Dear OONTZ

Crocodile Tears

So since participation has been down to barely nothing and the last year, I'm one to talk, I've not posted nearly as much as I have as the past in the last year, but I figured I would just say whats been on my mind lately.

I made a thread a while back about, technology traps that opened up a considerable dialogue enough to make me think you guys (whats left of you) might engage in what I was just pondering.

With "bands" like LMFAO and movies like TED, people Sara Jessica Parker on magazine covers I feel every day that genuine talent good ideas and tangible beauty are just fading and fading. People are not in the business of selling anything with legitimate value attached to it at all anymore. The amount of real genius or capability out there is being watered down to less then zero. Todays marketable society is constantly FAKING each other out. Like everyone has become a car salesmen and there is nothing intrinsically good left. And in the event you do find something Real or Solid, you're going to have to pay through the nose to indulge or partake in its goodness.Sara jessica Parked totally tricked people to believe she is beautiful. Lmfao said we can do just as much bullshit as the Black Eyed Peas and then some. Ted as a movie premise is not even remotely laughable, and the previews are based purely on hype, who the fuck would see that garbage?

Maybe its because I've gotten a little older but I feel like everyone is just faking the shit out of one another. Fake it till you make it. Even the losers I work with, if they get pressed to man up or answer something on the spot, there is always a consultation or some form of check in or check up. I've heard the expression 10% of the people do 90% of the work, I never really gave a shit about expressions like that because I always worked at most of my jobs to the best of my ability and maxed out the time there, but now I am starting to believe its just a game. Im addressing the oontz before I take this conversation into my own real life. Anyone know where I'm coming from?

Yeah I'm looking at you CreamyPotatoandHoes. you've been pretty chatty on here lately.

p7ZnJ.png

I've always been more of an ass man, since watching the girls gymnastic team on the summer olympics as a kid, boobs are cool and all but you know.

inb4 did not read lolz

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add a much more well rounded statement later on

But ive been saying this shit since I could form my own opinion.

I never understood how 90% of the people who got famous did, I mean fucking look at

autotune. People are famous for having a fake voice, and on their own couldnt sing twinkle twinkle

little star better than a five year old.

Everything is this way, we have a president who got elected because he was black.

But basically before I hurt my brain too much, youre absolutely right, and it is all about

free loading and riding coat tails until youre far along enough you can just coast.

Thats why I find it hard to stay motivated, no matter how talented or great you become

there will always be some fucking bozo getting famous for talent-less garb while there are genuises out there starving and struggling.

Fuck merica and the media machines.

In 1990 when a movie came out about a guy who had scissors for hands a friend of mine said that all the good ideas are gone and the game now is to simply sell bullshit. I'm assuming that myself and my friend are a good deal older than yourself and the average person on this site. I'm implying your age and level of awareness of he world is more than likely the thing here.

Mike Nesbit of the Monkeys died a few months back. The Monkeys were the first ever manufactured band or even Boy Band. The Sex Pistols were essentially a creation of Malcom Maclaren and Vivian Westwood, another boy band. This shit of 'faking it' has been around for decades at least. And I'm willing to bet that you could go back centuries and find composers and play writes that aimed at output/returns rather than authenticity and ingenuity.

One thing that I find interesting is trends in pop culture, sub cultures and identity.

I have done no reading in to this so I may be full of shit. But when my parents were young there really was only one kind of 'youngsters music', pop music such as the Beatles, Elvis, The Monkeys, etc. It's essentially blues/country/folk. The 60s started flower power, psychadelica, rock, then you had disco, rockers, mods..., then punk, glamrock, heavy metal, hip hip, dance, electronica, goth, grunge, emo, that clown face shit, etc. etc.....

In the 80s and 90s you pretty much identified yourself based on music, sport and activities. I, of course was a 'bomber' but started out as a 'head banger' and was a bit of a 'skater'. We had Westies, Waxheads, goths, hippies, whatever. And a lot of it seemed to be based on music genres. That seems to have died out now. After things went all 'pop' and 'R&B', I'm not sure anything else has actually happened.

I still listen to the same radio station that I did when I was 15 and I still watch Rage (Aussie MTV). But I haven't seen a new sub-culture for years (hipsters don't count, they're essentially recycled ideas of other genres - as in straight up copies, not modifications).

Maybe I'm just not recognising it.

TLDR, blah blah.

The media machine, well put.

