. as long as the nonsense thread gets a few pages a week i'm satisfied with 12. if i occasionally get to neg mclovin, even better. i've dropped off how much i post significantly over the last 6 months, but so has everybody so i'm still one of the 'key' (by post count) members of ch0.

without new blood to fill the ranks, and with the old blood unable to log in this place will keep dying. unless the technical shit gets fixed, no matter what work we put in to reinvigorate the forum, this place will be nothing but sad memories and wasted potential.

also, get rid of props. what used to bump threads and keep shit moving is now kept between individuals and their cp. /nochrishansen. more posts=more content, more thread turnover, and more energy put into conversations.

I don't mind a drift in the conversation, but when it constantly devolves into pissing contests it doesn't bode well for the overall mood.

I have a proposal- let's try to not take shots at each other in this thread. It might not work but it would be nice to try to show some respect for casek and what he's trying to say here. Or was trying to say, since he seems to have stepped out of the building.

It's good to see some of you back and participating.

that was a lot of read since i last checked in...

i wonder how many people got me on ignore? i admit i have been drunk may o times on here and stirred up shit and created many screen names some failed and got mega tamp'd and others i have been propped so hard i even got 10,000 nerd points with one post, i think it all depends how bunched pantys are at the moment. i created these alter egos to help liven shit up on here, i dont know where i was going with that i'm drunk again, carry on.

Plain and simple..."times are a changin'"

l wonder how many people are dealing with financial issues and life in general as opposed to getting on the oontz all day. I rarely log on because there just isn't anything that compels me to do so, unless topics like so arise that are comment worthy. i hate to say it, but are people getting bored with the internet?(memes used to be awesome until it became ad nauseum) I will say for sure that I am. I couldn't care less about the on goings of figureheads in social media, the next big topic... life is getting very real compared to the days when i would get home from high school and get stoned and dick around on the oontz.

also when one makes a topic that would lead to interesting conversation...some dick derails the thread. i pretty much check the front page.. style and burners , then ch0 then im out. i guess this is the transition from internerd to someone who's trying to do something with their life. goofin on the net doesn't seem to coincide too well with what im trying to do..for now.

• Like 1

^^^I had something like that typed up but just deleted it and said fuck it.

I still check in about twice a week or so, but most of the time I just lurk. I Check up on a couple threads and go on about my interwebz business.

Mostly logged in to say: protester, glad to hear your lady is ok.

• Like 1