Man shot and killed in Times Square NYC by PO PO.. Justified?!

Pfffffffffft

An ex-Marine wearing military clothing opened fire on more than a dozen co-workers at a New Jersey supermarket early Friday, killing two of them and himself, authorities said.

The 23-year-old man left his shift at a Pathmark store in Old Bridge Township around 3:30 a.m. and returned a half-hour later to the closed store with a handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said. About 12 to 14 workers were still there.

The man fired at least 16 rounds from the rifle at the first workers he saw, killing an 18-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man as other workers hid, Kaplan said.

"I do not believe that they were specifically targeted. I believe everybody in the store was a target," said Kaplan.

The gunman then killed himself, said Kaplan.

He did not release the name of the suspect, but a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation identified him as Terence Tyler, an ex-Marine who was discharged in 2010. The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because his agency is not in charge of the investigation.

Tyler, an infantryman from Brooklyn, never served overseas, said Marine spokeswoman Capt. Kendra Motz. She wouldn't comment on the circumstances of his discharge.

At the top of a Facebook page for a Terence Tyler who says he served in the Marines on the exact dates of the shooter has this slogan: "Be optimistic. All the people you hate are going to eventually die."

Tyler moved to an apartment near the Pathmark earlier this summer, neighbors said. Co-workers said he had been only working at the store for a few weeks.

Pathmark worker Miranda Miranda said she steered clear of Tyler. "The way he looked at me, he gave me an uneasy vibe," she said.

She had worked on the overnight shift Thursday night into Friday morning before switching a few weeks ago.

"Right now, all I know is what keeps coming into my mind," she said. "That could've been me."

Tyler spent the July 4 weekend drinking at Jersey shore bars with Manase Acheantong, who said Tyler was his friend's cousin.

"We went out. We had drinks. He was a normal kid. He didn't start no fights. He didn't seem crazy," said Acheantong, 25, of Old Bridge.

John Niccollai, president of a foodworkers union that represents some store employees, said Pathmark officials and workers told him the gunman wore military clothing and had just punched out for the night before coming back into the store and opening fire.

Many of the employees escaped gunfire, Niccollai said, when an assistant manager, "who I would view as a hero," helped many workers to get out of the store through the back door.

Kaplan and police walked through the shooting scene at the supermarket Friday morning, with two long windows in the front completely shot through. Police kept onlookers away; a number of vehicles were in the parking lot outside, along with police cars.

The store and its parking lot were closed

These PTSD Vet's are going to be causing law enforcement/society problems for a decade to come.

There will be an increase in police shoot-outs, its a when not an if.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These PTSD Vet's are going to be causing law enforcement/society problems for a decade to come.

There will be an increase in police shoot-outs, its a when not an if.

A lot of them are coming home to be cops themselves.

What better job can you think of for somebody who loves the rush of kicking in doors and shooting people in the face?

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all these trigger happy police shootings going on lately are done by war vet cops.

Of course, what better job for a trained dog.

Its just unfortunate that they cant all play one big game of cops and robbers.

Where those who get shot and killed aren't civillians, Iraqis or New Yorkers and

only PTSD, power hungry, rabid mother fuckers die.

Alas this world dosent work like that, so you will always have those who should be killed, killing other

people who arent familiar with anything like that.

Fuck em, let them shoot each other

wow.

posts like that make me think about the post-vietnam sentiment towards vets.

i'm glad we've come so far.

Fist,

I know that came off harsh, and im not taking it back but it was worse than I meant to come off due to being drunk.

I know obviously of your military background, as well as the annoying old troll and I promise you

I didnt mean YOU dissrespect. Unless youre psycho and want to go out and shoot people, or become

a member of law enforcement my comments were not directed at you.

Simply put, I wish all the war pigs could find themselves an island or desert and shoot it out

and not expose society to that, or become in a position of power just to harass, kick in doors

and shoot guns...at people(who dont need to be shot).

My friends and family are members of several branches of our military, I know most of you guys arent like that, but I can see the changes in some and they have become loathesome people.