Without putting on a tin foil hat or anything, I'm just gonna say that:

False news is in place to distract the populace from the real stories. Like the fact that the world economy is on the verge of total collapse or a branch of the American government was forcing the sale of weapons to Mexican cartels. "Those stories are scary and you shouldn't worry about them. Look brittny spears flashed her cooter again!" The fact is that there are forces at work that don't want thier agendas fucked with. The fact that the daily show had to be the one to break the simplot's story in Idaho is a fucking disgrace.

When I was in the Navy I saw the products of our society, apparently at some point parents stopped raising their kids, let alone disciplining them. Most of those kids had never worked a day in their lives, and where offended when I told em to get up off their asses and get to work. "But why do I have to do it? Why do you always yell at us?" There where exceptions, kids that had grown up on farms, or had had to hustle here and there to get buy or where a bit older (23-24) that had had to work real jobs like construction, salmon fishing, oil fields etc. Those guys where my salvation, and they carried the whole division. While the rest just did the bare minimum.

So yes I have seen it, I know exactly what you are talking about. I was raised to believe that you can judge a mans character buy the quality of their work. Whatever that product is.

Somewhere along the way kids stopped having to deal with failure.

Example: My step son just got a trophy for little league, and his team fucking sucked. Lost more games than they won. Last year the team he was on won the championship and got the exact same trophy. God forbid some fat kid that throws like a girl and is terrified of the ball get his self esteeme damaged. Failure isnt derided and excellence isn't properly rewarded anymore. So kids learn that the amount of effort you put in to something doesn't matter, because everybody gets the same reward.

• Like 2

i read in a magazine on the flight home from vegas that calvin harris initially wanted to be a singer but turned to electronica and "djing" because he was afraid in todays music market singing would not garner him success.

personally i think hes garbage at both, but if another up and coming vocalist feels the need to start producing dubstep to "make it", i think were in for a shitty future.

Disclaimer; I saw Edward Scissorhands in the movies, as ridiculous as it was there was actually a theme there and a bit of a nice story, anyway anyway, I'm not saying the idea hasn't been around. But I am saying its practically all thats left, all the good stuff has boiled away. Now its all processed and its just about doing what someone puts all up in your face, a good sell. Everyone down to regular joe nobody is their own hype man.

AUTO-TUNE.

Todays music as a medium for stardom is wrong all together if you think about it. Its the silly mans hero. Its like Ice Cream, who doesn't like it. Does it really "do" something? Like pose a solution to parabola in an economics formula? The first rock-stars were geniuses. Mozart, Bach, Liszt. We've come a long way.

I over heard some chick say at some pr event "rescue dogs are really in right now" SERIOUSLY, people jumping in on an idea that is only worth something Because Bono did it or Denise Richards got a shelter pet, not because its the better thing to do or the right thing to do, but because someone wants to be seen doing it.

I'm far from some noble citizen but, I mind my own nose. I would rather people underestimate then over estimate my ability. I never try to hype up mine. But selling dreams and having people believe Niki Minaj dressing the way she does all of a sudden is the real her being herself is just pure horse shit and its become so "normal" people... are missing it, or saying its always been around.

• Like 1

It's been like this since the late 90's/early 2000's.

I honestly believe there's a conspiracy in the music industry Illuminati to deliberately dumb down the masses.

There's always been blatant garbage shoved down peoples throats by the pop industry, but it was always overshadowed by the legit shit.

These days there's absolutely nothing in the main stream at all that doesn't make a normal person want to put his head through a wall.

It's like the fat cats who are in charge of recruiting the people who they're going to throw millions of dollars at deliberately find the absolute brain dead, talentless, annoying hacks to sign to their labels and pay the radio stations etc to promote.

And the most brain dead, talentless, annoying hacks to run the air waves and promote said garbage.

I really don't even see it as a generational thing like "oh, I'm just getting old", because there's music from both my fathers and my grandfathers generations that I can appreciate as real music.

But this latest generation is completely bankrupt in every sense other than the millions of dollars that's being showered on them to make America stupid.

• Like 1

Adele was one of the only fresh acts out there, I feel the same about the Black keys.

Look at Rap, I remember last year/few years ago everyone got all hype thinking a new batch of sweet rappers were coming out. Wiz Khalifia, Wale, J cole, Big Sean, Drake etc etc.

Everyone started talking about rap music making a revival, which of those clowns could stack

up against anything from the 90's?

They're all garbage, except maby J cole.

Every single movie that comes out is a sequel, re make, or the same formulation of:

Heres the good guys, everything starts getting good, a problem occurs and a climax is reached where everything falls apart and then it all ends in a fairy tale way that makes everyone ''happy''.

Even politicians spew the same garbage and cant divulge from party lines because it'd be too much for the average shit-for-brains person to understand the concept of a Republican being pro-choice(if they even know what that means) or a Democrat in favor of loose gun laws.

Somewhere along the way kids stopped having to deal with failure.

Example: My step son just got a trophy for little league, and his team fucking sucked. Lost more games than they won. Last year the team he was on won the championship and got the exact same trophy. God forbid some fat kid that throws like a girl and is terrified of the ball get his self esteeme damaged. Failure isnt derided and excellence isn't properly rewarded anymore. So kids learn that the amount of effort you put in to something doesn't matter, because everybody gets the same reward.

Good Point.

This is so weird, my nephew SUCKS at baseball and his team came in last. EVERYONE got trophies. I was at the ceremony all Dafuq, How the hell do you get awarded for failure? If there is a trophy for last place whats the incentive? Just convince yourself you're dope and someone is going to eventually buy it?

Edit;

Must spread rep Cunt_

In 1990 when a movie came out about a guy who had scissors for hands a friend of mine said that all the good ideas are gone and the game now is to simply sell bullshit. I'm assuming that myself and my friend are a good deal older than yourself and the average person on this site. I'm implying your age and level of awareness of he world is more than likely the thing here.

Mike Nesbit of the Monkeys died a few months back. The Monkeys were the first ever manufactured band or even Boy Band. The Sex Pistols were essentially a creation of Malcom Maclaren and Vivian Westwood, another boy band. This shit of 'faking it' has been around for decades at least. And I'm willing to bet that you could go back centuries and find composers and play writes that aimed at output/returns rather than authenticity and ingenuity.

One thing that I find interesting is trends in pop culture, sub cultures and identity.

I have done no reading in to this so I may be full of shit. But when my parents were young there really was only one kind of 'youngsters music', pop music such as the Beatles, Elvis, The Monkeys, etc. It's essentially blues/country/folk. The 60s started flower power, psychadelica, rock, then you had disco, rockers, mods..., then punk, glamrock, heavy metal, hip hip, dance, electronica, goth, grunge, emo, that clown face shit, etc. etc.....

In the 80s and 90s you pretty much identified yourself based on music, sport and activities. I, of course was a 'bomber' but started out as a 'head banger' and was a bit of a 'skater'. We had Westies, Waxheads, goths, hippies, whatever. And a lot of it seemed to be based on music genres. That seems to have died out now. After things went all 'pop' and 'R&B', I'm not sure anything else has actually happened.

I still listen to the same radio station that I did when I was 15 and I still watch Rage (Aussie MTV). But I haven't seen a new sub-culture for years (hipsters don't count, they're essentially recycled ideas of other genres - as in straight up copies, not modifications).

Maybe I'm just not recognising it.

TLDR, blah blah.

You're spot on about a lot of what you just said.

Especially the part where in the 80's and 90's your identity was based on the music you listened to.

And yeah there's always been manufactured boy bands and other garbage from the Monkeys in the 60's to Vanilla Ice and New Kids on the Block in the 80's etc, but there was always better shit getting play to overshadow it.

And I know Malcom Maclaren has been taking credit for years for inventing the Sex Pistols, but really all he did was give them instruments and tell them to make music and put them on tour.

They were already "punks" before they started hanging out at his store, it's not like he told them how to dress or wrote their lyrics. You can't exactly equate them to a boy band.

I was about to come in here and say Adele as well.

DAO, I agree that there is more manufactured shit out there these days (You should see China, Korea, Taiwan, etc., the manufactured shit IS the basis of music entertainment! They're actually going to go the other way, the good, unique and talented shit will come later on in the curve, interesting stuff and let me tell you, the Chinese are as talented as fuck when it comes to music. As soon as they get some originality going on you're going to be astounded at what comes out of that joint. Just hope it happens in our lifetimes.).

I see that as a result of development, though. There are more modes of communication available, more awareness of business models and access to resources (money, people, ideas, etc.). So successful models proliferate throughout the system. Dudes want to make bank, they see a successful model and they use it.