• Like 1

its all good, my butthurt is in check.

i'd just ask that you be cognizant of that sentiment and remarks like it for all vets. these wars are fucked up enough, and yes vet ptsd is a problem that we as a society will deal with for decades to come. we as a culture fucked over vets that wanted nothing to do with the vietnam war out of ignorance.

just watch those comments in public--dudes that deal with it are having a hard enough time w/o catching stigma and hate from the citizens they believed they were defending.

Fair play man.

Im not a troop hater, I just feel like our wars are misguided.

Thats not your fault, its the shitty people who run/ran our country into

senseless wars for who the fucks knows, vendettas, oil, military strategical placement...whatever.

Not trying to give anyone a hard time, well of course unless they're a douchebag.

wow.

posts like that make me think about the post-vietnam sentiment towards vets.

i'm glad we've come so far.

It's what happens when you wage a war that's unpopular with the people, as well as a war where an occupying force from afar is fighting determined people in their homeland. We didn't learn much. But, Osama got taken out, and that much was cool. For the record, I'm pretty much a support the troops not the war type on most military efforts in the past 50 years. And now, back to cops gunning people down.,.....

a lot of troops are support the troops fuck the war kinda people, but they do what they signed up to do and get hit with a brunt of misguided frustration and hate.

(not directed at anyone here) if you've got energy to waste hating soldiers for what they've been a part of, refocus your energy to the people that drove our nation into that fight.

acab.

its all good, my butthurt is in check.

i'd just ask that you be cognizant of that sentiment and remarks like it for all vets. these wars are fucked up enough, and yes vet ptsd is a problem that we as a society will deal with for decades to come. we as a culture fucked over vets that wanted nothing to do with the vietnam war out of ignorance.

just watch those comments in public--dudes that deal with it are having a hard enough time w/o catching stigma and hate from the citizens they believed they were defending.

Treating people as a violent threat can often create a self-fulfilling prophecy as well.

However, it would also be irresponsible to deny that there is an increased security challenge given the spike in trained men with combat experience throughout general society. Heightened capability means heightened risk, simple as that. Psychological trauma can make things more challenging. Proper post-combat support is the best way to reduce that risk.

Treating people as a violent threat can often create a self-fulfilling prophecy as well.

However, it would also be irresponsible to deny that there is an increased security challenge given the spike in trained men with combat experience throughout general society. Heightened capability means heightened risk, simple as that. Psychological trauma can make things more challenging. Proper post-combat support is the best way to reduce that risk.

Im not painting anyone as a boogieman.

Just stating a security concern that is obvious.

You're acting like this is some off-put thing,

several examples in the last few months of vets popping

off and killing people, or themselves.

I agree that these men and women need care, they're not treated right and

some lose themselves in it. Then they become dangerous to society, and thats the problem.

Im not painting anyone as a boogieman.

I agree that these men and women need care, they're not treated right and

some lose themselves in it. Then they become dangerous to society, and thats the problem.

At the risk of not upsetting you, I pretty much agree with what you're saying. More trained people is higher risk, more of them with traumatic stress the greater the risk. Just another unfortunate fact about war.

Regardless of the reasons given for the Iraq war, it's planning, execution and strategic rationale were disasters in and of themselves. Rumsfeld, Chenney, Perle and others are responsible for these decisions. The failures of that adventure are still playing out in the M/E and the US.

and in the scheme of ALL the shootings and murders that take place, is the number of vets involved above the societal norm? or is it just a means of making a headline?

and is the number of suicides a concern to the public safety or the public's responsibility to its vets?

i'm not denying the security element, but as only about .45% of america currently serves, and less that 1/3 of that is actually trained in combat above and beyond basic marksmanship is this really a population large enough to merit the threat the headlines have told us we're under?

To me its not about day to day murder.

Most of us know the general type that do commit murders,

and at the same time, everyone's capable.

Im more concerned about Vet's since some are in fact combat trained

and unlike alot of people, although im starting to doubt this now, theyd be

able to possess superior guns/armor/gear.