All that means is that there is a market for what we here see as formulaic, mass-produced, uninspired crap. People actually like it. It's why we see movie and music remakes all the time. "Hey, that made us a lot of money with teenagers in the 1990s, let's make more money with the teenagers of the 2010s too!". It works, people bank.

The motivation to make bank is greater than the motivation to make original quality.

And that's why I don't agree with Eviltrailer77. There is no need for some 'in the shadows' agenda to pull people's attention away from the world's problems (and by the way, I think you're wrong. The econ crisis, Syria, Mexican cartels and other shit is front and center in all the news and much of the social media I see). There is already a natural motivation to pump out formulaic, superficial shit - people like it.

Don't need to manufacture it, it comes naturally and will only increase as communication increases.

* Edit, lol, DAO. I thought of exactly the same thing when I read that about Obama. I'm not partisan about Rep or Dems but you can also add Iraq, Afghanistan, WoT and a whole bunch of other shit in to that picture as to why Obama got up.

• Like 1

No you fucking dogwhale faggot.

I already know your knowledge of politics is flawed past retardation so I wont even argue with you.

It had hardly anything to do with his opponent, and if you didnt know, which id be far past suprised if you actually knew anything outside of beating your chest and spewing vacuum like statements you'd know that McSame had 47-49% of the popular vote.

Take out the people who voted for Obama for no reason other than hes black, and there is no way he would of won atleast if it came down to popular vote.

...... you'd know that McSame had 47-49% of the popular vote.

Take out the people who voted for Obama for no reason other than hes black, and there is no way he would of won atleast if it came down to popular vote.

Are you assuming that many people did vote for O based on his race or is there reliable figures for that?

I don't have an opinion, I'm just asking out of interest in politics.

False news is in place to distract the populace from the real stories. Like the fact that the world economy is on the verge of total collapse or a branch of the American government was forcing the sale of weapons to Mexican cartels. "Those stories are scary and you shouldn't worry about them. Look brittny spears flashed her cooter again!"

You're right about there being a lot of false news in the media that's made to distract people from the real issues, but both examples you just gave have been and are being covered pretty extensively by the main stream media.

I find that people who claim that shit that's all over the news "isn't being covered by the news" tend to not watch the news.

And the government didn't "force" Mexican cartels to buy guns, they set up a sting with tracked guns to try and catch them by tracking their movements. And they fucked up.

sadly, todays generation knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Oscar Wilde said that, what,100 years ago or thereabouts. Nothing changes, people are always going to feel disenfranchised at some point, in one way or another. When you were teenagers everything was new and exciting, you had few worries and was less cynical...then you grow up. Humans suck, always have, always will.

I think you're wrong though, there are genuine artists/artisans out there. You just have to make the effort to look. Or, as the Dali Lama said, be the change.you want to see in the world.

/end drunk ramble. Someone make me a cuppa tea, please.

No you fucking dogwhale faggot.

I already know your knowledge of politics is flawed past retardation so I wont even argue with you.

Actually my knowledge of politics will eat you alive and shit you out on your mothers door step.

Please feel free to test me.

And FYI :

obamavictorymargin.png

And the government didn't "force" Mexican cartels to buy guns, they set up a sting with tracked guns to try and catch them by tracking their movements. And they fucked up.

100% agreed. This dude being tried right now needs to go to prison for a long time.

100% agreed. This dude being tried right now needs to go to prison for a long time.

Not for nothing but the main dude trying him (Darrell Issa) was all for Fast and Furious back when the Bush administration first gave it the green light.

Which was before Eric Holder (this dude being tried) was even attorney general.

When the Fast and Furious story broke it got little to no coverage. The congressional hearings and Obama invoking executive privilege to save Holders ass did get covered. The level of coverage does not equate to the level of attention it garners. To believe that the ATF actually thought that it could "track" weapons once they crossed the border is a leap of blind faith that I'm not willing to make. The pending economic collapse has been covered but the average 'Merican is more worried about Lindsay Lohans next meltdown.

That graph does not add anything to your argument and takes nothing away from my link.

If I learned anything from ch0 I learned entering into any dialogue with you or even reading the things you post is purely moot. From beginning to end. You have the ability to cancel yourself out and have no idea you've done so, like a zombie that does not know he is dead.

Are you fucking stupid?

Hilary would have been about a thousand times better. Go ahead and let the sexist jokes rip, Obama was not nearly experienced enough for the position and he has proven that.

Not directed at you, DAO, politically we're probably pretty similar (except on some social issues I'd guess). Just a dash of opinion.

Adele was one of the only fresh acts out there, I feel the same about the Black keys.

Cosign the fuck out of the Black Keys, never listened to any Adele really. But I know she was/is quite popular.

Look at Rap, I remember last year/few years ago everyone got all hype thinking a new batch of sweet rappers were coming out. Wiz Khalifia, Wale, J cole, Big Sean, Drake etc etc.

Everyone started talking about rap music making a revival, which of those clowns could stack

up against anything from the 90's?

They're all garbage, except maby J cole.

Wiz Khalifa fucking blows, and can't do a live show to save his live. Fuck that giggly faggot. Wale had it for a minute, then signed to MMG and got generic as fuck, regardless of his rhyming ability. I'm a huge Meek Mill fan, but there is nothing super special about dude, or any of that team. J Cole I will cosign to the fullest, and truly DO believe he brought something fresh.

But hell, even the "hip-hop is dead"/"hip-hop is coming back" argument is tired as fuck. You're still hearing it, and have been since long before Nas did that album.

Every single movie that comes out is a sequel, re make, or the same formulation of:

Heres the good guys, everything starts getting good, a problem occurs and a climax is reached where everything falls apart and then it all ends in a fairy tale way that makes everyone ''happy''.

This I take some issue with. Gasface mentioned it in another thread, but this can be solved with patience and looking for the right movies. The Oscars may be overhyped and guessable/rigged, but they still highlight a few great movies every year. Or you can go independent.

The true "movie era" was over in the 1950s, when going to the movies still held a sense of magic. Second hand observation coming from me and anyone else on this board, but you'd be hard pressed to find a dissenting opinion. Even so, there was still a staggering amount of dreck produced by major studios. There have always been shitty movies produced with big budgets and tacky stars, and there always will be. Just as there will always be legitimately well written and acted ones that are a pleasure to watch. And you can DEFINITELY find films from the last few years that don't follow that sunshine and puppy shit formula.

Even politicians spew the same garbage and cant divulge from party lines because it'd be too much for the average shit-for-brains person to understand the concept of a Republican being pro-choice(if they even know what that means) or a Democrat in favor of loose gun laws.

See above where I criticize Obama. Congress will not play ball, because neither side will capitulate to the other one on ANYTHING. Rather than be decisive, Obama has harped about bipartisanship for the last 4 years, and done very little to enforce or enact it. (Yes, I'm aware someone may very will make a point to mention the healthcare, but what about the fucking economy?)

Well this was fun. Channel Zero lookin' like Crossfire in this thread.

• Like 1

* @ Eviltrailer

Since when has the average person been all about foreign affairs, security issues, global econ and a lot of other higher altitude issues anyway?

Most people have enough on their plates to worry about regarding career, family, enjoying their time here, etc. to spend time educating themselves on that shit. And as some one who is paid to research I will also add in order to educate yourself to a valid degree on such complex issues a fuck load of time and determination (a bit of education doesn't go astray as well) is required.

Being informed that shit is going down is one thing, that takes reading shit like NYT, Foreign Policy, Economist, some other non-US sources, etc. Even being informed you need to spread yourself to get a number of viewpoints. To actually know what you're talking about and to come to your own credible conclusions takes some pretty serious commitment in time and money.

People don't have time for that when running small businesses, families, studying, traveling, dancing, falling in and out of love and generally living life.

Oscar Wilde said that, what,100 years ago or thereabouts. Nothing changes, people are always going to feel disenfranchised at some point, in one way or another. When you were teenagers everything was new and exciting, you had few worries and was less cynical...then you grow up. Humans suck, always have, always will.

I think you're wrong though, there are genuine artists/artisans out there. You just have to make the effort to look. Or, as the Dali Lama said, be the change.you want to see in the world.

/end drunk ramble. Someone make me a cuppa tea, please.

Maybe it's different on your continent, but here in the States even the "underground" shit is mostly garbage.

It didn't used to be that you had to dig so deep to find good music because a good enough amount of it was discovered and put on blast to the mainstream.

One thing that puts it more in perspective for me is when I hear some old 80's or 90's song that was whatever to me when I was a kid because there was so much better music being played, but when I hear it today I can actually appreciate it more as actual good music because of how fucking terrible everything else being played these days is.