They also just arrested 5 lads for staging a small coup in the military.

Getting more dangerous as they come back at a higher rate.

Theyre people who know how to shoot, kill, dodge fire, organized and some are

mentally unstable from warfare.

Thats why I worry about them more, theyre the type like these James Holmes faggots

that might burst into a movie theatre and let loose, at least more than the crack dealer on

my corner.

why are they more likely than anyone else?

of the significant shootings in the last several years how many of them had vets involved?

you throw james holmes in there with vets based on what??

because they're trained?

over the last couple years the solid majority of violence committed by vets has been suicide or killing their families. there have been a handful of shootings--the grocery store recently, but that example does nothing for your case.

in that shooting did he exemplify his training in any way? did he kill tactically or kill with an efficiency that stands above the average citizen?

anders breivik. james holmes. cho seung-hui. eric harris. dylan klebold. etc etc etc. how many of these high count shootings involved combat vets?

interesting.

All good points/questions.

Well you've got the one today.

You had the crazy muslim at Fort Hood kill over a dozen.

There was just a shooting in my city last week at a VA building involving a vet.

The guy who went nuts over in Afghan and killed like 22 people(significance being anyone capable of doing that woud be probably kill again no matter where.)

Earlier this year the Marine vet out in Utah who was growing weed open fired on and killed a jake or two.

There have been four suicides at one base half an hour from me and is getting federally probed. Again these people are at a higher rate of mental illness/suicide.

Watched a news/Tv special the other night about gang members using their military training

to kill cops and shit.

You've got me on the mass/public shootings.

They are always, like 99.5% just weirdo, bullied kids who some fucking how get guns.

I don't have alot of solid evidence to back my suspicions, call it a gut feeling.

Also another little interesting piece

http://www.businessinsider.com/brandon-raub-suing-government-2012-8

Why do you think ex-Military are being targeted?

I have a friend(ex-marine) who's scared about this shit and is actually in hiding, sorta.

i missed whatever happened today.

Earlier this year the Marine vet out in Utah who was growing weed open fired on and killed a jake or two.

this is an erroneous example. the fact that he was a former marine has little/nothing to do with the incident. an individual caught in a criminal endeavor shot cops. that shit happens all the time.

i kind of see the robert bales incident under different light, and there is still a lot of fog around the case. what information is public and generally reported does make this incident a case that supports your viewpoint.

nidal hisan was not a combat arms soldier, nor did he have ptsd, his crime is atrocious and was premeditated. fuck him, that shooting has no place in this conversation.

veteran suicide is a huge problem, however it is still below the average for the rest of the population. as long as the reaction of the public is 'oh god those vets have guns to kill with' instead of 'oh god those vets need our help' the tragedies are going to continue.

if we are a society that allows our government to lead us into unjust wars we must take responsibility for our actions. if however, we decide, that we as a society do not want to be thrown into war we must make an active voice and protest our involvement in them.

i don't know that vets are being targeted, at least, thats not the word i would use. i think it sells. fear sells. bullshit sells. violence is down, but perception of violence is up because of media presentation. has been for years. throwing "vet" in a headline is a gimmick.

i'm tired and kinda drunk so i hope this made sense.

Tyler, an infantryman from Brooklyn, never served overseas, said Marine spokeswoman Capt. Kendra Motz. She wouldn't comment on the circumstances of his discharge.

I know there has been a whole long discussion since this was posted, but did the folks talking about PTSD miss this part? Or was there more to the story that I missed?

And yes, I am aware that PTSD doesn't necessarily have to be as a result of combat/war, but that is certainly the type that we're talking about.

• Like 1

throwing "vet" in a headline is a gimmick.

This.

While there are certainly situations where the person's military past plays a role in the crimes they commit, I feel like it has become an easy way for people to try to lay the blame on a group instead of the individual. I'm not arguing that some of the crimes aren't as a result of PTSD or other issues that could've been triggered or worsened due to their combat experience, but often times it just feels like a way for people to make the military or the government the scapegoat for someone's own actions.